Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum age for extra-hungry formula?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Noob dad time again.

We are currently formula feeding our 3 week old son. He's a big baby (10lb, 7oz). He was sleeping much more the first week or two but is up every 2-3 hours, and polishing off 5oz with no trouble.

Did anybody else here switch to a richer (extra-hungry) formula at an early age? What age is safest for his digestive system? Obviously, we'll ask the health nurse next visit before trying anything, but would be interested in hearing from other parents who also have an eating machine on their hands. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

We used SMA White at a very early stage, but only after consulting with our PHN. Around the one or two month stage iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I switched to hungry sma after about three months i'd say but definitely check with your public health nurse as it might be too rich for baby's little stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

babies tend to go through growing spurts where they eat and sleep a lot for a week or two and settle back into a routine,

I bf my babs, but a friend of mine with her 3 month old, started him on hungry feeds at night and normal feeds at day, seems to work for them, but i would ask phn as baby is young

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I use cow gate well my girlfriend decided that. I try not to over feed just every for hours timed and usually some cooled boiled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larr

We had to switch to Aptamil Extra hungry on our second baby...what we did was buy a few of those ready to drink tetra paks and tried him out for a day or two. Our PHN was against it with our first baby...but you're a little braver on the second!
    Keep checking that his pooh isn't getting hard...and I'd agree with RealistSpy about the cooled boiled water.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Larr

P.S. Our baby was about 5 weeks when we switched him

Advertisement