Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the big deal about picatinny rails??

Options
  • 25-07-2008 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Following on from the 'what's a good .223' discussions, I've been looking at Tikka T3's. Some of the higher spec models have picatinny rails. I had a look on wikipedia about them, but to me at least, they just seem like a tarted up scope rail. I presume if you are putting tac-lights, lasers and grenade launchers on your rifle, then they may be useful, but to regular joe hunter, is there anything that would justify the extra spend??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I can't help you as to why the picatinny rails are an advantage but I can tell you that they are only fitted on the heavy barrelled Tikka's and though they are a great gun I personally find them a bit on the heavy side to be carrying around all day. When you have scope bipod, rings, slings etc fitted you will be looking at betweeb 10/12 pounds weight and as a gun to fire from standing I don't find them very pointable(just my opinion btw) but super accurate to fire from prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thats why I suppose they called them tactical rifles[although it is abit of a misnomer].As they were originally designed as police rifles,and police snipers dont move around alot as do military snipers,and shoot on a established fixed distance,and need to be super accurate shooters.It makes sense to be able to hang on extra bits as the situation progresses.IR tac lights,lasers etc as you dont have to worry about carrying all that extra kit about once it is on your rifle.
    Any practical civvie use,bi pods,quick change scope set up ,and for mounting a foxing lamp maybe?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats why I suppose they called them tactical rifles[although it is abit of a misnomer].As they were originally designed as police rifles,and police snipers dont move around alot as do military snipers,and shoot on a established fixed distance,and need to be super accurate shooters.It makes sense to be able to hang on extra bits as the situation progresses.IR tac lights,lasers etc as you dont have to worry about carrying all that extra kit about once it is on your rifle.
    Any practical civvie use,bi pods,quick change scope set up ,and for mounting a foxing lamp maybe?

Kinda thought the same thing. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

they are designed to help stiffen the action and reducing "recoil flex" by bridgeing both sides at the scope mounts rather than seperate mounts and bases and the scope doing the bridgeing

Advertisement