Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Take Out Food In Blanch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Does anyone know if Shimla is back open yet? It's my favourite Indian by a mile and I'm lost without it..

Jaipur is so much better, one of the best spots for Indian food in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It was still closed when I was up that way last Thursday.

There was still a mound of rubble outside it when I passed it, and a note saying some along the lines of trying to get it back open asap. :( I was really looking forward to a vindaloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Apache has great pizza.

Mandarin Castle is the tastiest Chinese around imo and they'll deliver to Blanch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I think Mizzoni are excellent. I've never been disappointed with their pizzas.

They do wagon wheel and mega-wheel pizzas aswel for when you're really hungry!

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Does anyone know if Shimla is back open yet? It's my favourite Indian by a mile and I'm lost without it..

EEEEEK! :eek:

Anyone know if it is re-opening or what the story is etc?!!!

I just adore shimla

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Macari's on Blanch Main St. without a shadow of a doubt. Up there with best take away chips available anywhere - gives Burdock's a real run for their money.

I have a American friend who comes over to visit me to Ireland now and then and the first thing she wants to eat as soon as she gets here all the way from California is a feed of Macari's fish and chips.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

Thai Garden. Thai Garden. Thai Garden. Oh my, I want to go there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

kamobe wrote: »
    Salvetta's is lovely - I order from there quite a bit. They have this chicken burger thing where they cut a chicken fillet up and place it in ciabatta like bun with sauce and lettuce. *drroool*.
    where is this place in corduff?? is it the chipper at the shops????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

poindexter wrote: »
    where is this place in corduff?? is it the chipper at the shops????

Yes, best chipper in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

Abrakadabra in Blanch Village. You're always welcome as long as you are too pissed to see properly buy not too pissed that you couldn't pay.

I seem to remember Tracy's friendly scowl in the 90'ies as as I ordered Mechanically Recovered Meat Style Meat Kebab with all the sauces most of which were eventually split on the floor.

May not be like that now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

MadHatter wrote: »
    Thai Garden on Church Ave is an excellent restaurant and they do takeaway - I think a 15% discount on the (already reasonable) menu prices.

The food in Thai Garden is definitely excellent but I would not call their prices reasonable not unless they have come down in the last 3 or 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Shimla, best indian by a mile, can't wait until it re-opens. :pac:

Let's eat in do a lovely indian too and it's great because they do so much different types of food it keeps everybody happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

My Dad was talking to the builders working in Shimla last week and they said it should re-open in about 3 weeks. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

My Dad was talking to the builders working in Shimla last week and they said it should re-open in about 3 weeks. Here's hoping!

fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Canacourse wrote: »
    The food in Thai Garden is definitely excellent but I would not call their prices reasonable not unless they have come down in the last 3 or 4 months.

I've been going there regularly for the past five years and the prices have always been reasonable. Two early bird menus of either €17.95 or €21.95 for 3 courses plus tea/coffee/jasmine tea is exceptional value, particularly considering the quality of food and service. I ate from the full menu last week and paid just over €60 for 2x3 courses and 2 glasses of wine.

The takeaway prices are indeed more expensive than other takeaways... but it's a restaurant not a takeaway. Tbh, you're much better off going for the early bird if you're peckish. Whenever I order takeaway it's cos I want quality food and have to/want to sit at home for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭nige1982

lads and lassies,

the best take aways around our local comunities are below (I have had enough to earn my shout :D)

Chineese - Hung Won in Rose Lawn

Mixed - Eatzin

Pizza - Pizzahut take away place dont know the name

Indian - Shimla it was so hot it burnt down ha

Pub Grub - Carpenter Pab a la cart (not the carvery :mad:)

Steaks - MY OWN on the BBQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭bananabunch

I am in desperate need of a decent curry. Have tried everywhere else around this area and nothing compares, the worst tastes of tinned tomato soup, the best I've found so far is from M&S. Please let me know if you hear any news, it's quite a detour for me to keep driving past the place to see if there's any progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Have you tried Jaipur, doesn't sound like you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Bombay Pantry is in Ashtown. They deliver to Carpenterstown. You can collect too.

