Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Pump

Options
  • 24-07-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Just wondering if anyone can give me info on the following:

Have 2 showers upstairs in std 3-bed semi (1 Main Bathroom / 1 Ensuite)

The pressure in both is ok only - would like it to be better and was thinking of installing a twin 1.5 bar Stuart Turner pump in the hotpress.

Q. Can these pumps run passively i.e. I would like the option of switching off the pump but would the pressure with the pump off be less than without it there in the first place?

Q. Has anyone any experience with the Monsoon range of pumps and if so how noisy are they and how effective are the rubber anti-vibration feet?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi,

I have a simular setup but in a apartment with attic conversion, firstly i would consider doubling the pump size to a 3bar, extra cost would be minimal and it will really give that power shower feeling much more so than the 1.5bars ones i have had in the past. Second the cheapest place for the pump will be one of the home value hardwares which are usually just a builders providers.

As for vibration, the rubber feed to dampen it but a heavy item to sit the pump on is better. Mine is on its rubber feet on a concrete sub floor directly and vibration through it is not an issue. Secondary vibration was a bigger one for me such as the pipes connected to the pump vibrating against the wall, wrapping them in foam insulation reduced it.

As for noise, it will be noisy per say but nothing compared to the noise of an electric shower, you could reduce the nosie by filling the cavity of the stud walls with a heavy insulation and fitting a solid door to your hotpress but i havn't found it to be an issue either. The noise is more of dull rumble nothing offensive to the ear and you become immune to it.

Re the pressure after you fit the pump, yes the pressure will be reduced as there are impellors in the pump chamber that the water has to flow around (slowing it) vs unimpeded in the pipe. Also if your pipes at 3/4" where the water enters the pump is only 1/2" which the hose is 3/4".

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

monsoon are good pumps but make sure you get a brass-body one as opposed to a plastic body ,there might be a few quid in the difference but its well worth it in terms of noise,theres also great deals to be had from uk websites if you want to save a few hundred euro,

Advertisement