Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo - Stuttering when accelerating

Options
  • 25-07-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

A friend has a 2000 VW Polo that stutters when accelerating (in any gear I think). It has done this for > 1 year. She brought it to a local independent mechanic who couldnt diagnose it; his attitude was that it is "one of those things with the car". So... she is learning to live with it. (she's skint so cant afford to go to a VW garage)

By looking at various threads, it seems like there could be some coil or spark plug problem.

Anyone had this problem and able to diagnose it?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I had a similiar problem with a golf. mechanic changed a spark plug cable/lead and it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

First thing is change the .................mechanic.
    As*hole.
    Most likely a faulty coil pack but unfortunately, you have to go to a qualified mechanic to get the correct info/diagnosis.
    Do not go to a VW dealership. That IS a waste of money. Ask around for a Good mechanic. Shouldn't cost too much for him/her to have a look at the car and diagnose the fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

"one of those things with the car":eek:

Its not the first time iv heard stuff like this and if he had the balls to charge for that bit of advice/work i would have ripped him a new one just for that attitude.

Get to a good mechanic and ask do they have diagnostic equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

does it cut out when idling?

does it struggle or stutter when accelerating?

usually a mix between the spark plug leads / plugs or the throttle body.

i had a similar issue with a 98 polo.

fixed by changing spark plug leads, cleaning out throttle body.

also maybe get the distributor cap cleaned out.

new spark plugs and vw spark plug leads will set u back around 100euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

If she does a lot of short hop runs, the Polo's are known for dirtying up the throttle body.

Usually a quick clean for a few quid does the trick, but if it's always doing short hops it will come back.

Most independents who see Polo's will have a quick job for a few €€ to sort it out.

It will show up on the diagnostics as well - you don't need a VW dealer for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 neglectarino

1. Yes it just struggles during accelleration
    2. Yes, a lot of her driving is short hops

I'll pass on this advice and recommend she uses a different mechanic.

Thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I had a similiar problem with a golf. mechanic changed a spark plug cable/lead and it was fine.

+1.

Take out the plugs one by one and look for a faint thin black line down the side of the white porecelain part. Sign that you need a new plug lead. Best to change the 4 while you're at it. The rest wont be far behind.

It is a classic plug lead symptom tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Can I also just say your mechanic is a complete clown. Surely this is one of the most basic problems that go wrong with cars. People like him give decent mechanics a bad name.

Advertisement