Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking two houses

Options
  • 25-07-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

My brother law is looking into sharing his neighbours broadband connection. Their two houses are a short distance apart. so possibly the cheapest and quickest solution is to link them using a lenght of Cat5.

Would I be correct that the following setup will work?

House 1: (has the broadband connection)

Broadband connection is connected to a router. The router has a public facing IP (assigned by the ISP) and an internal ip (192.168.1.1). It assigns ip addresses to devices connected to it (wired or wireless) in the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254. One of it's ethernet ports is connected to the length of Cat5 connecting the the two houses.

House 2:

Router in house 2 is connected to the router in house 1 by length of Cat5. It is assigned the public ip address of 192.168.1.105 by the router in house 1 and has an internal ip address of 10.0.1.1. It assigns ip addresses to devices connected to it in the range 10.0.1.100 to 10.0.1.254.

Will this set up allow the sharing of the internet connection?

Will there be any issues with firewalls? Port forwarding?

All comments welcome!

(Network diagram attached)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You don't need a router in house 2, that just unnecessarily complicates things. Just get a simple switch for house 2, and let the router in house 1 allocate addresses to clients connected to that switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

ah yes, that makes sense. But what if I want wireless in house 2? Should I use an access point in place of router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

irlrobins wrote: »
    ah yes, that makes sense. But what if I want wireless in house 2? Should I use an access point in place of router?

It depends what type of router you're using. All the routers I use can be set up as APs.
    From the point of managing the system, I would advise disabling the DHCP server in the 2nd router and have all addresses assigned from house 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It depends a bit on what works out cheaper .. like FuzzyClam says if you already have an old unused router, then just disable the DHCP server, and connect the cat5 cable to one of the switch ports. You're not then using the router functionality in the box, just the switch and wireless AP parts .. the routing and NAT stuff is going on in the router in house 1.

If you're going exclusively down the wireless path in the second house, then a wireless AP would be adequate, and might work out cheaper if you have to buy something rather than reuse an old router. Otherwise if you need both wired and wireless connections in house 2, then buying a wireless AP and a switch (most if not all wireless AP's only have one wired LAN port) might work out more expensive, although simple 4 port switches can be had very cheaply. It depends really, sometimes you can pick up an old wireless router on adverts.ie for only €20 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Thanks guys, some good info there.

The cheaper option might be for my bro in law not to be a stingy so and so and get his own IBB connection. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

www.irishwan.ie - A group of techies that can probably offer you some help. Not sure, but you do need a bigger package to share your BB. Only business users can legally share (At least that was the case a number of years ago).

Advertisement