Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Age Card

• 24-07-2008 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

quick questions;), can i apply on my birthday, or do i have to wait for the day after? (going away for a month the day after my birthday so want to get it sorted)

and my birth cert, do i bring the real thing, or a photocopy of it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

sbsm345 wrote: »
    quick questions;), can i apply on my birthday, or do i have to wait for the day after? (going away for a month the day after my birthday so want to get it sorted)

Thanks!
    On the day and bring the real thing.

And learn to use google ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks!

You should be able to apply the day of it, and bring your real birth cert. If they only want a copy of it, they will take a copy on the spot, but they will probably want to see the original

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you are going away you will have your passport. Unless you are travelling via a box in a truck.
    It's cheap but the meals you get are terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sbsm345

Mirror wrote: »
    On the day and bring the real thing.

And learn to use google ffs.
    Thanks,

um both the age card site, and garda site said nothing about the 2 questions, so i asked here.

sorry?

Thanks,

um both the age card site, and garda site said nothing about the 2 questions, so i asked here.

sorry?
    # Must be 18 years of age or over on the date of the application You're 18 on the day of your birthday
    # Provide a Birth Certificate Fairly self explanatory

Welcome to boards :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Ay Mirror, cut the kid some slack! He (or she) has probably never done this before (although what happened to the kids being more au fait with ye olde Internet than us twentysomethings?)

Neesa wrote: »
    Ay Mirror, cut the kid some slack! He (or she) has probably never done this before (although what happened to the kids being more au fait with ye olde Internet than us twentysomethings?)
    What? I didded a smiley face :) I thought the kids understood that type of thing :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If you are going away you will have your passport. Unless you are travelling via a box in a truck.
    It's cheap but the meals you get are terrible.

I think the point is that if they go away for a month, they won't be able to apply. By applying for it beforehand, they will have it sooner.

Anyhow, how much does it cost to get a box on your own (don't want to share)? Would the service be on par with Ryanair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Garda Card is brilliant, a nightclub is not an airport- no place for a passport. I was always worried about losing the thing, as has happened to others I know :rolleyes:

Nobody questions the Garda cards really, they're impossible to knock-off and it's handier to carry on you. I got mine within 3 weeks, which seems unusually early? Well worth the tenner.

Cost of photos plus cost of card = €14.

Yeah, I lost my passport. Garda cards are musc easier. And you can have more than one :)

(One for each hair colour!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

PrivateEye wrote: »

Nobody questions the Garda cards really, they're impossible to knock-off and it's handier to carry on you. I got mine within 3 weeks, which seems unusually early? Well worth the tenner.

So let me see.
    you grow up, you can vote, enter a contract, buy and drive a car, buy and get addicted to tobacco, get a licenced firearm, but you have to pay the cops money to be allowed pay excise duty on ethanol, and as an adult you still can't do it for 3 weeks and you're happy with that state of affairs?

what about a system where you turn up aged 17 and a good bit, give the gardaí the info they need and no money and then on the day you become an adult they hand you your card prepared in advance?

Oh I just looked up the site, even though you must be an adult to apply you might still need mammy and daddy to say you are you. mockery ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I never bothered with the garda ID, I carried my passport when I wasn't around my local town, but you'd be better off losing a garda ID than a passport obviously. :D

Yeah right!

Not having a passport gets me into all manner of trouble. People ask for ID and I give them an ML10, I have to prepare to convince them that yes, they can accept it, they have to.

I got an ML10 because fuck if I'm paying €70 for a passpoprt when I don't plan to leave the country. Just another excuse to squeeze money out of us!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Bleeden ML10 forms. The quicker the Gardai phase them out the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

So let me see.
    you grow up, you can vote, enter a contract, buy and drive a car, buy and get addicted to tobacco, get a licenced firearm, but you have to pay the cops money to be allowed pay excise duty on ethanol, and as an adult you still can't do it for 3 weeks and you're happy with that state of affairs?

what about a system where you turn up aged 17 and a good bit, give the gardaí the info they need and no money and then on the day you become an adult they hand you your card prepared in advance?

Oh I just looked up the site, even though you must be an adult to apply you might still need mammy and daddy to say you are you. mockery ffs.

Didn't say anything about the process, just that the card itself is f*cking magic, if you show it to a bouncer they tend to just go 'thats grand'. No looking at me as a 15 year old off to France and wondering if it actually IS me :rolleyes:

I wouldn't blame the Gardai for the costs, that's well above their line. I'm not a huge fan of 'the lads' myself (and jesus, I had great craic trying to register to vote in the local station)

The card- no mention of going for the card/ queeing for the card/ waiting for the card (I had to go back to my house for a bill to prove I lived there???)- is great. Handy little yoke.

For what its worth, you're right...the process is sh*te :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This post has been deleted.

I would imagine they do that to see if the card relates to you.Obviously, if you are 17 and using someone elses card and that person is now about 25, it would be obvious the card does not relate to you

EDIT: within limits of course.I know some places that will check when its balatantly obvious the card relates to me.I'm 18 i know all about it.I only got my age card last month when some bo**ox of a boucer thought my driving license said "1980" as opposed to "1989", which it actually was.The funny thing was that i was turned down by that c**t when i was actually 18 but walked past him plenty of times when i was still 17!!

Advertisement