Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moonman says aliens have visited Earth.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

This guy also conducted unofficial ESP experiments while in space. I would say he has an overactive imagination myself.

How about people who read a book full of stories about demons, spirits, burning bushes, speaking in tongues, people coming down in lights and coming back from the dead. If he was a Christian would his word be taken more seriously?

He's old and he might not be as sharp or quick as he was but that shouldn't be held against him. He does have a few new age ideas about consciousness etc, what's the difference with the typical Christian I ask? Remember this guy was a scientist and one of the first and only people to walk on the moon.
    I saw his interview on Larry King and he grew up in the Roswell area and knew all the local ranchers personally. He was obviously a major celebrity in the town and somebody people look up to. It wouldn't be any surprise if people told him things that they would be afraid to say otherwise, especially since he was literally a spaceman himself.
    He doesn't claim to have seen anything himself, just people of his generation from the area told him that they'd be put under strict orders not to talk about that event and that they felt like telling somebody before they died (independently came to him according to Mitchell) and people high up in the military admitted somethings to him. He's not saying he was telepathically communicating with aliens.

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=8QKW6Gt3KKs

In it you can see a well known 'tv scientist' Bill Nye, who actually knows nothing about the fields of UFOs or space at all but is somehow brought on to 'counterbalance' Mitchell, in the process he makes himself look like a complete jerk trying to talk over Mitchell all the time and not admitting the fact that Mitchell is from the Roswell area and might know what he is talking about.

Think about it, Bush tells people he gets his convictions from a fairy tale story of demons, gods, spirits etc. but most of you guys laugh off Mitchell as a 'new ager'. Why does he become an object of ridicule because he speaks honestly about what he believes in and people told him, it's a lot different than the average public figure. NASA states it doesn't 'share his views' and doesn't 'track UFOs', NASA wouldn't have anything to do with Roswell, but Mitchell does because he grew up there!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    earth is about 26,000 light years from the centre of our own tiny galaxy and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe

there could be intelligent lifeforms in every galaxy but unless like you said they have the ability to travel at stupid speeds or change the laws of physics it is highly unlikely they have or ever will come close to visiting earth

They don't need to change the laws of physics. Anyone who argues that distance will be a problem hasn't thought about this at all. An advanced civilisation can travel across the whole field of the Milky Way galaxy, which contains billions of potential solar systems, in less than 100,000 years at considerably less than the speed of light. Our universe is estimated to be 10 billions years old, our solar system 6 billion years old.
    If they sent out millions of robotic probes for exploration anytime in the last 6 BILLION YEARS from ANY ONE of the billions of solar system what is the problem?

We will have the same capability within a 100 years or so, and that is without taking into account the ability to use wormholes/time travel with massive energy sources in the next 500-1000 years of our technological development. You are really showing your ignorance here.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

maninasia wrote: »
    They don't need to change the laws of physics. Anyone who argues that distance will be a problem hasn't thought about this at all. An advanced civilisation can travel across the whole field of the Milky Way galaxy, which contains billions of potential solar systems, in less than 100,000 years at considerably less than the speed of light. Our universe is estimated to be 10 billions years old, our solar system 6 billion years old.
    If they sent out millions of robotic probes for exploration anytime in the last 6 BILLION YEARS from ANY ONE of the billions of solar system what is the problem?

We will have the same capability within a 100 years or so, and that is without taking into account the ability to use wormholes/time travel with massive energy sources in the next 500-1000 years of our technological development. You are really showing your ignorance here.

Of course, it's obvious now. Obviously, time-travelling robotic wormhole espresso machines will soon be available. We are all tards. I'll just refresh Komplett with my credit card details to hand until it happens. BRB.

That post would have been fine & dandy. But no true Scientician can resist throwing in the "you're a thicko" comment at the end. It's tiresome & nobody is impressed Maninasia.

Thicko is as thicko says. A few posters trot out the standard line such as 'distance' is an issue, when in fact it's not an issue at all taking into account the age of the universe, the size of the galaxy, the number of solar systems and the level of technological development required to scout out the whole galaxy (a civilisation perhaps 100 years ahead of our development).
    For some reason this idea of 'distance' preventing extra-terrestrial civilisations visiting here is trotted our very regularly by people who comment on this sort of stuff but I've never actually seen the reason stated as to why this is! If they meant an alien civilisation from a galaxy thats 10 billion light years away, maybe, but from our local Milky Way galaxy it would seem almost a probable event. Parroting things by rote is ignorance or what would you call it?

It's not about being impressed, it's about calling out bs ideas, when they are not backed up by any rational thought or any actual knowledge. I'm not sure what you are getting upset about.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thicko is as thicko says. A few posters trot out the standard line such as 'distance' is an issue, when in fact it's not an issue at all taking into account the age of the universe, the size of the galaxy, the number of solar systems and the level of technological development required to scout out the whole galaxy (a civilisation perhaps 100 years ahead of our development). It's not about being impressed, it's about calling out bs ideas.

