Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortlist for the Mercury's

Options
  • 24-07-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Adele - '19'
    British Sea Power - 'Do You Like Rock Music?'
    Burial - 'Untrue'
    Elbow - 'The Seldom Seen Kid'
    Estelle - 'Shine'
    The Last Shadow Puppets - 'The Age Of The Understatement'
    Laura Marling - 'Alas I Cannot Swim'
    Neon Neon - 'Stainless Style'
    Portico Quartet - 'Knee-Deep In The North Sea'
    Robert Plant And Alison Krauss – 'Raising Sand'
    Radiohead - 'In Rainbows'
    Rachel Unthank And The Winterset – 'The Bairns'

The winner will be announced on September 9 in London.

Personally I think In Rainbows is leagues above any album there. The only other album there that I think has a chance is Burial.

Then again it's the Mercury Prize so... meh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Really shows how bad this year has been for British Music, Also, how can raising sand be nominated if Alison Krauss is American

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Burials' album is great, but it won't win...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

lordgoat wrote: »
    Burials' album is great, but it won't win...

Heh, it's innovative music from London, aren't they usually shoe-ins for the Mercurys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The only ones I'm familiar with are Stainless Style and In Rainbows. Give it to Neon Neon I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was hoping M.I.A. would be nominated for Kala :( (I know she's not really British, but Arular was nominated before)
    Anyway In Rainbows is the only album there I own or have heard but it's a brilliant album so I guess I'll have to root for that!

If that talentless and unoriginal bitch Estelle wins I swear I will never ever pay attention to the Mercury's again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I can't ever remember seeing a Mercury shortlist and thinking 'Wow, theres alot of talent out there!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

It would have been nicde to see some Irish arts in the shortlist, like Roisin Murphy or Jape

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

what a sh1t shortlist

Why are so few metal/hard rock bands shortlisted (not saying they're superior genres but I can't think of many bands in those genres being shortlisted)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Kold wrote: »
    The Last Shadow Puppets - 'The Age Of The Understatement'

the Shadow Puppets are fking sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I was hoping M.I.A. would be nominated for Kala :( (I know she's not really British, but Arular was nominated before)
    Anyway In Rainbows is the only album there I own or have heard but it's a brilliant album so I guess I'll have to root for that!

If that talentless and unoriginal bitch Estelle wins I swear I will never ever pay attention to the Mercury's again.

I'm not sure if kala is eligible, think it was released last summer, and she is British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PonyP

Can't believe Estelle got nominated, she has released the two most annoying songs of 2008. I haate Amercian Boy, drives me mad. Adele's album is okay, very middle of the road and I wouldn't have considered that it is worthy of nomination either.

Only decent albums really in this mix are from Radiohead and the Neon Neons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I though Portishead's "Third" was definitely gonna be nominated.

If it's new, innovative brilliant music the Mercury Prize honours, this album should have been nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm not sure if kala is eligible, think it was released last summer, and she is British.

To be eligible an album must have been released between July 16th 2007 and July 21st 2008. Kala was released in August '07 so it would have been eligible.

And you're right, she is British after all! I thought she was born in Sri Lanka. My mistake. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Kold wrote: »
    Robert Plant And Alison Krauss – 'Raising Sand'

Pure horse ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I actually saw the Portico Quartet at the Picnic last year. In the Chai Walla tent, the same place that Scroobius Pip played. They played every night. They were pretty much the best thing I saw at the Picnic overall. And there was quite a lot of good stuff on. The aforementioned Pip included.

It's pretty odd to see them nominated for the Mercuries, them being quite a left field, instrumental act. Check them out if you haven't heard of them. They're on myspace. http://www.myspace.com/porticoquartet

I hope they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Come to think of it, why wasn't Angles shortlisted?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

red_ice wrote: »
    the Shadow Puppets are fking sh1t.
    i just know they'll win because they have that guy from the arctic monkeys in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Not too mad on the Shadow Puppets myself. Got the album. Not a melody on it. The only thing it has going for it is the Final Fantasy string arrangements. And they can't even save it. Kept having to skip onto the next song two thirds through most.

I even like the Arctic Monkeys.

Rascals are ****e though. Yer man sounds just like Alex Turner. Must have said "well if I can't beat 'im, join 'im" and look what we're left with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭dave.omeara

Angles should be nominated, but I think, from whats been nominated, I'll be hoping for Neon Neon. Come on, a concept album based on the Delorian. It's gotta win (more then likely won't as the Shadow Puppets probably will win).

Would Nick Cave be eligible? I know he's australian, but british commonwealth and all that?

Advertisement