Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's ye'r opinion on Dance music?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

I'm referring to any type of dance music with a 4/4 beat.

I'd like to know what ye think of it and yer reasons why if ye get the chance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Its was bleedin' rapid back in the day! Nowadays its just alot of good classic funk songs being butchered.

Dance music was deadly when it was mental (Early Prodigy, old school rave etc.), but along came all these losers who turned it in to lounge music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The dance music you hear in clubs is just awful tripe. Its rare to hear a good dance track in a nightclub anymore, i swear if i hear Scooter or Basshunter one more time there's a good chance im gonna strangle a DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Personally I can't stand it. But it has it's place. It's ok in nightclubs (Id prefer decent music but what can you do? Theres only one nightclub in my town) The one thing I cant stand at all is the boyracers who drive around with their cars scraping the ground pumping out dance music through sh*tty car stereos that cant handle the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

I hate it, don't like it at all. The worst form of drivel I can honestly say is dance music, similar beats and percussions. No time for it whatsoever. The only problem is that it is everywhere. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Its risky territory criticising dance music for sounding all the same. Is there really a great deal of difference between Green day and The Offspring? Do Silverchair and Nirvana sound almost uncannily similar? The same thing happens in rock.

The secret to dance music is to make it mental- if you've a big heap of fancy synthesisers and modern equipment then bloody well use it! don't just sample a james brown bassline and pour a bit of keyboards on top.

But this isn't done anymore.

Ever hear electronic 'chill-out' music? Its like watching sh1t drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

"Dance" Music doesn;t make me wanna dance.... and there's not much i like better then dancing. If you've ever seen one crazy bloke on the dance floor by himself ..that was probably me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I was at the radiohead concert in malahide there recently and the crowd was pretty subdued during for most of the gig, I mean there was very little pushing around and there was plenty of space even close to the stage, the dancing was pretty subdued and it was all very civilised. But I noticed that the song that everyone went crazy for was at the very end when they played Idiotech, a very elctronic based song that they played with the familiar 4/4 bass drum beat that is synonymous with dance music. I think it would be safe enough to say that most radiohead fans wouldn't spit on dance music from the likes of Tiesto and Paul van Dyke, but I thought it was funny that the song they all went mad to was in essence a dance track very similar to some produced buy these artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Standman wrote: »
    I think it would be safe enough to say that most radiohead fans wouldn't spit on dance music from the likes of Tiesto and Paul van Dyke, but I thought it was funny that the song they all went mad to was in essence a dance track very similar to some produced buy these artists.

The only safe thing to say is it's pretty retarded to make sweeping generalisations about the musical taste of millions of people around the globe based on their liking of one band.

Ok, so it's not safe to say that most radiohead fans wouldn't spit on the mentioned types of dance music? That's fine then, but there's no need for the name-calling.

• Advertisement

Ok, so it's not safe to say that most radiohead fans wouldn't spit on the mentioned types of dance music? That's fine then, but there's no need for the name-calling.

First you state all 4/4 then you name two producers.

I love Radiohead, I love all sorts of "dance music" I don't think much of the two producers you named.

But I don't understand how you can say all radiohead's fan's don't like dance music?

It's a bizzare statement based on millions of people you have never met!

Radiohead fans *I* know tend to appreciate all forms of music and don't just put something under a silly label and then write of a ton of genre's based on it.

It's called being narrow/closed minded and an awful trait for a music fan to possess

ntlbell wrote: »
    First you state all 4/4 then you name two producers.

I love Radiohead, I love all sorts of "dance music" I don't think much of the two producers you named.

But I don't understand how you can say all radiohead's fan's don't like dance music?

It's a bizzare statement based on millions of people you have never met!

Radiohead fans *I* know tend to appreciate all forms of music and don't just put something under a silly label and then write of a ton of genre's based on it.

It's called being narrow/closed minded and an awful trait for a music fan to possess

Whoa now, relax! I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive, I'm not trying to attack anybody here.

I'm saying this from my point of view, and I personally do not know any radiohead fans who also like the mentioned types of dance music. Does this mean that all radiohead fans are the same? No, but then I never said that. Maybe you should read things more carefully before you start jumping down peoples throat's about it.

Whoa now, relax! I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive, I'm not trying to attack anybody here.

I'm saying this from my point of view, and I personally do not know any radiohead fans who also like the mentioned types of dance music. Does this mean that all radiohead fans are the same? No, but then I never said that. Maybe you should read things more carefully before you start jumping down peoples throat's about it.

What type of dance music? you haven't named any?

What are we talking?

Goa trance? minimal techno? can you narrow it down even a tad? or are we just throwing out two pretty bad producers as a baseline?

You said _most_ radiohead fans / you don't know nor haven't met 1% of them, so it's still a pretty silly statment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

WTF is "Dance music"? Are you talking about electronic music? Bit of a sweeping term there. You might as well ask people do they like 'guitar music'.

ntlbell wrote: »
    What type of dance music? you haven't named any?

What are we talking?

Goa trance? minimal techno? can you narrow it down even a tad? or are we just throwing out two pretty bad producers as a baseline?

You said _most_ radiohead fans / you don't know nor haven't met 1% of them, so it's still a pretty silly statment.

Oh, so they're just "two pretty bad producers"? So you know better than the hundreds of thousands of people who voted Paul van Dyke number one dj in the world last year and have voted Tiesto number one 3 times? Sorry, who's being close minded now?

