Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAREDY CAT

Options
  • 24-07-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

About four weeks ago we took in a stray kitten who came to our back door, we have no experience of pets but we are proud of our achievements so far.
    He / she is eating and drinking well, is using litter, playing with toy mice, balls etc.. Our problem is that it will not let us (mainly myself) let us get close enough to give it a rub, it will play, eat and lie on cushion and stretch as if it wants a rub, but when I/we get too close it runs off and hides, the odd time I have got close enough to barely brush my fingers off it's fur, but it runs off and hides. My kids have called it scaredy cat.
    As I have said above I have no experience with pets, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It takes time. Rather than approaching the cat, let it come to you.
    Once you have gained its trust it will approach you but before that it's a little bit afraid you might grab/hurt it. Particularly a stray that probably has less nice experiences from humans than house cats.

You can try holding treats in your hand and let it take them (but don't try petting it, just let it eat). When it realises you're not going to hurt it it will warm to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Sound like your doing a good job so far. I think Biko has given you the best advice. Don't approach them let them approach you. I would have him checked by a vet sooner radder than later as he will be easier to handle when small, he will need to start his vac's soon any time from 6 weeks old and the feline leukemia vac's at 9 weeks to 3 months and neutering at 6 months. The vet will also be able to give you good advice ask nieghbours and friends with pets to recommend a vet. This may sound like alot but he will only require vac's once a year after that.

Give it time if he'll let you pick him up at all I find carrying them around while I get a few things done in the house seems to get them use to every thing, If you are already using the word din dins keep to it cats like routine things you can nearly set your watch by some.Get him use to hearing the same words for the same things at the same times this should ease him down a little, and your doing well with lots of play.

Fare play in giving him a home I'd say you are already learning the joys of having a pet and in time he will show it to you double fold.

I have a cat 18yrs who I feel hates me I do every thing for her and I'm the only one she never comes near but old age seems to have changed her and she's now my best friend and I wouldn't change that for the world.

Best of luck with the little guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Like the posters above say, let him come to you. Take time to hold out your hand so he can smell it and another tip is to narrow your eyes when you look at the cat (don't laugh, it really works!) or look away. This is what they do with each other to communicate that they are not aggressive. With perseverance it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

One of my cats took about 6 months to settle in properly. Just when I thought I knew him, he'd show a little more of his character. And I got a new cat three months ago and this morning was the first time she curled up on my lap!! And although both cats love being petted neither like being picked up - that might change with the new cat but I don't think the six year old cat will ever get to like being picked up.

So, as the other posters have said, the cat will settle down at his own pace and in his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

it's now nearly 2 years since I took in 2 feral kittens, I was permitted to hold and cuddle one of the for the first time last month and haven't been allowed to do it again since :rolleyes:it as others have said takes time and has to be done on their time scale.....

best of luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

I totally agree with the no eye contact thing it tend to freak them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.
    My hubby was looking after the kitten for the last two weeks, while I was away. Mostly the kitten was left alone all day, without fresh food (only dry food), and had water left out to drink.
    Anyway when we came home today hubby & kitty surprised us when we arrived home, hubby had the kitten up in his arms and rubbing him. He has bought him a load of toys, ball's, fake mice, etc.
    Now he's all grown up looking with a collar and all. The kitten was a bit nervous when he saw us, but after while of playing he laid down to let us rub him. Kids are all excited.
    Kitty has still not gone to the vet, so we still don't know if it's a boy or a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Lift up the tail and if you see two holes close two one another it's a girl and one hole and a tuffed of hair or a hole further down and it's a boy.

Given he/she hasn't seen a vet yet I suggest you bring him/her soon. Kittie will need her vac's between 9 & 12 weeks so you will have to have her age checked for that as well. Kitties are also susceptible to infection better you have her check now than later and a good vet will be willing to answer any questions you have, write them down before you go and take them with you.

Good luck let's know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Good luck let's know how you get on.

It's a girl, about fourteen weeks old. Went to vets today and got that confirmed, she got two jabs today and due back in three weeks for two more, and maybe get neutered.
    Thanks for all the help I received here, couldn't have done without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Like the posters above say, let him come to you. Take time to hold out your hand so he can smell it and another tip is to narrow your eyes when you look at the cat (don't laugh, it really works!) or look away. This is what they do with each other to communicate that they are not aggressive. With perseverance it will work.

ha ha i'm so glad i read this post i'm always feeding stray cats from my balcony and told my boyfriend that one always narrows its eyes at me and he was laughing at me saying its giving u the evil eyes wait till he comes home and i show him this lol it DOES like me he he

• Advertisement
Advertisement