Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all poster llowed call each other "muppet" or just mods?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭

look whats the story here

i point out that name calling is the resourt of the mods that run the airsoft forum and i get callet a muppet and a whinger

is this allowed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

more nastyness

is this behaviour allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The feedback forum has been extremely lightly moderated. This has been to provide users and mods alike to have an open platform and to provide as clear and transparent a complaint process as possible.

However, this forum is currently in a slight shift of moderation as now the Smods have a wee bit more power to mod the forum and look into problems that may arise in the feedback forum.

It's early days yet but I think that the Smods may improve the signal:noise ratio by helping out modding Feedback.

Gordon wrote: »
    The feedback forum has been extremely lightly moderated. This has been to provide users and mods alike to have an open platform and to provide as clear and transparent a complaint process as possible.

However, this forum is currently in a slight shift of moderation as now the Smods have a wee bit more power to mod the forum and look into problems that may arise in the feedback forum.

It's early days yet but I think that the Smods may improve the signal:noise ratio by helping out modding Feedback.

So its not really permitted but at the moment the structures are not in place to enforce what should be simple common courtesy.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

No I don't think I said that.

The feedback forum was lightly moderated to provide transparency.

Now the feedback forum is moderated more than it was before. Hopefully it will still provide an appropriate transparency with the new change.

No I don't think I said that.

The feedback forum was lightly moderated to provide transparency.

Now the feedback forum is moderated more than it was before. Hopefully it will still provide an appropriate transparency with the new change.

yes these are all good things that you are saying

my query is this: were the earlier comments within or outside the "bounds" of what is tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was over the top, but relatively understandable considering it wasn't made without provocation.

It won't be dealt with at this point because it's passed. In future, Feedback will still be lightly moderated, but we will be keeping an eye out and trying to reduce the amount of people using feedback as an opportunity to attack others, as well as trying to stop threads being dragged off topic by tangental agendas.

seamus wrote: »
    It was over the top, but relatively understandable considering it wasn't made without provocation.

It won't be dealt with at this point because it's passed. In future, Feedback will still be lightly moderated, but we will be keeping an eye out and trying to reduce the amount of people using feedback as an opportunity to attack others, as well as trying to stop threads being dragged off topic by tangental agendas.

i don't have an agenda
    why is anything that is in any way questioning the way the irsoft forum is run an agenda

what did i do to provoke him? nothing i said nothing to him if kd or oisin had resourted to name calling (which they didn't and i doubt ever would) you might have a point

i don't expect gandalf to be scolded and btw the only reason that the matter is passed is because my report posts was ignored and you locked the thread

fact of the matter seems to be that because gandalf is gandalf he can call me names to his hearts content and i can go swing because i dared to say that there was a bias

this seems to prove my point

a friend of mine has sent me a link with a picture of gandalf form "know you nerds"

so if you are listening gandalf i now understand and forgive you

Tigger wrote: »
    what did i do to provoke him?
    Go back and read the thread again. You insulted the IAA team. That's provocation in my book.
    i don't expect gandalf to be scolded and btw the only reason that the matter is passed is because my report posts was ignored and you locked the thread
    I didn't lock the thread. The matter has passed because the post was made well before the Smods were given any remit in Feedback.
    so if you are listening gandalf i now understand and forgive you
    See above about provocation. If you give it, you have to expect to receive it. You can hardly expect the admins to take pity on you when you routinely insult those that you're complaining about.

Go back and read the thread again. You insulted the IAA team. That's provocation in my book.
    I didn't lock the thread. The matter has passed because the post was made well before the Smods were given any remit in Feedback.
    See above about provocation. If you give it, you have to expect to receive it. You can hardly expect the admins to take pity on you when you routinely insult those that you're complaining about.

i never insulted gandalf before what spefically are you refering to?
    he gets to call me a muppet and you will come up with any amount of lies to cover that up

i never insulted the iaa team (show me where i did) is gandalf even on the iaa comitee?

