Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Declare War on er Lidl and Aldi

Options
  • 25-07-2008 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Good to see that a bit of competition is spuring on one of the big chains with a value range, of course we've been here before with the derided Yellow Pack range which apparently we were all 'too good for' back when we were poor.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/0725/1216917535029.html

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How is this going to be different from the Tesco Value range (the blue, white and red) or are they just rebranding it in a flame of publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It's ' spin ' I am afraid.... but of course it's welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Not neccesarily just spin, apparently it's not just a rebrand but a repricing exercise too according to the article in the business section of the times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I find Aldi and Lidl foods to be superior to similar priced products in Tesco & al. Hopefully the general public will continue to shop at the discounters for were it not for them, we'd be paying even more for groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

snubbleste wrote: »
    I find Aldi and Lidl foods to be superior to similar priced products in Tesco & al. Hopefully the general public will continue to shop at the discounters for were it not for them, we'd be paying even more for groceries.

I agree Snubbleste, Tesco have reduced product prices before but the quality is very inferior to the likes of Aldi for the same price. Tesco's value range of ready meals is nearly all sauce with only a couple of small pieces of meat where aldi's always has quite a generous portion.

Aldi's toilet tissue 9 pack is quite good quality whereas Tesco's equivalent is quite flimsy.

Maybe Tesco has a giant new product range but if as others have said they're just going to put together their 'value range', they're not even at the races.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

nicelives wrote: »
    Aldi's toilet tissue 9 pack is quite good quality whereas Tesco's equivalent is quite flimsy.

Sounds like you've had a bad experience :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The article on the Irish Indepent site also states that 2000 product prices are being cut to reflect the disparity between Euro and Sterling prices at present, so it is hardly just spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Instead of having a price war between these companies why dosn't the management of these outlets just declare a real war, I.E employees and staff arm themselves with rotten eggs, flower, bottles, and what ever else they can find and battle it out between themselves, We just sit back and enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Instead of having a price war between these companies why dosn't the management of these outlets just declare a real war, I.E employees and staff arm themselves with rotten eggs, flower, bottles, and what ever else they can find and battle it out between themselves, We just sit back and enjoy :D

IMagine coming out with your out of date tesco value eggs battling Aldi cheap cider over the head, dramatic results i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

this is just more advertising waffle from tesco's as they are losing massively to lidl and aldi because people are trying the cheaper products of lidl and aldi and realising the huge difference in quality compared to similarly priced tesco items!

tesco value beans are like little fossilised rat droppings while you pay a few cent more in aldi for beans comparable in quality to heinz or other quality brands and these differences are across the whole range of products!

as for tesco and others cutting prices to reflect the disparity with sterling well they have had ample opportunity in the last 30 years to do this but have not showing they will do nothing unless it makes them a lot more than it makes us consumers! it is just more spin!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »

tesco value beans are like little fossilised rat droppings

How do you know ? Pics or it's not true ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

parsi wrote: »
    How do you know ? Pics or it's not true ! ;)

you are right and i did not mean to suggest they make their value beans from fossillised rat turds but that is what they taste like - little hard pellets in a very watery sauce while the aldi or lidl beans costing a few cent more are very edible especially on toast!:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I find Aldi and Lidl foods to be superior to similar priced products in Tesco & al.

Same here... Remember the days when I used to buy the Value cheese n tomato pizza... Was pointless cause u needed to buy cheese to put on it as they put bugger all on it. The lemonade was like sparkling water(only cheaper) and the Vodka, well... It was good for bleaching stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tesco own brand food is revolting, even ALDI food tastes nicer, costs less and they actually know how to keep their shelves stocked!

Their 'new promotion range' is live on their site and the main image in their offers of the week slot is Tesco Premium 80 Tea Bags for €1.39
    These teabags are normally €1.39!

They are just listing the normal goods they sell and saying they cost the same in Tesco as in Aldi & Lidl.

So far, very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Their 'new promotion range' is live on their site and the main image in their offers of the week slot is Tesco Premium 80 Tea Bags for €1.39
    These teabags are normally €1.39!

