Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

got my 2001 mondeo zetec...valet/stutter question.

Options
  • 24-07-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Well I picked up this motor today, I did not even give it a going over, as the guy drove all the way down from castlebar.

so basically its filthy inside, as in oil, muck, grease, the works.

I bought motor factors stuff to clean her up but its a serious mess.

how good is a car valet? I mean would they remove all the gunk? the foot well is like a tractor.. and more importantly how much is a valet, 200euro??

the car itself is very good, genuine miles, needs a service but seems very well.

there is a stutter in it, either a fuel filter/ sparks issue?

its noticable when accenerating/changin gears.

the oil filler cap was leaking and perhaps oil contaminated the plugs...?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

oooooooooooohhhhh!!!!!!!! I hope it was cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

yeh, I got it for a good price, the stutter is probably HT leads/spark plugs.

the interior is quite dirty, I was cleaning it out and found 20e in coins all over the place as well as a few chicken wings.

how much would a full valet cost? would they clear the shyte from the footwell, its in quite a state.

the present owner seemed quite clean, the previous owner should be ashamed...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

A professional car valeting service worth it's salt should be able to give the car a complete run over..and that includes shampooing the seats and carpets and polishing the outside to a nice shine.

The average price down around these parts is 90 - 100 for the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Stuttering quite likely to be a coil pack, common fault on these. As far as I can remember, these will set you back 70-80 Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

Lads, Flawless Finish is the way to go they operate out of Malahide and i think City West. They do mobile valets too.. I got mine done and it looked mint..(I got a deal on it) but it ranges from 60 - 135... well worth it though ..

(And i dont work for them.. Just a very satisfied customer :D)
    http://www.flawlessfinish.ie/

• Advertisement

hmmm

the engine management light came on today, after all the stuttering im not too surprised.

so i have it parked up until i can rectify it, where can coil packs be bought? from a motor factors?

I will get the plugs examined, if they look ok then it seems coil packs, i dont think a fuel filter would cause the engine light to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get the problem diagnosed by a mechanic first otherwise you will end up throwing money at parts that may not fix the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Change the plugs and fuel filter anyway for piece of mind. Does it idle ok? The egr gives trouble in these but usually shows up as an eratic idle. What milage is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Well I picked up this motor today, I did not even give it a going over, as the guy drove all the way down from castlebar.

so basically its filthy inside, as in oil, muck, grease, the works.

I bought motor factors stuff to clean her up but its a serious mess.

how good is a car valet? I mean would they remove all the gunk? the foot well is like a tractor.. and more importantly how much is a valet, 200euro??

the car itself is very good, genuine miles, needs a service but seems very well.

there is a stutter in it, either a fuel filter/ sparks issue?

its noticable when accenerating/changin gears.

the oil filler cap was leaking and perhaps oil contaminated the plugs...?

cheers.

Yeuck!!!! Sounds like a right messy interior.

At least you didn't find something as bad as used condoms down behind the seats!!!

(Only kidding BTW)

i paid 2,950e so i am not expecting a grade A interior, but still...!

I found amongst other things under the seats, 13euro in coins and chicken wings..

the milage is 118k, I changed the plugs and coil pack, now it runs alot better but has a bit of erratic idle when switching from neutral to 1st, say at a bend or lights etc.

what would this be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I use the hand car wash in tesco Clarehall shopping centre and find them excellent. They wash all cars by hand and getting your car valeted is excellent price. I highly recomend them

Advertisement