Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Declare War on er Lidl and Aldi

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shelflife wrote: »
    the worrying thing is how people cant see that a business that employs very few people and imports all of their products and repatriates all of their profits can be good for the country in the long run.

That's precisely why I don't shop in Tesco :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kahless
    im not defending tesco as they are parasites too, there are very few irish products in aldi their meat comes from the north as does their milk.

Again tesco is little better,plus they don't pay irish farmers enough.Can we just agree that supermarkets suck balls pls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jahalpin wrote: »
    Tesco only opened in ROI around 12 years ago and strerling was fairly strong during this period.

The sterling difference is due to the fact that £1 sterling is actually worth more than €1 in the international currency market.

You, and a lot of others, seem to think that if an item is marked as £1 it should be sold for €1, which is madness.

Aldi and Lidl are able to offer cheaper food as they buy unknown brands and save money by spending as little as possible on their shops. Their shops are horrible, grubby places, whereas, Tesco stores are ,usually, clean and a pleasure to shop at. Aldi and Lidl are also not exposed to foreign currency risk as they buy and sell their goods in the same currency , the Euro, and remit the profits to their parent in the Euro as well

when have i said anyone should get €1 for £1??
    i have said as others have that english chain stores have for as long as they have been in ireland been adding a premium to their sterling prices when exchange rates are considered. so if something should be say €50 these stores have been adding what you might call a "pale" tax of anything up to 25% and sometimes more so the thick paddys will have to pay €75 or more.

i have never been in any aldi or lidl store which was anything except what i would call medically clean! i do not know how or where you are getting the idea they are grubby? i have been in plenty of the busier tesco's where you would expect high standards only to find the floor a death trap and filthy as nobody wants to work the mop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I think its a given that the staff in Lidl are not the nicest people in the world. but really, who cares? I don't and I'm certainly not going to be shopping somewhere else because a checkout lady (or guy) doesn't have a smile or make small talk. As for Cleanliness. I have yet to see when Tesco's in Sligo looks Cleaner than Lidl. Its feckin spotless......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Really? Do they? Clearly you haven't frequented the Tesco's in sligo then

Well then take it up with the management of the store, people shop people, make a mess, its life. If you want to go a tidy store to shop in, I suggest you go too any store in the morning time. But that's up too you.

Indeed, because lighting and ambience is the reall clincher for me when deciding where to shop

Well that's you personal option it, my personal option is I rather shop in any shop that is not like a sweat box, and looks like something from the thrid world. I rather not have to stack the shelfs in lidl/aldi for them and do them favors by taking there cardboard home. Some space at the end of the till, q's not up the isles. If I want one thing in tesco, bottle of coke. Its two mins at the self scan then your out.

If you don't buy anything in tesco/dunnes, you don't have to walk threw the tills to get out. In lidl/aldi you do.

Quoted for Truth. Indeed you do. Hmmm, chicken in Tesco's vs chicken in Lidl.... Obviously the more expensive one in Tesco's is of superior quality because..... its erm.... A chicken! oh no wait..... its of lesser quality...(It's a chicken) oh wait.... its erm.... umm.... made from.... (chicken?) FFS its all the same. Sure there is some stuff in Lidl I wouldn't touch, but same goes for every shop everywhere.

I think you find that any type of chicken/beef that is "value" is just pumped up with water. I totally disagree, as far as I am aware there is differences in the prices for a reason. But then again that's your option v's mine. I also doubt every single store in Ireland all get the exact same chicken for each and every store.

Perfect logic, when there's only one Tesco's within a 35 (ish) mile radius

As I said, up too you but morning time would be your best bet in any store.

That's Tesco's problem, not the consumers

True it is Tesco's problem, but consumers don't get why prices in any company are so high.

So putting spending extra money unnecessarily to line the bank accounts of local people as opposed to sending profits to international people who have cheaper products is ok? hmmm, can't really see how that benefits me...

Not directly, but it will better the Irish economy, also that's a terrible selfish attitude to have towards your own Irish people.

Why, so we may benefit from a more competetive market? Tell you what, lets bring back the Grocery order.

