Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip currents

Options
  • 25-07-2008 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

ok this is something i hear a lot of warnings about on news here, i have experienced alot of currents here but dont know if any of them were rips.

anyway how far can a rip carry you out.
    will it pull you under water.
    how wide are they normally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

utick wrote: »
    ok this is something i hear a lot of warnings about on news here, i have experienced alot of currents here but dont know if any of them were rips.

anyway how far can a rip carry you out.
    will it pull you under water.
    how wide are they normally

though often ignored by people cos of the "it will never happen to me" attitude, rips are a serious issue. my sister and grandfather were nearly killed by a rip tide in west cork a few years ago.

but if you know what your doing you don't have to worry about them. if you get caught by a rip, don't panic, you've got your board!! your board will always stay afloat!! as long as you've got that, you've got bouyancy!!

so, when your caught in a rip, do not struggle against it. paddle out to sea with it. go out a bit, then turn, and paddle across the rip, until your free. it's all about keeping the head. let the board do the floating.

rip currents are just like a pissed off woman...know how to handle em, go with the flow, and you'll be grand - go against em, and your f*****d!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

rip currents are just like a pissed off woman....

but a lot more predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Getting caught in a rip is a scary experience. Just keep the head, paddle out of it sideways (parallel to the beach) and make sure to stay with your board.

To avoid getting caught in a rip in the first place, learn to identify them and avoid them. Look out for darker water where waves aren't breaking and maybe have a chat with local surfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

lg123 wrote: »
    but a lot more predictable

well said...well said...

• Advertisement
Advertisement