Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick and tired of BOI.

Options
  • 25-07-2008 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My bank is really irking me and i wish to cut all ties with them. This has been along time coming but my most recent argument with them over cancelling a credit card takes the biscuit.

i cancel card, they charge me 30 euro goverment fee. fine, they then charge me interest and payment protection on that 30 euro coming to about .60 cent. and to top it all off they remove the credit card from my beneficiaries list on the 365 site so i have to go into a branch to pay it?!?

Now im not a cheap person, i dont need that .60 but its the principle and the blatant idiots on the 365 helpline not willing to discuss the matter.

Anyway, long story short i want to move to a new bank, can anyone recommend who they are with and why? Online banking is a must but aside from that i'm flexible.

has anyone experienced moving there entire life from one bank to another or have any advice on trying to clear up all the lose ends?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

PTSB
    yer only man and they change everything over for you
    Internet banking is a piece of p1ss
    although some of the girls in gorey are as thick as a brush

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snapplejacks

yeah, i stopped banking with BOI over 2 years ago.

One day I was in branch depositing some money plus I also enquired about maybe getting a DEBIT card and ended up coming out with a credit card due to HARD SALE talk from a BOI employee.....I'm not a credit card person and was very unimpressed. I never used it and have never cancelled it.

soon after i looked elsewhere and made the move...it was no problem even with all my direct debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

One day I was in branch depositing some money plus I also enquired about maybe getting a DEBIT card and ended up coming out with a credit card due to HARD SALE talk from a BOI employee.....I'm not a credit card person and was very unimpressed. I never used it and have never cancelled it.

you might want to look into cancelling that card - you're paying an annual govt tax of about 40 euros just for the privilage of having it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

cance wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My bank is really irking me and i wish to cut all ties with them. This has been along time coming but my most recent argument with them over cancelling a credit card takes the biscuit.

i cancel card, they charge me 30 euro goverment fee. fine, they then charge me interest and payment protection on that 30 euro coming to about .60 cent. and to top it all off they remove the credit card from my beneficiaries list on the 365 site so i have to go into a branch to pay it?!?

Now im not a cheap person, i dont need that .60 but its the principle and the blatant idiots on the 365 helpline not willing to discuss the matter.

Anyway, long story short i want to move to a new bank, can anyone recommend who they are with and why? Online banking is a must but aside from that i'm flexible.

has anyone experienced moving there entire life from one bank to another or have any advice on trying to clear up all the lose ends?

I empathise with you. They're are somefolk in 365 who are thick as muck. Even staff face problems like this on a daily basis. Please contact customer care with your complaint. The number is on the website. At least by letting them know it won't happen again. Man sh1t like this makes my blood boil.
    the GALL wrote: »
    PTSB
    yer only man and they change everything over for you
    Internet banking is a piece of p1ss
    although some of the girls in gorey are as thick as a brush

Stay well away from PTSB. My only experience of changing an account to them was a nightmare. Business customer and all. Muppets.
    yeah, i stopped banking with BOI over 2 years ago.

soon after i looked elsewhere and made the move...it was no problem even with all my direct debits.

With respect nobody "forced" you to get a credit card. Banks are in the business of sales. If you didn't want one you should have said no.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Be very careful about changing. There are a lot of horror stories out there. Certainly our limited experience suggests that Ulster should be avoided. PTSB seem to be dodgy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Fabio

I've switched to Ulster and they've been very good to be honest whilst the switchever from AIB was easy as pie but took up to 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I find BOI service a bit more hit and miss than my other banks (PTSB and Ulster) in that it can be very very good or exceptionally bad. The branch nearest where I work is ridiculous but I have no choice but to use it; yet my 'home' branch is great, and always willing to step in to rectify the cock-ups of the branch near my work.

Vote with your feet by all means, but for every bank there's customers with horror stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

To the OP, you don't have to have all your eggs in one basket.

I have my c/a in BOI and my credit card ('cos they do the TCD vanity card :o )
    Mortgage with NIB
    Savings with Rabo & FA

Pick the best for each of the accounts you require rather than put it all in a single bank. Don't choose or drop a bank to make a point or because you're 'irked'. They won't notice or care. Use them like they use you.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

cance wrote: »

Not trying to be smart here, but the 30 euro is the stamp duty on the card. This is charged in april of every year, and is payable for the previous year. IE, the charge you pay in april '08 covers you from may 07 to april '08. When you cancel the card after april, you are liable for the charge for 08/09. The bank can't do anything about this, it has to be charged. Payment protection is charged per transaction, and the 30 charge counts as a transaction, hence payment protection is applied. Unfortunately, once you cancel a card or close an account it drops off your 365 profile. This is to prevent people from accidentaly doing transfers into closed accounts, which can lead to all sorts of messing. Did you ring Credit Card Services before you cancelled the card? If you did, then they should have advised you of what charges needed to be paid so you could lodge to the card before cancelling it.
    i dont need that .60 but its the principle

If i had a Euro for every time someone's said that to me.....
    and the blatant idiots on the 365 helpline not willing to discuss the matter.

I empathise here, there's nothing worse than talking to someone in a call centre who is either unwilling or unable to solve your problem. Give the customer care team a call on 1890 753357 or email careline@boimail.com, and let them know the details of your complaint. Even if you do intend to change banks, it's important to let them know. Also they may well send you out a voucher or something, so you'd probably make the €30 back.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but could be worth it if you really do not want to stay with BOI. My advice is have your other account open and up and running before you start the switching procedure. Notify anyone who you have direct debits with of your new details in good time, and leave your old account open for about a month after you have switched just in case anything is put through to your old account by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Moved to PTSB and have not regretted it. I've had no problems with the free banking, online and the customer service which is very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Irked or not, I closed everything in BOI and AIB because they were either grossly overcharging me for very basic accounts (like a cashsave account in AIB that charged the same as a current account with almost none of the benefits) or not offering me much of a service. I found them quite poor and the services very poor.

I moved to NIB some years ago, no complaints, except they like you to come in personally for a lot of stuff which may be difficult for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I moved from BOI to PTSB a few years and I think it was a great decision. I moved around the time they were first promoting their no fee banking and easy transfer process. The no fee banking was a welcome break to being charged a small fee by BOI for transaction. The easy transfer didn't work properly at the time as my direct debits weren't switched over and I had to set them up again myself. However, they did ring me up a month or two after I switched and told them about my experience and they took everything on board.

Advertisement