Sorry, but I really can imagine sayin to the missus 'I think we'll shop in tescos today because of their ample lighting and subtle tones along with their upbeat and cheerfuk music. Also their effective use of clever marketing in the layout means that we might buy something that we don't need. Yes it costs more than Lidl or Aldi, and we may not have to stand at a checkout a little longer but I think its really worth it for a pleasurable experience that can be achieved by shopping in these establishments.' - Yeah, as if.

Also, I am not telling anyone too shop in Tesco, shop where you want.

I think its just typical for the Irish people that if the stuff as free, we still would not be happy.

• Advertisement

Again tesco is little better,plus they don't pay irish farmers enough.Can we just agree that supermarkets suck balls pls?

How would that be, last I was told in a newspaper that Tesco is one of the biggest customers for fresh fruit and veg in Ireland. Dunno if its the same for the meat.

I terrible agree that they do suck balls. But I get pissed off at the fact that people expect things for nothing, its this type of attitude that has companys closing shop all over the island. And for what a holiday to spain to better there economy, or some other crap.

And another thing that gets too me is people turning there backs on companys that do alot for there customer and try there best taking into account there operating cost and still give out a price to match.

And what about the chairtys & school that benifit from people shopping in the bigger stores and the staff they employee ? Ah sure the customer doesn't care.

And have you asked yourself yet, if aldi/lidl get there products for dirt cheap have phek all running costs, would you not consider there prices over priced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

A money saving site I visit regularly Martins Money Saving Tips makes the following claim by dropping down one brand e.g. premium to normal, or normal to own brand you can save one-third of your spend in a supermarket.

Of course you might not like the drop on a particular product but you won't know until you find out.

At the moment I've worked my way through ten different products that I buy on a regular basis and have decided to change in eight of them

Kevin.

ps first post and glad to be aboard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

msg11 wrote: »
    How would that be, last I was told in a newspaper that Tesco is one of the biggest customers for fresh fruit and veg in Ireland. Dunno if its the same for the meat.

I terrible agree that they do suck balls. But I get pissed off at the fact that people expect things for nothing, its this type of attitude that has companys closing shop all over the island. And for what a holiday to spain to better there economy, or some other crap.

And another thing that gets too me is people turning there backs on companys that do alot for there customer and try there best taking into account there operating cost and still give out a price to match.

And what about the chairtys & school that benifit from people shopping in the bigger stores and the staff they employee ? Ah sure the customer doesn't care.

And have you asked yourself yet, if aldi/lidl get there products for dirt cheap have phek all running costs, would you not consider there prices over priced ?

Can I echo the cause that has been outlined about. I think we all should support those companies who have been systematically overcharging irish consumers for years. THose companies who refuse to break down how much profit they make in the irish market, and those companies who have been reluctant to change their prices in line with currency changes. I think they all are great, and we will miss being ripped off in the future. Mark my words. WE dont know now how lucky we were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I hope people continue to shop in Aldi and Lidl as if it wasnt for them we would be all still paying top dollar for everything under the cosy cartell that is Tesco,Dunnes and Superquinn.Tesco own brand food is revolting and i know dogs that would turn there noses up to it....Rats even

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jahalpin wrote: »
    The sterling difference is due to the fact that £1 sterling is actually worth more than €1 in the international currency market.

You, and a lot of others, seem to think that if an item is marked as £1 it should be sold for €1, which is madness.

No, people think if an item is marked as £1 it should be sold for the going rate in the international currency market, or reasonably close to same, not at a rate 20% higher.

The only difference I see between aldi/lidl & tesco is the fact, that tesco actully give a phek about the condition of there shops. They are clean and tidy, and I would say the checkouts would be quick.

Lidls stores are like warzones in the afternoons from what I have seen, panagrams don't seem to matter in these stores either, little selection compared to dunnes/tesco, lighting is very poor. And a lack of atmosphere compared to tesco/dunnes.

Try Tesco Clarehall some evening, I went there once and won't be going back. Trolleys and pallets all over the place, food past it's date on special offer, place was a kip. Recently went to the nearest Lidl, neat, tidy, well layed out, and saved €50.
    3. the staff are nice --- what staff?
    The staff who work there.
    the worrying thing is how people cant see that a business that employs very few people and imports all of their products and repatriates all of their profits can be good for the country in the long run.

And Tesco don't?
    At the end of the day, the company is there to make a profit.

Why should the customer care? If the customer wants to donate money to charities or schools, great. It shouldn't be part of their weekly shop.

If I can get the same or better quality food for 20% less than I pay elsewhere, why should I care?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I think its a given that the staff in Lidl are not the nicest people in the world. but really, who cares? I don't and I'm certainly not going to be shopping somewhere else because a checkout lady (or guy) doesn't have a smile or make small talk. As for Cleanliness. I have yet to see when Tesco's in Sligo looks Cleaner than Lidl. Its feckin spotless......

Excellent post and i couldnt agree more.Superquinn rattle on about the "customer service" they have but so the hell what.I go into a supermarket to buy food and at the lowest posible price thank you very much,couldnt care less if the people who work there smile at me at the checkout and such.Fact is as a family we save 70-80 euro a week on food bills by shopping in Lidl and nothing Tesco or Superquin etc.. do will change that unless they match the prices of Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

As for the value range comments/lidls range of products. All I can say is you get what you pay for. Don't expect something that is 20c too be any where near the 1.20c in terms of quality.

That's not necessarily true. In Germany for example, and I presume it's the same in Ireland, much of Aldi's and Lidl's products are just rebranded surplus brand products. So for example Heinz could produce 100 tons of baked beans, but could only sell 80 tons as Heinz baked beans, so the remaining 20 tons would be sold to Lidl or ALDI, who can then sell them as their own. Same beans, just to a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Pretty much in all cases of buying content from Lidl (no nearby aldi) I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality. (I tend to buy meat from butchers regardless, so cant compare on that) I know there was a large thread on here before about what is good in the discount shops, but I would have very few complaints.

Tesco own brand is only good for its consistency accross all its products. To my pallette, it is uniformally sheite and cheap tasting. I cant think of one exception (their cereal bars arent awful at a push)

City centre lidls, and apparently aldis, are very busy and a little clausterphobic but for the main part, throughout country towns, lidls are every bit as clean as tescos and in my experience, better stocked.

In my experience, Tesco management seem to care less than other retailers about the state of their shops. Just my personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The checkout staff are perfectly polite down here (maybe rudenmess is a Dublin thing ;) ) the shops are brightly lit and clean, the parking is free and plentyful. Seriously to not shop at Lidl would be an act of wilful stupidity. I just wish I'd cottened on far sooner.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mike65 wrote: »
    The checkout staff are perfectly polite down here (maybe rudenmess is a Dublin thing ;) ) the shops are brightly lit and clean, the parking is free and plentyful. Seriously to not shop at Lidl would be an act of wilful stupidity. I just wish I'd cottened on far sooner.

Mike.

Why? are polish outside of Dublin more pleasant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe they are, I always get a smile and a "hello/hi" as does everyone else.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A couple of points here some which amuse me some which worry me,

1. a poster made the point that aldi beans are edible :) not that they are nice but edible.

2. the shelves in aldi are stacked, they dont have shelves just spaces where pallets go

3. the staff are nice --- what staff?

less staff means more profits and more security for employees! and all aldi and lidl stores have shelves for smaller items and i find their fridges and freezers far easier to handle as they are not designed to be marketing tools! also it takes only a fraction of the time to navigate the checkouts ion lidl or aldi as you dont have bag packers smashing and breaking up your groceries and the staff operate at high speed to get you out of the shop quickly with your kids so ye can all relax again in the huge free carpark!
    kahless
    im not defending tesco as they are parasites too, there are very few irish products in aldi their meat comes from the north as does their milk.
    have you not heard ireland is an island now with 32 counties! the war is over!
    i think the staff in lidl in carlow are great always smiling and say hello as they see me every week and remember me!
    mike65 wrote: »

