Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car assessor - cert of road worthn

Options
  • 25-07-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Just wondering if anyone knows whats involved in getting the cert of roadworthiness? Do they perform some NDT on the chassis i.e. ultrasonic or c-scan? also car assessors in galway (apart from McClosky) in Galway. i checked golden pages there and they all seem to be coming up for Dublin and parts of Munster.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I don't know personally, but give them a call. I haven't herd of this being done before. Only in an Insurance job, where an assesor comes out to look at the car.
    Even he does not give a cert, just a value of the car etc.
    NCT is not a cert of road worthiness either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

NCT is not a cert of road worthiness either!!

Could you explain that please?

From the NCT website
    The NCT tests the roadworthiness of motor vehicles and identifies any defects, such as faulty brakes, unbalanced wheels and thread worn tyres. These defects must be repaired and the car must pass a re-test before the car owner will be issued with an NCT Certificate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 risk

this would be for a fixed up car that was deemed to be BER by insurance company. They said that it needs this cert so that it could be insured again. As far as i know its not an NCT thing

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

heres a link to a list of assessors in Galway

http://www.localbusinesspages.ie/category.asp?category=Assessors%20And%20Adjusters

also if you search under assessors and adjusters in the golden pages you'll find them.

As far as i know they just call out to your car and do a visual inspection to make sure the repairs to the car are above board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 risk

thanks bonham, turns out didn't need a cert of roadworthness at all, just an engineers report saying that it was ok to drive.. saved myself a serious amount of dosh there. Was tempted to see if i could write the engineers report myself since i'm a qualified mech engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Cosmo K wrote: »

From the NCT website
    I remember watching a program on RTE a few years back about a crashed car that was put back on the road and sold by an independant trader. The car also had a valid NCT.
    I think the program was an investigation into dodgy car sales people or something. (Clocked or carshed cars being sold)
    Anyway, the RTE presenters approached the NCT people and got the following statement:
    "The NCT is not a certificate of Road worthyness".
    Now those circumstances were difficult for the NCT and maybe the law has changed since, but that is where I got that info.
    You could easily see what happened, i.e. some guy got paid off to cert a dodgy car. The NCT knew this but couldn't admin to it and said that it must have been a mistake.
    Thats all I can remember about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Cosmo K wrote: »

From the NCT website

Cosmo please.....

Please don't get me started about 2nd the biggest joke in Irish Motoring

Road worthiness you say?

I had a 98 Clio a good few years back. and it passed the NCT with "flying colours" even though there a lethal flaw with the vehicle that anyone would have noticed/heard

Wheel bearing was gone and the axle was being chewn away. The guy that fixed it 2 days after the NCT (A good mate of mine) said that another 2/3 months driving and the wheel would have broke off. I was gob smacked. Can you imagine the wheel falling off on the motorway and 60mph. I would have been killed and probably would have killed someone along with me.

NCT is a JOKE

I agree with the Idea and purpose of having an NCT

but the application of that system in this country is nothing short of P*** Poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

Hi Guys,

I just logged on here today as a member and after searching around noticed this.
    The thing that was seen on RTE about the car was actually my car and Me on the TV.
    At the time it stated on the NCT website that "an NCT will ensure the roadworthiness of a secondhand vehicle" but it turned out that they didnt well that was their excuse at the time. So that is why they changed it.
    The car should have never been passed, I still have but it is never drove, as it is dangerous and it is still ongoing in the courts process. It still sickens me looking at the car that I could have got killed in.
    The NCT said that it wasnt picked up on the first test because the damage wasnt visible but, it was visible (in fact very visible), they said the paintwork was scraped off the second time, which it wasnt, there is red paint runs underneath (a black) car which was never painted over!!

But of course the NCT would get away with it, I could never afford a solictor to take the case and no solicitor would touch it. And the fact that the AA backs the NCT up. I was told that i was getting an indepedant investigation into it but I got a letter back in the end on AA headed paper signed by someone i the NCT, a joke, I do not know how they are getting away with it.

The guy I bought it from, (a private sale) has still never did anything or even attempt to sort it out, so its 109 on the circuit list, yeah still wont come up for a long time with the amount that will prob be ajourned.

So heres me still in debt paying off two cars ever since!! Will i ever justice on this???

That is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well I'm for having an NCT, but I do have issues with the way it's done, sometimes......

Sashy, sorry for your pain, but all I can say is, stick it out - don't let the bastard away with it. Eventually it will come up, and you will win. That day, take the yo-yo's, and all the interim interest you'll be owed, and buy something nice (not necessarily a car btw.........) - that and publicly take the guy to the cleaners.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

Thanks for your comment Galway.
    I am sorry if I offend anyone here in their beliefs that the NCT brings good things in anyway. (sorry but this a very touchy subject with me)

But here are the facts of an NCT.
    First when the NCT was contacted about this car, they said the items that was wrong with the car did not fail an NCT. Basically that they didnt check bodywork, cosmetic work etc. (This is firstly how they decided to work their way out of it) It also stated on this letter that they "did not guarantee the safety of a second hand vehicle), even though it states on their website "an NCT will ensure a second hand is roadworthy" So can anyone tell me what is the difference here??
    A few months later I booked the car in for another NCT, kept this quite just to see what would happen, thought they would have copped on but they didnt, from the complaint I already in.
    The car failed quite a good bit of stuff (yes, due to body etc, ""Manufacturers strenght unacceptable"" I was told by the inspectors that day that there was no way they could pass the car as there was nuts and bolts in places where nuts and bolts shouldn be!!! And very visible. I rang customer services straight away and the guy that answered knew all about my complaint, was prob on their system and he said to me "the car actually failed for the reasons that was mentioned in the newspaper?" he seemed surprised that it failed because it it was dangerous. A full page was published in the news of the world about it a couple of months prior to this.

Then they said that it must not have been noticeable in the first test as paint was scraped off before the second test, this is what the excuse and reason for why it failed the second test. Although it is clear to see red paint runs underneath that was never painted over and isoponed all over badly. This was very very visible, unmissible actually, even from the people that looked at the car immediately after I bought it, the car was NCT 3 weeks before I got it.

Regardless of all that, can anyone answer me this question:
    How is it a car can fail if the dept of the letters of a number plate are a few mm too thick?? and car that is dangerous structurlary pass?

What is the point of paying 50 euro for an NCT for the above. Fair enough light bulbs blown, and tyre thread is dangerous and believe me safety is a very big deal to me! But none of these even come closes to as dangerous as a car that is structully damaged, Dont think anyone could dispute that.

I bought this car and thought at least it was safe with a new NCT, the whole country thought this was why the NCT came into effect.

I could have got killed in this car, and this the excuses I got!!! This is how the NCT made things good with me and made me believe how good they are!!!! A few days after I bought this car I was very happy to give my friend and her son who was only a few weeks old at the time a lift and had a very close one from a mad driver who drove out of a lane in front of me! Do I have to say anything else here?

If the worst had to have happened, thankfully it didnt, but who would have to answer the questions then? It would have been a criminal case then. Unfortunatley the cold fact is that nobody has taken it seriously is because I didnt have an accident or didnt get killed in the car! This is the reality.The fact is I have only put one dangerous car off the road from highlighting this issue. How many more is there?

As for the guy I bought this car off, what galway said is exactly what I will be doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement