Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo loses power turning right

Options
  • 24-07-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi there,

I bought a second hand Polo '00 as a run around second car and shes not bad except...

she completely loses power turning right. (I'm not cutting it out).I pull over. Turn the key and its back to normal.

I don't want to get smashed up by oncoming traffic so anyone got any suggestions or experienced this before?

Blobbers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

That's a weird one!

Get it looked at, is the best advice.

But, as a matter of interest - define 'turning right'. Is it on every right turn - at traffic lights from stop, a tight bend on a 100km/h road, turning at a set of green lights, etc,etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Cuts when straightening up after turning 90 degrees right on roundabout or traffic lights.

Managed to resurrect/jump start her once by dropping to 1st and releasing the clutch.

blobbyblob wrote: »
    Cuts when straightening up after turning 90 degrees right on roundabout or traffic lights.

Managed to resurrect/jump start her once by dropping to 1st and releasing the clutch.

Is your foot on the clutch when this happens or does it cut out irrespective of clutch position?

I did both as a process of elimination and the outcome was the same. i.e - no difference. both lost power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've heard of VWs cutting out like this once or twice before and it was always dirty throttle bodies.

• Advertisement

Hmmm - weird indeed.

It's impossible to go any further without driving the car. If the car behaves perfectly in every other way, then it's going to need to be hooked up to a diagnostic computer. If no faults are logged (and it sounds like there won't be any), it will need dynamic diagnosis.

Dirty throttle body could be the culprit - hard to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Take a quick look at the rear lights to check if there is any water inside.

It could be a wiring fault in the engine loom. The loom can move under cornering. Code clear and read again after the symptom happens would be a good idea.

The fuel pickup in the tank would be at fault. Fuel pressure check could help check this.

Something this obscure could be anything, either simple or very complicated.

Good luck

God bless the 3 month engine warranty.

BTW, As it happens, one of the rear lights are cracked with a hole. The hole is located right at the bottom so i would say that any water behind the lights would drain rather than sit. it looks free from moisture in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Is it the left rear light with the hole?

Seat Ibizas, which is more or less the same as your car, are famous for the connection from the rear washer hose coming loose where it joins the hose going into the boot just above the rear light. Spraying water right into the light cluster on the left hand side.

Have you noticed that your rear window wash wasnt hitting your screen?

Na - holes in the right rear.Looks like someone reversed into a gate and punctured a hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement