Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rusted Bolt on Exhaust Manifold

Options
  • 25-07-2008 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm trying to change the exhaust manifold on my car. Problem is the bolt that is in the most awkward place possible is really rusted and ringed.

I really need to get this off. any mechanics here know what to do?
    I cannot:
    break it off
    saw it off
    hammer an 11mm on the 12mm nut
    get a vice grips around it
    or heat it

as there is not enough room.

Ive been told to get bolt remover sockets. anyone know where I can get these? I tried halfords... no joy.

Cheers
    Graham

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

grahambo wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm trying to change the exhaust manifold on my car. Problem is the bolt that is in the most awkward place possible is really rusted and ringed.

I really need to get this off. any mechanics here know what to do?
    I cannot:
    break it off
    saw it off
    hammer an 11mm on the 12mm nut
    get a vice grips around it
    or heat it

as there is not enough room.

Ive been told to get bolt remover sockets. anyone know where I can get these? I tried halfords... no joy.

Cheers
    Graham

Weld on a bolt and turn that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I would doubt that you have room to weld a nut on.

I've seen guys hammer a smaller socket onto the head and get them off that way. Problem is that you might break the bolt head off.

Either way try not to twist the bolt as if you break it you'll have to take the cylinder head off and drill it out.

I think you should get a mechanic to do it though as they already have all these tools and they're more used to jobs like this. It wouldn't even take them long to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

If you can 'soak' the nut in old brake fluid it can help loosen the nut ..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Use plenty of penetrating fluid. Wait. Get it nice and hot. Run the engine for 15 mins.

It should free off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The Nut its self has had half a can of WD 40 spayed on it.

I think this is what I need

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100518

I dunno anywhere in dublin that sells these types of tools though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You could try McQuillans Tools in Blanchardstown SC. They have a great selection of gear and may stock them or suggest another solution. They're beside Next in the Westend part.

ksimpson wrote: »
    You could try McQuillans Tools in Blanchardstown SC. They have a great selection of gear and may stock them or suggest another solution. They're beside Next in the Westend part.

tried, they don't have em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

can you get an angle grinder in there ?? or is it difficult to reach? if you can get the angle grinder to the bolt and then drill whats left of the bolt and retapp it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Are you using six or twelve sided sockets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Give it a sharp tap. May loosen build up of rust?

It must be hot btw. As hot as poss.

• Advertisement

JoeySully wrote: »
    can you get an angle grinder in there ?? or is it difficult to reach? if you can get the angle grinder to the bolt and then drill whats left of the bolt and retapp it
    No Chance LOL
    Are you using six or twelve sided sockets.
    12, But I'm after sourcing a set of bolt extractors. please god they will work!!!!!!
    Give it a sharp tap. May loosen build up of rust?

It must be hot btw. As hot as poss.
    The Car is an Evo 5 dude. Highly stressed engine. you wouldn't believe how hot it gets. I wouldn't be able to get my hand down in the gap with out burning the skin off myself.... I'm not that desperate... YET

using an open flame to heat is is also not an option as the whole area is cover in WD40 (highly flammable)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

A six sided socket should sort it out be a lot cheaper than bolt extractors.

Might try and get my hands on one also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Have you actually managed to get the correct size socket on to it? or does it keep slipping off?

I would suggest dressing/cleaning up the 6 sides of the bolt with a small file, then just putting the correct size socket on it. As others have said the six sided sockets with the corners drilled out are quite good as they grip the 6 flats of the bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

grahambo wrote: »
    tried, they don't have em

Yes they do, along the right hand wall, next to the sockets and vice grips.

I've got a similar prob and been in there several times this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Get it to a garage with an oxy-acetylene torch, it'll be off in 10 minutes - you're gonna end up shearing it off if you're not careful, and that will break your heart!

Got it off at last

DSC00112.jpg

New one will go on tomorrow

DSC00113.jpg

Never again
    DSC00114.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ Nice, what's the car?

Evo 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Were they the shoes you were wearing while servicing the car? No wonder you couldn't get a proper grip...!
    :)

• Advertisement

Those are animal loffers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How did you get it off in the end?

Advertisement