Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh God the end is near!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I don't see why there's anything to get angry about, it'll either suck or it wont. No harm no foul. It's not going to put any of the fans off the Cowboy bebop series it'll probably attract a whole new legion of fans.

Anime film adaptations are a good thing in my opinion, anime needs to be come more mainstream in the west, that way we'll get better anime penetration on television, better quality dubs, more access to anime and manga in the shops over here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

To be honest I just don't want Keanu Reeves anywhere near the thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

heath ledger would actually have been great for spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

i just got sick in my mouth a little bit.

bebop is one of my favourite animes of all time.

the movie will either be really good or absolutely dire. no inbetween will be tolerated!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I don't really have much fear of them making a bad one. Even if they do, the original is still there.

It could be good. But from what little I know of the producers Fox, they tend to meddle with things to make them more appealing to wider audiences. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime that can easily be adapted to film. Its not overly unbelievable, theres no 100ft monsters or 15-year olds running around jumping over buildings waving impossibly huge swords around. Its a very grounded anime. So as long as they get a good actor for Spike and Vicious and a decent script it should be okay... as long as it doesn't go the way of Fist of the North Star *shudder* what a terrible, terrible film.

Lets all hope Yoko Kanno gets on board for the soundtrack as well.

Anyway this man did A Scanner Darkly which was a pretty excellent film adaption.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

fitz0 wrote: »

Lets all hope Yoko Kanno gets on board for the soundtrack as well.

including The Seatbelts, mais oui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheOtherDave

Like said above, it'll be very good or very bad, fingers crossed for the former !

King Mob wrote: »
    To be honest I just don't want Keanu Reeves anywhere near the thing.

You wont like this...

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/30/rumor-keanu-reeves-as-spike-in-cowboy-bebop-movie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chronostearsxx

:O :O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Damn you guys.....im in a internet cafe in bulgaria and i just inapropiatly started crying.... yes in public....... i have shamed myself again... oh well,

no F-ing way is he suited to be Spike hes not NEAARLY as handsome or rougish and i really cant imagine him portraying spikes surealism or his slighly hopeless demeanure.
    how in the name of anything sacred in this world is he to portray the feelings between Spike and Julia without looking stupid!!!! because thats exactly what hes going to do!! right im going to go clean my face upo thank you!

I think this will be more aimed at mainstream audiences than anime fans. And if KR is involved then the budget will be huge which cant be bad.
    Theres rumours of Akira, GitS movies as well so maybe the trend in Hollywood will move from comics to manga and anime.

I think this will be more aimed at mainstream audiences than anime fans. And if KR is involved then the budget will be huge which cant be bad.
    Theres rumours of Akira, GitS movies as well so maybe the trend in Hollywood will move from comics to manga and anime.

They aint rumours, Akira has already been casted and GiTS is being made by Spielberg... you just know next up is Gundam by Michael Bay :)

Spielberg shouldnt even be allowed to see the movie let alone direct it. I guess I got my hopes up a bit too much with these rumours :( Any word on who got what roles for Akira?

I still don't understand why the Japanese themselves have not made live action versions of these. Although its probablydue to the fact that their happy out with the anime. Live action really is a Hollywood dominated arena.

Spielberg shouldnt even be allowed to see the movie let alone direct it. I guess I got my hopes up a bit too much with these rumours :( Any word on who got what roles for Akira?

Leonardo DiCaprio and Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be playing Kaneda and Tetsuo, Ruairi Robinson is directing.
    owlwink wrote: »
    I still don't understand why the Japanese themselves have not made live action versions of these. Although its probablydue to the fact that their happy out with the anime. Live action really is a Hollywood dominated arena.

The money needed to make Akira for the big screen and distribute it worldiwde can only be found in Hollywood, that and there are no popular Japanese actors that would make anyone who isnt an anime fan want to see this film, not to mention the Japanese arent very well known for world class acting.

People see Leonardo Di Cpario and they'll go to see it on that merit alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Keanu fights like a computer, no movement like water there. I cant think of anyone who could suit the role though, knowing hollywood its got to be a WMA (White Male American). Nicolas Cage, no. Matt Damon, no. Christian Bale, no. Theyve sortof adopted Hugh Jackman but hes not cool enough, hes more suited to fiery characters. Basically the film is fail before casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

That's a terrible take on it. Give it a chance and see how they progress at least wait till filming begins before you get all doom and gloom.

robby^5 wrote: »
    Leonardo DiCaprio and Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be playing Kaneda and Tetsuo, Ruairi Robinson is directing.

Leonardo Di Caprio is a brilliant actor, he might do the role justice. Never heard of the other two. ... ... ... Joseph Gordon-Levitt seems like a decent enough actor for Tetsuo. But are they not a little old for teh roles? I mean, Kaneda and tetsuo were in school. Minor gripe though.
    --Wikipedia article--
    Live action film
    Akira is expected to be developed into two live action films with the first scheduled for a summer 2009 release. The film will be set in New Manhattan - a decision which has drawn severe criticism from die-hard Akira fans.[4][5][6] Warner Bros. and Appian Way will adapt the two movies from the manga. The first film is expected to be an adaptation of the first three volumes. The second film may cover the last three volumes. Ruairi Robinson is directing in his feature film debut. He was nominated for a short film Oscar in 2002 for Fifty Percent Grey. Gary Whitta is writing the script. Andrew Lazar, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Jennifer Davisson will produce the film. The film is set in New Manhattan, a city rebuilt by Japanese money after being destroyed 31 years ago. No announcement has been made regarding the cast, although it is reported that DiCaprio and Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be playing the lead roles of Kaneda and Tetsuo, respectively
    At least it will follow the manga not the film. And I guess it makes more sense for it to be set in America since it will have western actors. Maybe it won't be so bad... maybe

On Tekken - Gary Daniels is in it. Gary Daniels as in Fist of the North Star Gary Daniel ffs. And no sign of Lei. Not impressed.

robby^5 wrote: »

The money needed to make Akira for the big screen and distribute it worldiwde can only be found in Hollywood, that and there are no popular Japanese actors that would make anyone who isnt an anime fan want to see this film, not to mention the Japanese arent very well known for world class acting.

I understand that man, just think it's a shame. Better than nothing, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

I think Keanu reeves could possibly do justice to the role of spike.
    Just finished watching Bebop there a few days ago (God bless Anime Central, sky digital 199)
    and if you look at fight scenes in, say, matrix 2 yeah?
    Spikes fluid motion CAN be achieved but its fukcing expensive!

andgoodbye wrote: »
    I think Keanu reeves could possibly do justice to the role of spike.
    Just finished watching Bebop there a few days ago (God bless Anime Central, sky digital 199)
    and if you look at fight scenes in, say, matrix 2 yeah?
    Spikes fluid motion CAN be achieved but its fukcing expensive!

I just don't think Keanu is cool in that Tom Waits kinda way. Maybe they could beef Tom Waits up :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Well, actually, after thinking about it, I think keanu Reeves might actually be (god forbid) decent in the rle of spike.
    He´s got the whole cynical thing down, I´d say he can pull it off.

Lets hope so. Might give the franchise the attention it deserves in the West.

Advertisement