Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good ladies bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They could be OK but I would consider other manufacturers such as Giant and if buying from CSS, Lapierre. Raleigh hasn't really had the best reputation since the 80s if not earlier.

Number 1 thing is that it fits so if possible get her to try it out first.

Bear in mind that she will only need that type of frame if she needs to cycle in a long skirt- many women cycle "mens" bikes in the sense of normal crossbar/top tube- even most "women specific design" bikes have a crossbar that looks just like a man's bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

cheers for the good advice.

Hope to have it as a surprise present, so I'm going risk buying it first.
    Will try best with measurements etc...

Can't imagine she'l ever wear skirts cycling, so will look into a mans bike, but she's a bit of a girlie girl, so would probably like a splash of pink or purple somewhere on it!

Dawes Discovery series and the Trek FX series are also good options. Both were redesigned this year and look nice IMHO.

Trek 7.0FX (€365), 7.1FX (€420) or 7100 would be roughly in your budget as would the Dawes Discovery 201 (€339) - I have one of these myself (used to cost €375!) and have been very happy with it.

Note the Discovery is available in a ladies (sloping crossbar) version.

Specialized Globe (€399) and Giant CRS 4.0 (€349) would also be well worth considering; the Giant is a very nice looking bike and reasonably light for the price (12.2kg.)

A city bike is to an extent a sub class of hybrid that tends to include rack, mudguards and sometimes a chain guard although you can always add these to any hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

for a girl, cycling for leisure/fitness, would a road bike be out of the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paintkaz

Awww - what a lovely b.f. you are!
    From a female p.o.v. - a lot of beginner girls don't want faffing around with gears and mending punctures and the like (although I enjoy this myself, other girls just look at me like I'm mad whenever I mention anything of it). Although I have a sirrus most women find mens bikes too long (saddle to handlebars) and therefore more tiring on the arms neck and shoulders. This isn't the kind of thing you notice when you are in the shop, but after a few miles of use.
    The women's trek mentioned above sounds like a good idea to kick off with.
    I hope she appreciates the long term fitness and figure enhancing benefits of cycling and thanks you very very much for the thoughtful present.

• Advertisement

paintkaz wrote: »
    From a female p.o.v. - a lot of beginner girls don't want faffing around with gears and mending punctures and the like
    Surely that is what boyfriends are for?
    Although I have a sirrus most women find mens bikes too long (saddle to handlebars) and therefore more tiring on the arms neck and shoulders.
    This is indeed true, women tend to have longer legs and a shorter torso compared to men- hence the proliferation of woman-specific geometry.

@uberworf- not at all out of the question although TBH I would tend to think a flat bar hybrid is a better starting point for someone who hasn't cycled before.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

Hi Whiskeyman,
    the quality in general purpose bikes in that range is generally good. (although Raleigh don't seem to have a as good a reputation since they left Nottingham). Have a look at the other makes mentioned, some may have better features.
    As you mentioned that your g/f is just starting cycling, I'd recommend a bike fitted with mudguards and either a rear carrier or a basket, it's not pleasent cycling through the puddles which always seem to collect in the cycle lanes or roadside and with our uncertain weather it is useful to carry a mac.

Advertisement