Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BT] Line upgrading, Will I be better.....

Options
  • 24-07-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Im on BT's 1mb line atm which is really limited. :(

With the stats below, should I upgrade to the 3mb service?

Bloody BT have throttled me :( Im stuck at a crappy 10kbps :(

oft5p1.jpg

Thanks alot :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i wouldnt say your line would be able to take a 2meg connection tbh, not with those stats anyway.

what router do you have?

check out this page on the upgrade thread to see if you can improve your SNR/attenuation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

i wouldnt say your line would be able to take a 2meg connection tbh, not with those stats anyway.

what router do you have?

check out this page on the upgrade thread to see if you can improve your SNR/attenuation

Thanks for your reply. Thats a real bugger. What is my SNR? Also, im using a Wag200g which is fairly ****e. Apparently though i will get a free wireless modem with my upgrade.....

The thing is im a REALLY REALLY heavy user (well according to BT XD) and need as much download as possible. Is it possible to request more download limit and pay for it?

So to sum it up, if I got myself upgraded to the 8mb, I would get around 2048kbps at best :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

what router do you have?

I have a solid 2mb connection with attenuation now at 51 (up from 46), IBB say I can even get 4mb on my line. However I do have a good SN margin at 25. The OP can fix his poor SNR by either trying a different router or trying connecting the phoneline directly into the master socket without any other phones/filters/sky box connected.

rc28 wrote: »
    I have a solid 2mb connection with attenuation now at 51 (up from 46), IBB say I can even get 4mb on my line. However I do have a good SN margin at 25. The OP can fix his poor SNR by either trying a different router or trying connecting the phoneline directly into the master socket without any other phones/filters/sky box connected.

master socket? hmm will have to hunt around for that. :o

at the moment I have one filter that i um....borrowed from an eircom van (the one that came with my router was for british telephone lines). I have a set of eircom wireless phones and thats it.

Im just looking for any increase. Im getting 100kbps on average atm and any increase would be great.

Say money was no real expense, what would the best router be that I could buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Kenmare wrote: »
    master socket? hmm will have to hunt around for that. :o

at the moment I have one filter that i um....borrowed from an eircom van (the one that came with my router was for british telephone lines). I have a set of eircom wireless phones and thats it.

Im just looking for any increase. Im getting 100kbps on average atm and any increase would be great.

Say money was no real expense, what would the best router be that I could buy?

I'm no expert at routers but read the follwing about how to improve your SNR and he also mentions certain good routers. Also try Komplett.ie for adsl modems:
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are adding new exchanges slowly in the big cities mainly . They do not enable them as standard for ADSL either .

READ THIS EXPLANATION OF WHAT STATS TELL YOU !! especially if on a 3mbit line .

Anyone with margin of 25db+ and stable 3mbit should get the 7.6 upgrade or near enough.

You lose about 4db-5db per megabit of upgrade

25db margin now should be 5db at worst after the upgrade , tight that .
    8db is the recommended floor and after that you may have problems.

In other words 3mbits to 7.6mbits will require that you have 18-24Db of margin to spare thereby leaving you with no less than 8Db after the upgrade so thats either 18+8 = 26Db or 24+8=32Db ....between 26db and 32Db NOW.

If you have 20db margin , or less, today on a 3mbit line you will NOT get 7.6Mbit stable on that line with THAT modem unless you do something .

If your margin is 10-12db AND with a stable 3mbit today (pre upgrade) my advice is to drop down to the 2mbit package and save yourself some money, no tweaking or fiddling will get you to 7.6mb stable save what RC28 said about the Netopia Margin jumping way up with another modem. The Netopia will NOT do it.

If over 15db margin then maybe try to up the margin by working through this information below systematically, try step 4 first as its easy and quick :D

Kitz recommends the following modems if you are having Margin ( SNR they call it) issues .

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

There are 4 angles of attack alone or in combination , I quote Kitz on 2 of them , 2 and 3.

1. Disconnect ALL Internal wiring and use the main socket only for data , the socket supplied by eircom .

2 and 3 from the Kitz link. They are Check / Change Router and Check / Change Filter
    • Routers are known to provide a more stable connection than usb modems and the purchase of an adsl router has done the trick for many.
    • Be aware that some routers do perform better than others on Low SNR Lines, and although there is no guarantee, it is something very well worth trying.The Speedtouch 585 + 576, Netgear DG834, Westell 6100, D-Link DSL-G604T are some routers that have specifically been known to maintain a more stable connection on a low SNR line.
    • ~ The Netgear DG834 and DG834G have a very good reputation for being able to hold on to a connection at low SNR. I personally have seen one hang on to a line that frequently drops to 0dB (and below). Other users of the DG834G have reported similar. There's also a few instances where it worked when others wouldn't URL="http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=402.msg12226#msg12226"]link[/URL
      ~ The D-Link DSL-G604T has also been reported* to successfully stabilise a low SNR line which was about to be declared as incapable of supporting adsl. URL="http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=402.msg12228#msg12228"]link[/URL.
      ~ Most Speedtouch routers seem to work well on long lines and have a good reputation
    • Adsl Filters. Make sure your filters are fitted correctly. Fit good quality filters, some definitely are better than others - adslnation carries an article which shows the difference in between some filters. Or better still...
    4. If you do not use the phone line for Voice calls, DISCONNECT THE FILTER and plug the DSL router straight in , what does that do for your margin when you try it people ????

If nothing else a good result for test 4 logically tells you your must try 3 if you do need it for voice .

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for that stuff. Will definitely try some out XD

Here is my speedtest score. Not particularly high which worries me :(

300561877.png

Also, do you know where i can get an "irish" version of the below splitter. My current splitter isnt the best to put it bluntly. Its taken a few knocks and looks of substandard quality anyway...

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=54

The one they have for sale is the flat english connection whereas mine is that little (rj11 i think).

Thanks ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

that speed test is normal for a 1 meg connection

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

your SNR margin looks to be about 8db, I wouldn't recommend trying to upgrade to anything higher unless you can improve the margin.

It might be worth your time disconnecting all non-adsl equipment, connecting router/modem to main socket with a filter and looking at your snr margins then

changed the subject to try make it more clear

ah here we go. The model of the splitter is : Excelsus z-blocker DSL Filter Model z-230TJ

sorry for such a n00bs questions, but which figure in my original picture am I trying to change to give me a better chance. Is it the downstream margin?

cheers

òkay there is a semi major update.

When I took the first picture, my line had beeen throttled by BT from 1024kbps to 24kbps for overusing it.

Now that its back the line seeems to have changed....

The downstream margin is now 15db

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Signal Margin reported by the modem is a snapshot. If you refresh the statistics page, it will change again. I find usually that a line will vary over a range of 5 dB even over 10 seconds. Attenuation varies only slightly.

There is no normal line that will have 50dB downstream with an upload attenuation of only 16dB upstream. Something is generating noise along that line. Otherwise there's a fault in the eircom exchange or with Kenmare's modem.

I'm waiting to hear what happens to the stats when EVERYTHING is disconnected from the phone sockets in the house except a single cord from a socket to the modem.

Tell us what happens when you do that please.:)

Advertisement