Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loud Slamming Doors

• 24-07-2008 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Im living in an apartment and all the internal doors are spring loaded (I think thats the term, where the hinges swing the door closed if its left open) and at the moment when the doors swing close they can slam very loud. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is something like a rubber/foam strip I can put in the door frame to cushion the blow of the closing door and stop it from slamming so loudly.

Also its only some of the doors that slame closed really loudly others close and just before they hit the frame & latch its like a cushion air slows it down and they close nice and gentle. I presume this is due to how the door is hung in the frame but could this be done for all the doors then?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Talk to the management company, It may be that the closers just need adjusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

@mildews: Cheers for the reply :-) I would if the management company and the management agent could arange a piss-up in a brewery. That and I know the answer will be that the issue is with internal doors and ergo has nothing to do with the.

Also the doors were taken off and cut down to size to allow for flooring that was put down. I've been chasing the guy who put down the floor for a week now and nothin so Ive given up on him and decided to do it myself (if its possible)

What are the closers? The hinges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

PDD wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Also its only some of the doors that slame closed really loudly others close and just before they hit the frame & latch its like a cushion air slows it down and they close nice and gentle. I presume this is due to how the door is hung in the frame but could this be done for all the doors then?
    Dave

Are the doors spring loaded with an arm on top, or with a chain type internally half way down the door or half way down screwed to the external part of the door and on to frame ?. Any of those are relativity easy to sort out, if you can't figure them out yourself, ask a handyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Top of door closing mechanisms have two screw adjustments - one for speed of door closing and one for strength of closing. You suggest that some doors close slower than others so there probably is adjustment possible. Check at the top of the closing mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

PDD have a look at this link, it may help you...It is instillation instructions for an overhead closer, and it shows you where the adjustments can be made.
    http://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/ProdPDF/DRA62892ins.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

I think people have perhaps taken up my description wrong, there is no arm at the top or a chain in the door. The hinges just look like standard/normal hinges for internal doors except the barrel for the hing ies much larger and I presume is spring loaded.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Try a roll of insulation tape, a rubber kind of tape with a rippled, air cussion look available in any diy store. This might block the bang.

Advertisement