+1 for Jaipur. It is very good too.

Admit I haven't tried either of those places. Looked at Jaipur menu a few times ad they don't seem to do the dishes my partner and I like such as Balti. Maybe it's time to be a bit adventurous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jaipur is pretty good but I find it very expensive for take out.

I got a take out the other day from the place in Clonee village across from Texaco - what was called Rangoli - but recently changed name/ownership. Was very nice and good value imo. They have Balti definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I love Indian food myself and will give Shimla a try when they reopen.
    I have gotten take outs from most of the Indian Take aways in D15 and I am always amazed at the variations of the same dish. For example, if I ordered a Chicken Bhuna in Shimlaand I love it, I could order one the next week and it tastes completely different and so on for all of the Indian take aways in the area, though I haven't tried Jaipur, its just too damned expensive.

What I hate about Indian take aways is that you pay extra for the rice. This could amount to 3 euro for a decent rice or 2.20 for a pilau. So for 2 people the rice alone could be 5euro. The main courses are also nearly twice what they are in a Chinese but to be honest, there is no comparison with the taste.
    Once you've had Indian you'll never go back.

suey71 wrote: »
    What I hate about Indian take aways is that you pay extra for the rice. This could amount to 3 euro for a decent rice or 2.20 for a pilau. So for 2 people the rice alone could be 5euro.
    I often cook rice at home. I buy a large bag of basmati rice in one of the Middle Eastern stores in Coolmine Industrial Park.

Hi Daymobrew.

Did this myself a while ago but I was the only one in the family that liked the taste of the rice. The kids are too use to Uncle Ben.

Also there was a lot of preperation with the rice, washing all the starch from it at the beginning, plus it goes to mush if you dont stand over it constantly. But I get your point and I do like the taste personally. + its a lot cheaper.

Thanks.

suey71 wrote: »
    Also there was a lot of preperation with the rice, washing all the starch from it at the beginning, plus it goes to mush if you dont stand over it constantly. But I get your point and I do like the taste personally. + its a lot cheaper.
    I use a method that was on the side of the basmati packaging:
    • 1 rice for 2 water ratio (e.g. 100g rice, 200g water)
    • Put on high and quickly bring to boil.
    • Give rice a gentle stir and turn to low
    • Cover saucepan and cook for 12-14mins
    • Done
    I never bother with rinsing the rice.

Thanks for the reply.

You really should start rinsing the rice before its cooked, well, thats what I was told by the guy in the shop, Rasq in Lucan.
    He told me to rinse it until the water ran white. I had to rinse it 4 times.

I'd like to check this out on the Cookery Forum though.
    I also rinse pasta after cooking, you'd be amazed at the amount of starch comes out.

I hadn't got a weighing scale so I couldn't use your method. I just plopped some rice in the pot and boiled it until it was soft.

Then rinced it again:D. To be sure, to be sure.

Death By Starch.

As always I follow Delia's advice about cooking rice. I measure rice and water by volume, so one cup of rice and two cups of water, rinse it before cooking, then I hat up a little oil, put in the rice and give it a quick stir so the grains are coated, then pour in boiling water, stir once, cover the pan with the lid, turn the heat down then leave it alone for 15 minutes before rinsing again with boiling water and serving it. It is stirring the rice too much which leads to it sticking together, the opposite of what some people may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭peteypop

:pac:HUNG WUN IN ROSELAWN FOR CHINESE:pac:

PRONTO PIZZA IN BLANCH VILLAGE:pac:

GUILIOS IN MULHUDDART FOR CHIPPER:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi Peteypop and Welcome to Boards.ie and this forum. Please have a read through some of the threads in this forum: Newbies/FAQ for guidance on how to make the most of this site.

One of the things you will learn there is that typing in capital letters is considered to be the internet forum equivalent of shouting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭peteypop

apoligies it was meant to be a whisper:D

Advertisement