Mike.
    +1
    ntlbell wrote: »
    Why? are polish outside of Dublin more pleasant?
    this is a particularly nasty comment imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

:confused:I thought tesco was good value

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Munya wrote: »
    :confused:I thought tesco was good value

Compared to what? It still scares me every time I go into the place when I'm back in Ireland what people are prepared to pay for the most basic of items in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Lol, Tesco and Dunnes are now playing god-awful free music to avoid paying the licensing fees. (Not all of them, but a good proportion)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

foggy_lad wrote: »
    this is a particularly nasty comment imo

I wasn't making a comment, I was asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Aldi are opening in my town (Cobh) in the next month or so , so I decided to try out some of their products from their shop in Midleton where I usually do most of my shopping , I was really surprised at first be the appearance of the place ,it was spotless , the only other Aldi I had been inside was the one in Balincollig a few years ago and that place was fairly grubby and disorganised but in fairness the place was jammed with people at the time , as for the food all I can say is that everything I have bought there so far has been eaten and enjoyed , most of the stuff I used to buy in Tesco I now buy in Aldi ,

fitz

ps I also find the staff in Lidl and Aldi very polite and helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Compared to what? It still scares me every time I go into the place when I'm back in Ireland what people are prepared to pay for the most basic of items in there.
    I found it very hard to be vegetarian in France so I guess I'm ok with what Tesco charge for the things I want.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Munya wrote: »
    I found it very hard to be vegetarian in France so I guess I'm ok with what Tesco charge for the things I want.

True enough if you go out to eat or want to stockpile soy, the whole vegetarian ethos is looked on with a mixture of suspicion and scorn. Veggies themseves are very good value though.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I've been shopping at Aldi for a good few months now and, like some others, wish I'd cottoned on to it sooner. Our one (in Limerick) is usually clean and tidy, shelves are well stocked and staff are polite. I can honestly say that almost everything I've ever bought from there has been more than ok. Their premium sausages are better than Superquinn's and their new premium rashers are the best ever - according to my other half.

As far as I'm concerned, if it saves me over €50 a week and my eating habits aren't compromised, what's the problem? Long may they continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Foggy lad you are missing the point, which is that tesco aldi lidl do not in the main support local suppliers and while we are a 32 county island the 6 counties are a separate state and therefore the money paid to suppliers leaves this state and our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

MOH the slightly tongue in cheek comment was relating to the fact that aldi/lidl employ very few people in relation to their turnover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

This is hilarious. From Tescos own site showing what prices they have.

They only beat Aldi and Lidl on Gingernuts.

http://www.tesco.ie/csavers/

I dont think they have much to be shouting about. Bye bye tesco.

Rite heres the deal, I took peoples advise here. WHICH I WILL NEVER DO AGAIN. I went up too lidl today to get some shopping, the coolock branch, place was in tatters, could not understand what a single product was only by looking at it, did not know what price was what. I did not know the RDA intake on any product, for myself anyway this is a big deal.

I continued to do the shopping, found out I needed a basket. Could not find a staff member too see if these are available, had to get a trolly.

Then at the checkout, the operator would not give me the beer, because the second person with me had no ID. She instead this was law, which I am not aware of?? I asked for a manger, he asked for state ID, I gave him a driver license to which he said was not state ID, could have sworn he told me too get the shopping and F**K off, and take it up with head office.

Also found there fresh stuff is MORE expensive that Tesco as I working in this section in Tesco. Also no bags in this section, Product quality looked good apart from the sweedes. Also found, the lack of dates on products, and could not source the Country of origin.

Then the checkouts, at leased 10 min's waiting, staff seemed too be able to skip q's for some reason?? I got my bags thrown in too my face, I could not pack the bags at the tills.

All in all I won't be shopping there again, Ruff estimate but I say tesco is cheaper and the staff don't have an attitude problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Paid a visit to Tesco to day, the place is full of loss leaders, much of the regular stuff is still the same price. Why did they have to choose a sickly shade of orange for this promotion :mad: The only reason I use Tesco is that they have an express check out and are closer to home.

Advertisement