Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Town Bus

Options
  • 25-07-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

I have seen the town bus going around the road and I am just wondering what exact route it takes and how much it is, if anyone knows.

Could come in quite handy going to and from the station each day..

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Bus Eireann in association with Fingal County Council launched a new circular town service in Balbriggan on Thursday 1st December 2005. The route operates anti clockwise from Balbriggan Railway Station via Drogheda Street, the new housing developments along the Balbriggan inner relief road such as Brega & Moylaragh, Dublin Street, Bridge Street & Drogheda Street.

While Optare Excel OP 9 was used on the first day, ML 108 ( above ) , a 1997 Mercedes Benz 811D with Leicester Carriage Builders bodywork has now been allocated to the route, having previously operated the Navan Town service.

The fare is 1 euro per trip & initially operated every 10 minutes, now every 20 minutes approx from 7 am until 7 pm Monday to Saturday. Timetable here
    http://www.irishbuses.com/Balbriggan.html

Check this out also... some people like their buses
    http://www.irishbuses.com/DPC.html

All your commuting needs are listed at the bottom of that page

Not sure if this is up to date but Im sure if im wrong it will be pointed out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The fair as gone up, I think it's now 1.15 euro.

Great little service though

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

http://www.irishbuses.com/Balbriggan.html

Check this out also... some people like their buses
    http://www.irishbuses.com/DPC.html

All your commuting needs are listed at the bottom of that page

Not sure if this is up to date but Im sure if im wrong it will be pointed out...

Thanks for the info meditraitor, i'll check it out!

It's gonna be weird not having the luxury of driving to and from everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

I have seen the town bus going around the road and I am just wondering what exact route it takes and how much it is, if anyone knows.

Could come in quite handy going to and from the station each day..

Thanks in advance

Please dont rely on this service to get you anywhere when you have a deadline,it can quite often not run or run horrendously late. When I phoned up about it they said that there are a shortage of drivers in the area to provide the service - which is fair enough but there is no way to communicate this to you when you're stood in the rain and the howling Balbriggan wind

schmel22 wrote: »
    Please dont rely on this service to get you anywhere when you have a deadline,it can quite often not run or run horrendously late. When I phoned up about it they said that there are a shortage of drivers in the area to provide the service - which is fair enough but there is no way to communicate this to you when you're stood in the rain and the howling Balbriggan wind

Has this service improved since the last time you commented on it?

I will be relying on the bus to get to the station for the next couple of weeks.

Do anybody here use it?

• Advertisement

It defo has but the 1st few in the morning can be dodgey on timings. 6.50 through to about 7.20am I find are sometimes late(more often than not) I get it at Castle Mill shopping centre. In the morning I tend to walk,if the bus isn't there at the specified time.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Walking from CastleMill give yourself twenty five minutes and you'll be fine.

If you are worried you could call bracken cabs, it's 6 euro around the town so it may add up if you have to use them a fair bit.

Gillo wrote: »
    Walking from CastleMill give yourself twenty five minutes and you'll be fine.

If you are worried you could call bracken cabs, it's 6 euro around the town so it may add up if you have to use them a fair bit.

I walked this morning and it took around 25mins to get to the station.. For some reason I though it took longer, probably as I have never walked it!

Feck the bus, I'll just walk it in future, unless it's raining!

Thanks for all your replies!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

buy a bicycle!

Pah! getting a bus around balbriggan is silly and a waste of money.

Back in my day....... etc etc

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

schmel22 wrote: »
    It defo has but the 1st few in the morning can be dodgey on timings. 6.50 through to about 7.20am I find are sometimes late(more often than not) I get it at Castle Mill shopping centre. In the morning I tend to walk,if the bus isn't there at the specified time.

Hope this helps

It should be more reliable now that the main street is (partially) re-opened, when it was closed and the bus diverted through the harbour it was difficult to keep time in light traffic and practically impossible with any hold-ups.

You are right about the early morning runs being the worst, there is a midi-bus allocated to the service and it is not the most reliable bus around, if it will not start or requires attention in the garage it can be difficult for the driver to get out to Balbriggan in time for the first runs. If the midi-bus is unavailable then the only replacements available are full-size coaches which are a tight squeeze around some of the turns, particulaly the terminus by the station. It is a semi-regular event for the bus to get to the station entrance only to be blocked from turning by badly and illegally parked cars.

There are also two scheduled gaps in the service for driver breaks between 09.40 -10.40 and 15.40-16.40.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It should be more reliable now that the main street is (partially) re-opened, when it was closed and the bus diverted through the harbour it was difficult to keep time in light traffic and practically impossible with any hold-ups.

You are right about the early morning runs being the worst, there is a midi-bus allocated to the service and it is not the most reliable bus around, if it will not start or requires attention in the garage it can be difficult for the driver to get out to Balbriggan in time for the first runs. If the midi-bus is unavailable then the only replacements available are full-size coaches which are a tight squeeze around some of the turns, particulaly the terminus by the station. It is a semi-regular event for the bus to get to the station entrance only to be blocked from turning by badly and illegally parked cars.

There are also two scheduled gaps in the service for driver breaks between 09.40 -10.40 and 15.40-16.40.

Hey thanks for info on driver breaks - had no idea!!! I don't think many do to be honest. I totally agree the road by the station is a NIGHTMARE and don't forget the crazy jay walkers!!

Services has been a lot better of late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mccarti4

I'm moving to Balbriggan this weekend and would like to use this service in the mornings. Has the early morning reliability got any better? What does it cost now?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

I sometimes get it when it is raining. It was €1.15 about three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Morphéus wrote: »
    buy a bicycle!

Pah! getting a bus around balbriggan is silly and a waste of money.

Back in my day....... etc etc

:D
    Balbriggan was half the size it is now?? Mine too!! :)

Advertisement