They are just listing the normal goods they sell and saying they cost the same in Tesco as in Aldi & Lidl.

So far, very disappointing.
    I don't understand how anyone could cheap scate on a brew, Its either Lyons or Barrys or else nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    as for tesco and others cutting prices to reflect the disparity with sterling well they have had ample opportunity in the last 30 years to do this but have not showing they will do nothing unless it makes them a lot more than it makes us consumers! it is just more spin!

Tesco only opened in ROI around 12 years ago and strerling was fairly strong during this period.

The sterling difference is due to the fact that £1 sterling is actually worth more than €1 in the international currency market.

You, and a lot of others, seem to think that if an item is marked as £1 it should be sold for €1, which is madness.

Aldi and Lidl are able to offer cheaper food as they buy unknown brands and save money by spending as little as possible on their shops. Their shops are horrible, grubby places, whereas, Tesco stores are ,usually, clean and a pleasure to shop at. Aldi and Lidl are also not exposed to foreign currency risk as they buy and sell their goods in the same currency , the Euro, and remit the profits to their parent in the Euro as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Working in tesco myself, and I have to say that I am impressed, with the roll out of the plan. And it is as I though, the customers will still shop where ever.

The only difference I see between aldi/lidl & tesco is the fact, that tesco actully give a phek about the condition of there shops. They are clean and tidy, and I would say the checkouts would be quick.

Lidls stores are like warzones in the afternoons from what I have seen, panagrams don't seem to matter in these stores either, little selection compared to dunnes/tesco, lighting is very poor. And a lack of atmosphere compared to tesco/dunnes.

As for the value range comments/lidls range of products. All I can say is you get what you pay for. Don't expect something that is 20c too be any where near the 1.20c in terms of quality.

As for selves not been packed in tesco, ask someone too get it for you, or go too another store, where the selves are packed.

I think people need to understand too that there are bigger running costs with tesco than aldi/lidl.

At the end of the day, Your not doing our Ireland favors shopping in company's which bank accounts resite outside Ireland.

And too finish up, you get what you pay for. Getting quality products for that little bit extra, is not really going to hurt your pocket when we are talking in cents.

Was also reading that the goverment want another supermarket to open up shop in Ireland, which I think is madness.

jahalpin wrote: »
    Tesco only opened in ROI around 12 years ago and strerling was fairly strong during this period.

The sterling difference is due to the fact that £1 sterling is actually worth more than €1 in the international currency market. You, and a lot of others, seem to think that if an item is marked as £1 it should be sold for €1, which is madness.

July 2007 €1= £1.50
    July 2008 €1= £1.26
    Considering we import a substanial number of grocery products from the UK, prices have not come down to reflect this significant currency movement.
    Aldi and Lidl are able to offer cheaper food as they buy unknown brands and save money by spending as little as possible on their shops. Their shops are horrible, grubby places, whereas, Tesco stores are ,usually, clean and a pleasure to shop at. Aldi and Lidl are also not exposed to foreign currency risk as they buy and sell their goods in the same currency , the Euro, and remit the profits to their parent in the Euro as well.

They are bringing new brands to the market that consumers have tried and adopted. Their shops are clean, cheerful, music-free, but most importantly they have a superior quality product at an equal or lesser price than the competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

The sterling difference is due to the fact that £1 sterling is actually worth more than €1 in the international currency market.

You, and a lot of others, seem to think that if an item is marked as £1 it should be sold for €1, which is madness.

Aldi and Lidl are able to offer cheaper food as they buy unknown brands and save money by spending as little as possible on their shops. Their shops are horrible, grubby places, whereas, Tesco stores are ,usually, clean and a pleasure to shop at. Aldi and Lidl are also not exposed to foreign currency risk as they buy and sell their goods in the same currency , the Euro, and remit the profits to their parent in the Euro as well

Eh, I think if you check the price tags that various places have where prices are quoted in Euro and Sterling, I think you'll see what people are talking about. Generally, is 1.5 or more Euro against sterling, while the market has been offering closer to 1.25-130 for some time now. You'll often see items priced at £4 sterling and 6 euros or more on the same tag - that's simply ripping people off.