this is what i said, this is what he reacted to
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56673751&postcount=22

yes its biased
    its run by people who also run the iaa and act like they own airsoft
    as long as one behaves and vdosent test them they may stay
    otherwisr they are called whingers
    moaners
    trolls
    and politicians

so i say that i'm been called names and treated unfairly and i get called name and what does gandalf do in response he calls me a muppet a whinger and suggests i have ocd

and you say i provoked him

where
    i challange you to show me where i provoked gandalf apart fro as i said in the post that offended him that there is a bias towards the iaa and that anyone who steps out of line it is called names

interestingly the acting chair and pro have posted on my threadwith clear answers to my questions and have stated that the thread was anexcellet air clearer and have asked for more communication for the boards community

gandalf was in the wrong

and no amouunt of your lies about me supposedly insulting him will change that

i don't know if the admins care and you are a liar so either you show me where i provoked gandalf or just go away and leave me to talk to myself

i had a quick look at gandalf's profile and seing that he is friends with beruthial, who must have locked the thread if you didn't, and with cloud this is pointless

that said this means that ye broke the golden rule of feedback

"Does this dissolve the commandment from the old testament :
    "This is the forum where all users are equal except for the 5 admins:
    Vexorg, DeVore, Regi, Ecksor and Cloud"
    "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

i had a quick look at gandalf's profile and seing that he is friends with beruthial

What are you implying by that remark?

i had a quick look at gandalf's profile and seing that he is friends with beruthial, who must have locked the thread if you didn't, and with cloud this is pointless
    And I'm friends with a sitebanned user, what's your point?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    What are you implying by that remark?

i'm stating not implying that you are friends with gandalf,
    i'm assuming not implying that you locked the thread if seamus didn't (did you)

i'm surmiseing(sp) not implying that this ment that gandalf felt (correctly it seems ) that he could act with impunity

And I'm friends with a sitebanned user, what's your point?

i didn't say anything about you gordon

you have expalined that the forum was lightly moderated and i fully accepted that. i felt that the comment was beyond the pale but that i had accepted as my own problem

what got my hackles (sic) up again was seamus telling me i deserved it

i never insulted gandalf before what spefically are you refering to?
    i never insulted the iaa team (show me where i did) is gandalf even on the iaa comitee?
    You quoted it yourself:
    yes its biased
    its run by people who also run the iaa and act like they own airsoft
    as long as one behaves and vdosent test them they may stay
    otherwisr they are called whingers
    I've no idea if gandalf is on the IAA committee, but even if he isn't, attacking the association itself is likely to cause it's members or supporters to get irritated. It's provocation.
    i don't know if the admins care and you are a liar so either you show me where i provoked gandalf or just go away and leave me to talk to myself
    You can retract your liar statement now. Whether you agree with me or not is irrelevant. You provoked it. Simple as.
    what got my hackles (sic) up again was seamus telling me i deserved it
    Stop lying. Where did I say that?

In fact, I agreed that it was over the top.

Fact of the matter is, the comment was made before us Smods were given any power to act in Feedback. Therefore I can't go back and do anything about a comment that was made at a time when it didn't break any rules.

If the admins want to do anything about it now, then that's their perogative.

You quoted it yourself:
    I've no idea if gandalf is on the IAA committee, but even if he isn't, attacking the association itself is likely to cause it's members or supporters to get irritated. It's provocation.

i wasn't atrtacking any one i said that i was being called names if i said anything remotly non-positive about the iaa and in response i was called a name thats not attacking that pointing out

Stop lying. Where did I say that?

here

provoked him?

and here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56685710&postcount=7

In fact, I agreed that it was over the top.

Fact of the matter is, the comment was made before us Smods were given any power to act in Feedback. Therefore I can't go back and do anything about a comment that was made at a time when it didn't break any rules.

If the admins want to do anything about it now, then that's their perogative.

i had accepted that it was pre-smod than you started again telling me i provoked him where i clearly didn't

i reiterate , i complaind that i had been previously called names for mentioning the slightest little issue with the iaa and i got called a muppet

i reported the post and nothing happened
    i complained to you in thread when you asked if i had any other issue sand you said i provoked him.

i never even mentioned him
    the only thing i did to provoke him was to start a feedback thread.

this is pointless i'mcjasing my tail here

can an admin just come here and tell me to feck off because i can see that i'm clearly being baited into loosing my cool so ye can say i deserve what ever i get

You see the words there: "It was over the top"?
    i had accepted that it was pre-smod than you started again telling me i provoked him where i clearly didn't
    We'll have to agree to disagree then.
    i reiterate , i complaind that i had been previously called names for mentioning the slightest little issue with the iaa and i got called a muppet

i reported the post and nothing happened
    i complained to you in thread when you asked if i had any other issue sand you said i provoked him.
    I also said I was still thinking about it. Which I did.

I also said I was still thinking about it. Which I did.

whats to think about ?

if you allowed flaming based on the "he asked for it " defense

i'm stating not implying that you are friends with gandalf

And your point in making that comment is?
    can an admin just come here and tell me to feck off

Why do you need an Admin to tell you that?

