Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power supply issue?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I've just bough this

1.00 354481 KOMPLETT? Upgrade-Kit AMD Gamer

1.00 348531 AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core 2.4 GHz Boxed
    , 4MB Cache, Socket AM2+, 125w
    1.00 346010 Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, AMD 780G+SB700,
    HDMI, Socket-AM2+, m-ATX, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16
    1.00 343039 OCZ nVIDIA SLI DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT,
    XTC, w/two 2048MB, CL5-4-4-15
    1.00 343055 Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA2

and when I connect everything up she boots and the xp setup starts but once it gets to about 38 minutes left in the setup the pc powers off. Now to get the pc to boot again I have to unplug the power cable and try again.

The PSU is only 400w and there are 2 dvd drives and another hard drive. I'm making the assumption (hoping) that the power supply isnt up to the job and that the mobo is not shorting.

Can you give me your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Tippex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Sounds like overheating.

Did you apply thermal grease? Is there good contact between the CPU and heatsink/fan?

Are the CPU and case fans turning?

You could turn it on and have a look at the temps in BIOS. This should tell if there's something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

yep applied thermal grease. and there seemed to be a decent connection.
    When I checked the temps in the bios the cpu was running at 41-42 c.

It's using the stock cpu fan so probably gonna pop to peats at lunch and pick up a zalman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Unless you are running a graphics card like a 8800gtx or better i cant imagine the psu is not powerfull enough.

I'm running a XFX GeForce 8800GT 640M 512MB XT GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI/HDCP, 640/1900Mhz. which is why I'm assming its the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Those temps sound high for an ilding system alright.

Although, it's hard to see why your system would be overheating. Stock cooling should be ok unless you are overclocking.

Sure the CPU and case fans are connected to the mb and running?

In your BIOS, do you have fan control options? You could disable smart fan control and have it running on high all the time, something like that.

You could also try removing, cleaning and reseating the heatsink/cooler - sometimes airbubbles can cause pockets of thermal insulation. A quick google shows this, clever enough technique for applying thermal compound:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips692/

Might be worth giving it ago before shelling 60 notes!

• Advertisement

I probably did go over the top with the thermal grease. It was a lot thicker than I remember the last time so was a nightmare to spread so I think I'll get some new arctic silver.

ok o I've now took everything apart.
    Cleaned off the Thermal paste.

Put everything back together and now not a dicky bird. No video output.
    on the onboard or the pci-e card.
    Have tried it outside the case and still the same.

Any thoughts? Not sure if the board is now gone or the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

is the Motherboard lighting up? blue and orange lights? Also, try disconnecting power for any case fans. Just put power to the mobo, cpu and fan, and graphics card.

yep the mobo i getting power allright the fan on the cpu cooler i running fine. There doesnt seem to be any lights on the motherboard.

Advertisement