As regards Tesco's exposure to currency, what about the local produce here?. At the end of the day, I couldn't give a rats about Tescos currency exposure, I'm more concerned about my own. Further, if it was really a problem, then they'd hedge their currency exposure. They surely haven't had any problem in charging more euros for the same products than the UK for some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

msg11 wrote: »
    Working in tesco myself, and I have to say that I am impressed, with the roll out of the plan. And it is as I though, the customers will still shop where ever.

The only difference I see between aldi/lidl & tesco is the fact, that tesco actully give a phek about the condition of there shops. They are clean and tidy, and I would say the checkouts would be quick.

Lidls stores are like warzones in the afternoons from what I have seen, panagrams don't seem to matter in these stores either, little selection compared to dunnes/tesco, lighting is very poor. And a lack of atmosphere compared to tesco/dunnes.

As for the value range comments/lidls range of products. All I can say is you get what you pay for. Don't expect something that is 20c too be any where near the 1.20c in terms of quality.

As for selves not been packed in tesco, ask someone too get it for you, or go too another store, where the selves are packed.

I think people need to understand too that there are bigger running costs with tesco than aldi/lidl.

At the end of the day, Your not doing our Ireland favors shopping in company's which bank accounts resite outside Ireland.

And too finish up, you get what you pay for. Getting quality products for that little bit extra, is not really going to hurt your pocket when we are talking in cents.

Was also reading that the goverment want another supermarket to open up shop in Ireland, which I think is madness.

The tale of two shops, Both Roxobro Limerick.
    Aldi, New Clean, Well stocked, Fresh Produce, Cheap, Pleasant Staff
    Tesco, Old, Dirty, Out of date stock, Lack of Stock, Rotten Veg section, Unintrested Staff, Expensive.

I don't shop to listen to music or to spend my Saturday afternoon In/Out get it done shop for the week, Its not our fault the Tesco have higher running costs, and the quality of Aldi product are superior to Tesco and all that few extra cents that you mention :mad: Full weeks shopping in Aldi approx €120 Full weeks Shopping in Tesco €170 thats €2500 a year that I would rather have in my pocket.

Adli = Germany
    Tesco = England.
    I know where I would rather shop

lighting is very poor. And a lack of atmosphere compared to tesco/dunnes.

I'm personally bothered by lighting effects or atmosphere when buying my groceries.

Which I suppose when you have additional lighting and piped music the punter should be expected to pay for this?. People are clearly realising this and moving to where they can get better value for their money.

Last I checked, Tesco were a UK Company operating in Ireland, and are listed on the London Stock exchange.

Yes, competition is bad for the comsumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm personally bothered by lighting effects or atmosphere when buying my groceries.

Which I suppose when you have additional lighting and piped music the punter should be expected to pay for this?. People are clearly realising this and moving to where they can get better value for their money.

Last I checked, Tesco were a UK Company operating in Ireland, and are listed on the London Stock exchange.

Yes, competition is bad for the comsumer.

It is bad if the market is flooded with companys, its bad news for employees of these settled companys.

Hear, I think a few people here are getting the idea, i'm telling you too go to tesco or something. I couldn't give a **** where ye shop. Above is my personal option, I feel tesco do more for there customer. I oddly notice you don't seem to care either about layouts or having some sort of format.

Yeah, and I know where I rather shop, dunnes.

Lets face it tesco is there when ever you need it, and usually has everything under one roof.

Also, them few cents keep your body in check so remember that. Personally I pay for real food, that keeps me in check, is full of good stuff and less of the bad fats or beef up too the nines with water and additives.

Musha, 2500 euro?? I think your over dramatising that totally, you could save more money if you wanted by growing your own stuff too, plus its organic.

