Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

catalpa tree seeds

Options
  • 24-07-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

While on holidays I collected some catalpa tree seeds and they sprouted in ten days in a seed sprouting tray. It remains to be seen how this tree will take to Irish weather but since it was thriving in northern France it should have a good chance, I’ll continue to grow the sprouted trees indoors and in a cold frame for this winter.

Anyway if anyone in interested in some free seeds I would have enough left over to send about 15 seeds to 4 people.

PM me if your interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

Hi could i get some off you,are you in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Kaldorn wrote: »
    Hi could i get some off you,are you in Dublin?

got your PM,will have them in the post over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Hi siochain

I'd be interested in some of those seeds if they are still available?

no worries PM the details

Hi Siochain

Got the seeds in the post today ...... thanks a million.

Fingers crossed I will managed to grow them now and not kill them!

• Advertisement

I got them too thanks very much,i have them in a pot with a platic bag over it..hope that works

Must put plastic over mine too!

best of luck folks, I'm sure you'll have them sprouting in no time,

cheers

Well my seeds are sprouting now and looking very healthy if I do say so my self. Planning on leaving them now for a few weeks and then repot them hopefully!

Hi JakieO,

Great to hear yours are going well.

Have to say they are the easiest tree's I've ever had to germinate, the grow very quick it's 7 weeks since I started them off in a germination tray and they are growing in pots outside and up to 7".

I hope they survive the winter; they are hardy to zone 5 so they should be OK .

Cheers

• Advertisement

one of mine has germinated aswell and i have it outside with no cover so i am very happy to far

I still have mine in the kitchen. Was terrified to put it out. They are about 2 inches tall now.

Good to hear they are coming well, the one's I have growing inside are thriving but the one's outside have started to run into problems.

The started getting white patches then wilting off and some have died. Its a bit like a white fungus and when you rub it some comes off. Anyone have any ideas as to what it is?

turns out its powdery mildew

DO THESE TREES LOSE THE LEAVES IN WINTER?

Kaldorn wrote: »
    DO THESE TREES LOSE THE LEAVES IN WINTER?

sure do, but not yet

only 1 germinated and i put it in my porch and it died,am quite p1ssed off to be honest,any chance of getting a young one off you,i can pick it up and take better care of it next time

yeah sure, pm me and we'll sort something out.

Advertisement