• Advertisement

whats to think about ?

if you allowed flaming based on the "he asked for it " defense
    I was thinking about whether action needed to be taken. I then told you that it didn't, and why. You agreed.
    i had accepted that it was pre-smod

Beruthiel wrote: »
    And your point in making that comment is?

not a comment its a statement, don't act dumb it dosen't suit you

Why do you need an Admin to tell you that?

as i posted earlier the golden rule of feedback was that all are equal save the admins

this is apparantly a pre-smod / feedback interaction so i assume that on thois feedback issue we are all equal save for the admins

this is why

I was thinking about whether action needed to be taken. I then told you that it didn't, and why. You agreed.

thats the funniest selective quoting i have seen yet

here is the full line

i also had accepted what gordon had said not what you had said gordon didn't try to blame me

you feel that its ok to call someone ocd and a muppett with impunity you think i provoked him
    you said he was "just trolling"

you feel that its ok to call someone ocd and a muppett with impunity
    The former I think is down there with calling you a "poo-poo head" on the scale of insults. It's a cheap shot, but it's not exactly emotionally crippling.
    I never said that it was OK to call you a muppet. Again, quote me where I said it was OK to call you a muppet.
    i also had accepted what gordon had said not what you had said gordon didn't try to blame me
    You had accepted that it was not in our remit to deal with it, regardless of whether I or Gordon said it, you agreed with the point that we both made.

Do you ever actually read what people post or do you just fabricate what you want to read?

As for the provocation thing, I think we're past that. We disagreed. It's irrelevant now. Whether or not you or I call it "provocation", you've agreed that it's for the admins to deal with.

not a comment its a statement, don't act dumb it dosen't suit you

You made that comment for a reason. You are implying something. I'm waiting for you to explain your reason for bringing that up in this thread.
    as i posted earlier the golden rule of feedback was that all are equal save the admins

this is apparantly a pre-smod / feedback interaction so i assume that on thois feedback issue we are all equal save for the admins

this is why

Most of the time, Admins do not have the time to check every thread on Help Desk or Feedback, that's why they have Smods.

The former I think is down there with calling you a "poo-poo head" on the scale of insults. It's a cheap shot, but it's not exactly emotionally crippling.

flaming is flaming its "just trolling" is it cheap shots should not be justified

I never said that it was OK to call you a muppet. Again, quote me where I said it was OK to call you a muppet.
    you allowed a person to call me a muppett you said you'd think about whether any action should be taken and then you decided it was not nessiciary you said all these things they show that by what you say you think its peachy

You had accepted that it was not in our remit to deal with it, regardless of whether I or Gordon said it, you agreed with the point that we both made.

you hadn't even posted in this thread at the point i had accepted what gordon had said

Do you ever actually read what people post or do you just fabricate what you want to read?

i read carefully i know whaat i've said i didn't provoke anyone i should have not been flamed and you are justifying it

As for the provocation thing, I think we're past that. We disagreed. It's irrelevant now. Whether or not you or I call it "provocation", you've agreed that it's for the admins to deal with.

yes please have the admins deal with it

i'm sick to the gills of this you will fine thats i have never said a bad word to gandalf yet he jumps into a thread and flames me and as i said before get an admin let them tell me to feck off

you allowed a person to call me a muppett you said you'd think about whether any action should be taken and then you decided it was not nessiciary you said all these things they show that by what you say you think its peachy
    More lies. You've already accepted that I cannot do anything about a comment which has already been made. Therefore I didn't "allow" it nor decide that action wasn't necessary. I said that I couldn't do anything about it.

Just go and get a cup of coffee there, chill out, then come back and read back through this thread.
    and you are justifying it
    Where? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=justify
    I have explained to you why it has occured, I never justified it occuring.

More lies. You've already accepted that I cannot do anything about a comment which has already been made. Therefore I didn't "allow" it nor decide that action wasn't necessary. I said that I couldn't do anything about it.

Just go and get a cup of coffee there, chill out, then come back and read back through this thread.
    Where? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=justify
    I have explained to you why it has occured, I never justified it occuring.

so you agree that it was wrong and should be punished

by admins

so you agree that it was wrong and should be punished
    Under the new set-up, I'd give him a warning.
    by admins
    Under the old set-up, punishment may not be appropriate, regardless of what I think about it.

• Advertisement

so the question was:" Are all poster llowed call each other "muppet" ?

and the answer is not any more but sort of back then?

thanks for your time and effort

Advertisement