:eek:
    You sir are misinformed.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Thicko is as thicko says. A few posters trot out the standard line such as 'distance' is an issue, when in fact it's not an issue at all taking into account the age of the universe, the size of the galaxy, the number of solar systems and the level of technological development required to scout out the whole galaxy (a civilisation perhaps 100 years ahead of our development).
    For some reason this idea of 'distance' preventing extra-terrestrial civilisations visiting here is trotted our very regularly by people who comment on this sort of stuff but I've never actually seen the reason stated as to why this is! If they meant an alien civilisation from a galaxy thats 10 billion light years away, maybe, but from our local Milky Way galaxy it would seem almost a probable event. Parroting things by rote is ignorance or what would you call it?

It's not about being impressed, it's about calling out bs ideas, when they are not backed up by any rational thought or any actual knowledge. I'm not sure what you are getting upset about.

I'm not upset at all - I'm bemused by your attitude. Also by your theories. If it's all so simple, why hasn't it been done yet? Where are they aliens? You've thought of everything, so let's hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Of course with there being so much life in the universe, why would the most advanced species bother themselves with us when they can be studying the other aliens. :pac:

Though I feel that something that should be taken into account is that (chances are) these aliens are not human at all. They may not think like we do and probably don't care as much about exploration. They could do things differently and comparing our level of development to theirs may be impossible.

Stop judging the alienz on h00man qualiteez plx?

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm not upset at all - I'm bemused by your attitude. Also by your theories. If it's all so simple, why hasn't it been done yet? Where are they aliens? You've thought of everything, so let's hear it.

As the last poster said, they don't need to follow our motivations. I just stated that if they were of a technological advancement that was similar to ours it wouldn't be too difficult to get around if they so wish. In addition, they wouldn't need to show themselves either if they didn't want to (much like a stealth fighter is invisible to radar, hiding from us would be a piece of cake). Lastly if they are just looking around, they might not be here all the time, just occasionally.

It's my 'guess' that at least microbial life is common in the universe from the physical characteristics that some species display (dormancy millions of years, resistance to cosmic radiation damage, survival in vacuum, existence in a vast array of ecosystems, easily float across space on cosmic wind, rapid evolutionary adaptation and huge genetic diversity, diverse energy sources from chemical and light). If you take the ubiquity of microbial life across the galaxy as a premise it's hardly rocket science to think the same processes that unfolded on earth have unfolded countless times in other solar systems.

Lastly, it's good to remember nothing in the universe is perfect due to the laws of physics it is impossible to completely predict every event, even advanced beings would suffer mishaps from time to time. They are not some type of omnipresent supreme beings. It is in the realm of possibility that they could crash land.

As the last poster said, they don't need to follow our motivations. I just stated that if they were of a technological advancement that was similar to ours it wouldn't be too difficult to get around if they so wish. In addition, they wouldn't need to show themselves either if they didn't want to (much like a stealth fighter is invisible to radar, hiding from us would be a piece of cake).
    Lastly if they are just looking around, they might not be here all the time, just occasionally.
    But remember, nothing in the universe is perfect due to the laws of physics it is impossible to completely predict every event, even advanced beings would suffer mishaps from time to time. They are not some type of omnipresent supreme beings.

/facepalm.

There's an awful lot of "if" in your posts. There's plenty of speculation too. There's even more imagination.

Far too much in fact for you to go about calling people ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Thicko is as thicko says.

Momma always told me to attack the post, not the poster.
    Please remember that when posting here in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If we are alone then the question is ' why ' ? Why are we alone on this planet in the universe and who or what decided this ?

Coincidence ,accident ,part of a bigger plan ? We die without knowing why we lived on this plant for roughly 80 odd years ? Shame :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I reckon cattle are actually alien beings in disguise and by eating their meat we neurologically connect to the mothership thus allowing the aliens to exercise mind control over us.

think about it.

everytime someone spouts climate change, turn off your light bulbs etc, you never hear any suggestions to cull cattle even though their farts produce massive CO2 emmissions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

chamlis wrote: »

That page made my brain cry.

Bacteria survive impact speeds of 5km/sec.
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/life-02zx.html

Bacteria that can repair DNA and replicate even under massive radiation
    http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast14dec99_1.htm

Bacteria revived after 8 millions years
    http://discovermagazine.com/2007/nov/bacteria-of-the-living-dead

NASA, Hydrogen-fed bacteria may exist beyond earth
    http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/releases/2002/02_37AR.html

Humans have 10 times more bacteria than human cells in our bodies
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080603085914.htm

I use the discoveries around me to make a good guess that bacteria are prevelant at least through the whole of this galaxy. Taking into account the survivorability in different environments and the sheer diversity of bacteria does it make more sense that life evolved on this little speck of a planet are that it happened somewhere else, they multiplied and spread through space. I know which idea makes more sense to me. The Milky Way galaxy and our solar system are not fixed in space, we are passing other star systems regularly on time scales of millions/billions of years.

If it is true that bacteria are common in this galaxy (it's looking like a better and better chance all the time, it's pretty likely they are on Mars or Venus considering their proximity to earth and similar environment but we haven't detected them yet simply because we haven't put the right instruments there, remember we aren't even able to grow or observe 99% of the bacteria in our environment on earth, but we can determine they are there from in the environment from DNA fingerprinting) there is no reason evolution could not acheive first multi-cellular structures and then advanced civilisation on any hospitable planet given enough time. Since we have billions of stars, millions of solar systems and 10 billion years of time to acheive this I don't see the problem. If you want to state 'things are impossible' then you should check why that would be, right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement