Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from USA - Customs

Options
  • 24-07-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I want to buy clothes from an American Website, and im just wondering, whats the deal with customs here in Ireland? will i have to pay anything extra?
    Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Revand

yeah you will have to pay customs duty on the goods you purchase, I bought clothes from the U.S and was charged an excessive amount for duty. this is broken down by the total cost of goods charged at about 14% (Customs duty). this is then added to the total then again the overall amount calculated with VAT. however you should be weary of your purchase as they have tendancies to overcharge :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

i was wondering the same thing myself. I am buying a kayak from the states. Including shipping it will be $400, how much customs will I pay on this? is it the same for electrial goods etc? I have looked on the revenue site but can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

Mackman wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I want to buy clothes from an American Website, and im just wondering, whats the deal with customs here in Ireland? will i have to pay anything extra?
    Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks! :)

the trick is dont buy too much and you should avoid any extra charges. My last purchase from shepler.com cost 32 euro and I got no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i bought about 1500euro worth of stuff and brought it home through the suit case no hassel, but when ordering online got caught for goods being over 100 euro had to pay custom duty worth 30 euro or something had to go to kilester to pay it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

i was wondering the same thing myself. I am buying a kayak from the states. Including shipping it will be $400, how much customs will I pay on this? is it the same for electrial goods etc? I have looked on the revenue site but can't figure it out.
    From what site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You only have to pay duty if you get caught! It's a gamble really. Something as bulky as clothes... I wouldn't fancy my chances. If it was something smaller like make up or Jewellrey, I would risk it. For example, I bought my hubby a sat nav from the states, cost about €100 cheaper than it would have done here and I wasn't caught for duty.

On the upside, they are increasing the allowance to €150 in December. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

ncmc wrote: »
    You only have to pay duty if you get caught! It's a gamble really. Something as bulky as clothes... I wouldn't fancy my chances. If it was something smaller like make up or Jewellrey, I would risk it. For example, I bought my hubby a sat nav from the states, cost about €100 cheaper than it would have done here and I wasn't caught for duty.

On the upside, they are increasing the allowance to €150 in December. :D

150 where did you get this info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

I think that allowance only applies to goods you bring in at the airport, i dont think they are increasing the amount you can bring in through the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ah that could be it, I've been racking my brain trying to think where I read that and can't remember and now can't find it on the net either. I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

From what site?

Its from www.paddlerscove.com the price is $300, with $100 shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

ncmc wrote: »
    Ah that could be it, I've been racking my brain trying to think where I read that and can't remember and now can't find it on the net either. I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing!:rolleyes:

cheers mate
    a friend mention this to me before but i cannot find any sources that confirm it

if i find anything i will post here

Advertisement