Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric windows problem - Suzuki Vitara

Options
  • 24-07-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a 95 Suzuki Vitara 1.6 JLX.

It has electric windows front and back. Neither of the rear passenger windows were working when I bought it but I never noticed, story of my life.

I fiddled about with the switches holding the centre console switches up/down while trying to operate the door switches. Lo and behold one of them started working. Naturally I have no idea of the sequence that got them working. I suspect it is a child proof lock of some type but I can't deactivate it.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Did you buy it private or from a dealer and how long ago?

If it was a dealer then you may have recourse under SOG act, if it was a private sale then you're stuck with it.

It could be as simple as a loose wire or the loom connector on the back of the switch panel is not seated correctly.

First thing I'd do is see can you remove the panel with the switches and fiddle with the connector / wires while operating the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It was private sale and otherwise the car is in great shape. I'm really happy with it.

I don't mind too much if if have to fork out a few Eurospons to fix the window but I'd hate to do that if it was a child-lock thingamajig that I just didn't know how to re-set.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get a €2 test lamp in motor factors. pull out the back door switches leaving wires connected. clamp one end on an earth point ( door catch on car frame etc) then test all the wires coming to the switch. If the lamp lights on one of the wires, the power supply is perfect.
    If you have power, then pull switch to open window and check all points again. test lamp should now light when on original power supply wire and another wire. if only original wire lights, switch is ****ed. If two wires powered, your problem is at the motor.

If nothing at all lighting at the switch, you need to go further up the system and first check if the front switches are deactivating the rears

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you know there's a window lock button on the drivers door? although if this was activated, I reckon the front passenger window would be locked too.

Clever. Thanks Mick I'll try that over the week-end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hagar wrote: »
    I don't mind too much if if have to fork out a few Eurospons to fix the window but I'd hate to do that if it was a child-lock thingamajig that I just didn't know how to re-set.

No offence intended but have you read the manual?
    (if all else fails, RTFM :D)

On most cars there's a switch to disable all windows except the drivers - do you have this? It's normally on the drivers door beside the window controls but as you mentioned 'centre console' then maybe not. I'd be surprised if the front passenger still worked though if this was on.

As I said, see can you access the back of the panel, it looks suspiciously like a loose connector.

Edit:note to self - refresh before reply cos colm beat me to it....

Yes I did my best to RTFM. :D

It's in bleedin Italian. :D:D:D
    I live in France and the cheap source of imports here is Italy.

On the drivers door there are two window controls, driver and front passenger. Centre console as I called it, is just behind the handbrake and controls the two rear windows. There is also a switch on each rear door controlling it's own window.

I disconnected both switches on the centre console and re-connected them so that the switch originally for the right door controlled the left door and vice versa. They worked just the same so I'm reasonably confident that the switches are not at fault. The window mechanism in the door might be faulty but because I managed to get one working by the witchcraft of holding one switch up while pressing another I thought there was a child-lock feature which was not documented in the manual.

Still open to suggestions.

Try this.

http://pdftown.com/Suzuki-Grand-Vitara-Service-Manual.html

Was one of the few hits that wasn't a rickroll.
    Limited download speed though.

Advertisement