Working in tesco myself,

Perhaps it's this bit here that makes me think your opinions are slightly biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Really? Do they? Clearly you haven't frequented the Tesco's in sligo then

Indeed, because lighting and ambience is the reall clincher for me when deciding where to shop

Quoted for Truth. Indeed you do. Hmmm, chicken in Tesco's vs chicken in Lidl.... Obviously the more expensive one in Tesco's is of superior quality because..... its erm.... A chicken! oh no wait..... its of lesser quality...(It's a chicken) oh wait.... its erm.... umm.... made from.... (chicken?) FFS its all the same. Sure there is some stuff in Lidl I wouldn't touch, but same goes for every shop everywhere.

Perfect logic, when there's only one Tesco's within a 35 (ish) mile radius
    That's Tesco's problem, not the consumers

So putting spending extra money unnecessarily to line the bank accounts of local people as opposed to sending profits to international people who have cheaper products is ok? hmmm, can't really see how that benefits me...
    Indeed, but the better quality products are not always in Tesco's and are not always more expensive than the cheaper ones.

Why, so we may benefit from a more competetive market? Tell you what, lets bring back the Grocery order.

Sorry, but I really can imagine sayin to the missus 'I think we'll shop in tescos today because of their ample lighting and subtle tones along with their upbeat and cheerfuk music. Also their effective use of clever marketing in the layout means that we might buy something that we don't need. Yes it costs more than Lidl or Aldi, and we may not have to stand at a checkout a little longer but I think its really worth it for a pleasurable experience that can be achieved by shopping in these establishments.' - Yeah, as if.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

A couple of points here some which amuse me some which worry me,

1. a poster made the point that aldi beans are edible :) not that they are nice but edible.

2. the shelves in aldi are stacked, they dont have shelves just spaces where pallets go

3. the staff are nice --- what staff?

the worrying thing is how people cant see that a business that employs very few people and imports all of their products and repatriates all of their profits can be good for the country in the long run.

Shelflife wrote: »
    2. the shelves in aldi are stacked, they dont have shelves just spaces where pallets go

Your point, caller?. What difference would that make (if it were true)?.
    the worrying thing is how people cant see that a business that employs very few people and imports all of their products and repatriates all of their profits can be good for the country in the long run.

Eh, last I checked, Tesco repatriate all their profits to the UK, and pay them as a dividend, in Sterling.

If people are spending less on their groceries and getting perhaps - shock horror- value for money - then they're likely to spend the difference elsewhere, or paying the difference in the increased interest rate on their mortgage.
    Prices are rising for pretty much everything - food, Oil, Gas, Petrol, and increasing interest rates are meaning people have to pay higher mortgage payments.

Perhaps people should still shop in Tesco, and perhaps allow the banks to foreclose?.

Unfortunately people in this country seem to have lost the value of money - the Economic boom means that we spent more and did not care what we paid for, and scorned Mary Harney (who I've little time for) when she said people should shop around, yet whined while getting ripped off.

Now people are shopping round, and Tesco seem to be reacting to this.

How can it be a bad thing, when there's now competition, and a basket of the same products, all own brand are 50% cheaper in Lidl's than in either Dunnes or Tesco?.

Shame we're only now waking up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I see lots of Irish products in Aldi and a just reminder that Tesco also isn't an Irish company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I feel all awkward in the lidl queue cos there is no distracting music...so I'll shop at Tescos then.

NOT

Sod the ambience, Lidl (and I presume Aldi) shops are all look the same, everything in them is the same and cheaper than the rest.
    Well I doubt anything is one-fifth/one sixth the price so thats a loaded point all I know is that Bixies cos 4 euro for a 72 pack they are exactly the same as Weetabix, the same number of which will cost about 6.50 I think. Ditto many other lines such as baked beans, all fruit and veg, sausages, burgers, buscuits etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/lidl.jpg

True they could open more checkouts sometimes but that is true of most supermarkets.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

kahless
    im not defending tesco as they are parasites too, there are very few irish products in aldi their meat comes from the north as does their milk.

Advertisement