Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo...on my leg

Options
  • 24-07-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some advice. I have been contemplating getting a tattoo for a very long time, and I think I will get one in the next few weeks. I have chosen something that means a lot to me and always has (Irish rugby crest......i know it wont be to everybodies taste but i would rather a tattoo of something that means something to me rather than just a design!). I had originally wanted to get it on the side or front of my thigh. But lately i've been thinking about on the back of my calf, or possibly the side of my calf. I've read on a different site that getting one on the back of your calf is not advised as when you get older the skin will sag there??
    Also, I play rugby, how long would it be before i could go back to playing after i get the tattoo?
    It will only be a small tattoo, probably about 2.5" by 1.5" i'd say

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Generally a tattoo will start scabbing over after 2-4 days, and this will then clear up within a week or so. You probably wont want to be doing anything too active and dirty for the first few days because the tattoo is esentially an open wound. And when it is scabbed over doing anything too active could cause the scab to split (This can leave lines or other scarring in your tattoo). If you want your tattoo to look as good as possible when it is healed up, I would say give it a week to a week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Recommendation is 3 - 4 weeks for a tattoo to heal depending on how well your body takes it. I was told no sport (dancing in my case) for that long, but my tattoo is on my back so the tattoo would be submerged in moisture (or sweat :p) which isn't recommended.

Tattoos on the calf is very popular so it's a personal choice whether you'd like to get your tattoo there or not. Research and talk to your tattoo artist and see what recommendations they have.

Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I have the Liverbird from the Liverpool crest on the back of my right calf. Its about 8" long and about 3" wide. I love it, just be careful when you get out of bed the next morning. My leg wouldnt work and i fell back down onto the bed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks for the replies :D Will try get into town and talk to a tattoo artist during the week!

Advertisement