Your point is taken, I agree I don't even know one per-cent of the radiohead fans in the world. I thought it would be safe to say that for the most part, fans of radiohead's music wouldn't be fans of the two biggest producers in dance music. You say I am wrong to say that, that's fine! I only mentioned it as a side note, the reason I started this thread was because I genuinely want to find out what people think of dance music because I get the impression it is looked down on by a lot of people.

FruitLover wrote: »
    WTF is "Dance music"? Are you talking about electronic music? Bit of a sweeping term there. You might as well ask people do they like 'guitar music'.

As I said in the very first post, any type of electronic music with a 4/4 beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dance music is dead - it's splintered into too many sub-genres and most kids today prefer rock. The only reason it broke through back in the late '80s was because mainstream music back then was sh**e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Nolanger wrote: »
    Dance music is dead - it's splintered into too many sub-genres...

Oh jesus, and how many sub-genres does metal have? Industrial/black/heavy/power/viking/death/prog/sludge/doom/gothic/folk/metal-core/thrash the lost is endless. Is metal dead?

Davei141 wrote: »
    Is metal dead?
    Sadly, no.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Rave to the grave :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh, so they're just "two pretty bad producers"? So you know better than the hundreds of thousands of people who voted Paul van Dyke number one dj in the world last year and have voted Tiesto number one 3 times? Sorry, who's being close minded now?

I didn't mention anything about their talents as DJ's, I said "producers"

Music production and mixing _someone_elses_ music are worlds apart.

I'm sure Boy George was voted many things for being a DJ I'm not sure it relates to _this_ tho see the difference? ;)
    Standman wrote:
    Your point is taken, I agree I don't even know one per-cent of the radiohead fans in the world. I thought it would be safe to say that for the most part, fans of radiohead's music wouldn't be fans of the two biggest producers in dance music. You say I am wrong to say that, that's fine! I only mentioned it as a side note, the reason I started this thread was because I genuinely want to find out what people think of dance music because I get the impression it is looked down on by a lot of people.

I'm glad you now see the errors of your ways. I'm sure dance music is "looked down" on by many people the world is full of retards who will dismiss types of music for retarded reasons (not saying your one of them) but we can't help what our ears like or what makes us "shuffle" so at the end of the day it's all a bit pointless..

great thread.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dance music itself is bad enough, repetitive nonsense that's offensive to my ears, but it's the bastardising of classic songs that really gets on my wick. It makes me jump to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that many dance music artists are nothing more than talentless plagiarists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

fitz0 wrote: »
    Sadly, no.

Oi!!! None of that now. Any more dissing of metal music and it's the penalty box for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Rave to the grave :pac:
    Fùcking yes lad!!!!

But IMO Dance music is music that makes you dance, simple as, it doesn't have to be electronic! As Bernard Sumner (Guitarist of Joy Division Guitar/Singer of New Order) said in '24 Hour Party People' the song "TART TART" by Happy Mondays was dance music as it was able to make you move to the rythum of the guitar. Here's that song;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

As I said in the very first post, any type of electronic music with a 4/4 beat.

This is a huge range of music styles, and should't be lumped under one term (much less an archaic one such as 'dance'). Whenever I hear someone talking about "dance music", I take it as a sign that they don't know much about electronic music. To reiterate my previous analogy, you'd probably find it ridiculous to hear someone refer to "guitar music" (another term that covers a huge range of individual, vastly varying styles).
    So you know better than the hundreds of thousands of people who voted Paul van Dyke number one dj in the world last year and have voted Tiesto number one 3 times?

Britney Spears has millions of fans. This is not a quantifier of her talent, only of record companies' marketing skills. Same with PVD and Tiesto.

Zaph, nice troll.

DenMan wrote: »
    Oi!!! None of that now. Any more dissing of metal music and it's the penalty box for you!!!

Metal music is ... bad. Oh yes. I went there.

Zaph wrote: »
    Dance music itself is bad enough, repetitive nonsense that's offensive to my ears, but it's the bastardising of classic songs that really gets on my wick. It makes me jump to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that many dance music artists are nothing more than talentless plagiarists.
    +1 I despise all these terrible remixes. They're an assault on good music and our ears. One of the worst ones Ive heard is teh Fields of Athenry dance remix. I mean come on the song was never meant to be a dance tune, be original for once and come up with your own stuff (and before anyone says it, I am not saying ALL djs are unoriginal, Im directing this at the ones who got well known through remixes)
    And Zaphs post can hardly be called trolling, its his opinion and this thread asked for opinions.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

FruitLover wrote: »
    Zaph, nice troll.

In all the time I've posted on Boards this is the first time I've ever been accused of trolling. It is not an activity that I would ever lower myself to engage in. An opinion was sought by the OP and I gave mine, if you don't like it then that's your problem. If you can't tell the difference between an opinion and trolling then I suggest you sit this one out and let the adults have a discussion in peace among themselves.

Zaph wrote: »
    In all the time I've posted on Boards this is the first time I've ever been accused of trolling. It is not an activity that I would ever lower myself to engage in. An opinion was sought by the OP and I gave mine, if you don't like it then that's your problem. If you can't tell the difference between an opinion and trolling then I suggest you sit this one out and let the adults have a discussion in peace among themselves.

Exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Criticising peoples taste in anything will naturally rise them and a thread like this is quite likely to provoke. I for one love music in general and electronic music is a large part of that in its many forms... starting with the likes of New Order from the 80's right up to dub techno today with many varities in between.

It is annoying to read narrow minded opinions formed from people who haven't a clue about a genre of music yet decide based on poor chart music that an entire genre is rubbish. So I hear a few bad rock songs on the radio, does this mean rock is cr*p and without talent? :rolleyes:

Advertisement