Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

please help, car rental in uk licence requirements

Options
  • 24-07-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi

I hope someone can help me. We are planning to go to uk this weekend and was wondering if it was possible to rent a car though neither of us has a full licence for a year. I have mine since oct 07 and my hubby has his from feb this year. How strict are they when you are booking a car, do they check licences thoroughly?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A bit late now I know, but if I was you I would have just taken my own car across on the ferry!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The issue is not if the rental company check your licence but rather their insurance cover. If you get involved in an accident and a claim is made against the rental company's insurance carrier or you damage the hire car then the insurance you took out may be void.

So it may really be down to you if you want to take the risk of driving a rental car which may not have your insured on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check T&C for the company you'll use. Perhaps there's one that don't need a full year?
    Often you need to be over 23 or 25 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

biko wrote: »
    Check T&C for the company you'll use. Perhaps there's one that don't need a full year?
    Often you need to be over 23 or 25 though.
    Majority look for three years and over 25.

They are fairly strict on this. Airport ones are particularly busy, and you are taking charge of nearly new cars, so they need to be strict.
    They also take a large deposit off your credit card.

There are a small number who might accept less but at such short notice, I think youre stuck with public transport.

There is a possible way for periods of a few weeks or longer by entering in to a short lease agreement, no minimum requirements on age/licence, but probably of little use in your time allowance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

maggie797 wrote: »
    hi

I hope someone can help me. We are planning to go to uk this weekend and was wondering if it was possible to rent a car though neither of us has a full licence for a year. I have mine since oct 07 and my hubby has his from feb this year. How strict are they when you are booking a car, do they check licences thoroughly?

thanks

In my experience (and I've hired in the UK a fair bit) it's a bit hit and miss. They take your license and note the number, generally nothing else.

There were a few occasions when I had to explain to them that the 'issue date' was not the same as the 'valid from' date when I had recently renewed mine.

The insurance could also be a problem as previously mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement