Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I remember sleep, the puppy is a night owl!

Options
  • 25-07-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

We found a stray a couple of weeks and as no one has come forward, he (buddy) is now part of the family! the problem is where buddy sleeps.. i would really like him to sleep in the kitchen, he would really like to sleep in my bedroom. We settled for the hall outside my bedroom until the last two night when he has woken up about 2.30 in the morning then he become very vocal in wanting to come in..!! banging on the door and whimpering !!

He gets lots of exercise in the day and on the whole is a darling! (he is about 5 months old).

Any suggesting..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

He's chancing his arm. Buddy is trying to see how soft you are :D.

Make sure he has gone to the toilet and has plenty of water available during the night. Get him a bed for in the kitchen (maybe a crate, they like the feeling of security) and just try to ignore for a few nights when he starts. If you react in any way at all he will keep doing it. When he sees it's getting him nowhere, chances are he will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Storm_rages

thanks helena!

ok will ignore it for the next couple of nights.. he has a dog bowl and a dog flat.. so he should be sorted!!

mind you it is very hard to sleep ... and i hate to annoy the neighbours...

I know, but unless you want him crying everytime he wants attentions. You will end up wit a very spoilt and demanding dog. :D He will stop after a few minutes though. Maybe you could explain to the neighbours that it will only be for a few days (it will not take long)?

Hope so.. he seems a determined little ball of fur... (it seemed none stop last night)

still you are dead right.. I will be more firm in ignoring him!!

wish me luck... (thanks again!)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

It's like a baby chancing it's arm every night crying to see if you will take it out of bed.. :D

oh god i am so going to be a crap parent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

My cat does this the whole time!!!

Goes to her food bowl and cries til I fill it, then just walks away.

Cries at the window to let in, and walks away as soon as I open it for her.

I think she just does it to annoy me... sadistic little witch... :mad:

On a more serious note, going to the pup when he cries is just encouraging him- you are actually (without meaning to) training him that crying gets him what he wants! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Like I said before..just like a baby..when a baby cries at night and there is nothing wrong with it and you still pick it up and cuddle it your basically teaching the baby that when it cries it will get cuddled..your supposed to ignore the baby and after a few days it gets the picture that your not going to cuddle it...suppose it's the same with the puppy :D

Advertisement