Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital for starting new business

Options
  • 24-07-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Starting a business in computer repair like many others out there....Keeping it simple as possible...
    Excluding living costs exactly how much would I require to get up go? I have my own transport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Depend on:
    Do you want to have your own office?
    What kind of software will you need to rapair system errors.. All of them must be legal.
    Do you already have computer? Cables.. etc.
    You will probably need some capital for ads. What kind of ads will you use?
    You will probably need 2nd phone, only for business use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Depend on:
    Do you want to have your own office?
    What kind of software will you need to rapair system errors.. All of them must be legal.
    Do you already have computer? Cables.. etc.
    You will probably need some capital for ads. What kind of ads will you use?
    You will probably need 2nd phone, only for business use.

I dont need my own office yet, I will use my own home as an office to start,
    What particular repair software would be recommended? I already know which packages to get but any alternatives would be great?

Yep I have own computer cables etc,

I'm not sure how much advertising will cost me?
    I'm in the process of getting a business mobile for work.

mondeo wrote: »
    What particular repair software would be recommended? I already know which packages to get but any alternatives would be great?
    When I started my first business I was using only alternative free programs, instead of expensive software from Microsoft and other companies. Of course you can use alternatives but don't forget to read program license first! Many programs are free only for personal use, if you want to use them for commercial, you must pay for them.

Also, I'd recommend you to delete all illegal programs, films and mp3s from computer that will be use for your work.
    I'm not sure how much advertising will cost me?
    I'm in the process of getting a business mobile for work.
    I think that adverts in Tesco or streets would be ok for beginning. It's not that expensive..

I think you don't need that much of money for start..

- Mobile phone (not needed if you want clients to call on your private mobile)
    - Printer (some clients require sale invoice), paper etc.
    - Advertising (let's say some short commercial in local newspaper, or website)

Before you'll start anything, check how the competition is going.. Is there lack of services like that in your area or rather lack of clients. Many good businesses has collapsed just because they ignored competition.

When I started my first business I was using only alternative free programs, instead of expensive software from Microsoft and other companies. Of course you can use alternatives but don't forget to read program license first! Many programs are free only for personal use, if you want to use them for commercial, you must pay for them.

Also, I'd recommend you to delete all illegal programs, films and mp3s from computer that will be use for your work.

I think that adverts in Tesco or streets would be ok for beginning. It's not that expensive..

I think you don't need that much of money for start..

- Mobile phone (not needed if you want clients to call on your private mobile)
    - Printer (some clients require sale invoice), paper etc.
    - Advertising (let's say some short commercial in local newspaper, or website)

Before you'll start anything, check how the competition is going.. Is there lack of services like that in your area or rather lack of clients. Many good businesses has collapsed just because they ignored competition.

I plan to advertise in as many shopping centre notice boards as possible, I always assumed that is free sticking them up on notice board...

What type of free software could you use for commercial use? I cannot
    say I have come across many to be honest. I know the obvious ones but their not for commercial use only private..

How much would i be looking at for newspaper adverts? I have no idea...

The plan is to attack Dublin city centre area and see what kind of response
    I get. I will be persistant with flyers even though most places will probably bin them if I leave them around :P

I'm hoping approx 1.5k in my hand would be enough to start off... See how far I get with that. Spend a day on foot in town with a bag full of adverts and let it ripp from there, then wait for the phone to ring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

contact all the Dublin radio stations and offer yourself free of charge and free of expenses to do a technology slot for them weekly at any time, customers can call/email in problems and you can advise on them. Also offer to appear on any of their shows free at short notice whenever they require a technology expert to give an opinion on any news items.

Its huge exposure and you'll be introduced by your name and company name with your details read out at the end of the piece. I think it would be a huge boost to get your name out there.

good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Get you vehicle done in good vehicle graphics, best money you will ever spend on advertising.

I would say that though wouldn't I?:P but it's true .....really.

Culchie wrote: »
    Get you vehicle done in good vehicle graphics, best money you will ever spend on advertising.

I would say that though wouldn't I?:P but it's true .....really.

I had a van awhile back and I stupidly sold it so I have a lancer now but
    sticking advert graphics on a lancer might look abit Micky Mouse:D
    I'll have to get another van me thinks...

Hammertime wrote: »
    contact all the Dublin radio stations and offer yourself free of charge and free of expenses to do a technology slot for them weekly at any time, customers can call/email in problems and you can advise on them. Also offer to appear on any of their shows free at short notice whenever they require a technology expert to give an opinion on any news items.

Its huge exposure and you'll be introduced by your name and company name with your details read out at the end of the piece. I think it would be a huge boost to get your name out there.

good luck.
    What a great idea! :)

What a great idea! :)

It is in theory :rolleyes:

Advertisement