Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Declare War on er Lidl and Aldi

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

and they are those jawbreaking tesco "value" ginger nuts. nothing special in tesco's except the high prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Why is it that a Supermarket that was here before Lidl and Aldi launches its big price saver deal and can only match their competitors and not beat them? Sorry but I can't see the incentive to go back to Tesco's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I only shop at tesco's if I absolutely have to (special stuff like cat food :rolleyes: and sushi ingredients, etc). Everything else I buy in Aldi and Lidl - so much better value-wise. Also, I don't get the comparison - Tesco value products are NOT at the same level as Aldi/Lidl products - the latter are of much better quality.

Not sure if it's the same here, but in Germany at least, most of the stuff in Aldi or Lidl is 'luxury' brand stuff simply rebranded and repackaged, but still made by the same manufacturer as the (perceived) higher quality things in other supermarkets.

Can't say that of Tesco value products.

But it's high-time Irish supermarkets cop on and provide food at reasonable prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Made the switch 2 weeks ago to ALDI for my weekly shop, had been dunnes everyweek. I will not be going back --easily saving 40 a week. Don't notice any difference in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Have bought a few food items in Tescos over this year and a few have been out of date. This has never happened at aldi or lidls.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Todays Irish Times

Lidl IS 20% Cheaper than Dunnes or Tesco

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0731/1217368684041.html
    The survey of 13 essential foodstuffs, including bread, milk, potatoes, carrots and cheese, also found remarkably similar prices between Tesco and Dunnes Stores.

This was the same both before and after Tesco began its discounting campaign at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I have to agree with farmers, it is only a matter of time before something gives. And I can see the farmers exploding soon ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Feck the large retaillers for fruit and veg. I purchase mine at local farmers markets on the Saturday mornings.

Spuds - Usually €3.99 in the Dunnes/Tescos - Usually €2.75 in my local convienience store - just €1.50 from the farmer directly.

10 small oranges €2 in the market, 7 for €2.69 in Dunnes, 7 for €2 in Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Right on, buy direct from the farmer, better stuff, fresher, cheaper.

maninasia wrote: »
    Right on, buy direct from the farmer, better stuff, fresher, cheaper.

Carlow farmers market is far from cheap! small half stone bags of potatoes cost as much as 2kg bags in the supermarkets, in fact all their produce is overpriced unless you are looking for pots of rhubarb jam or duckeggs.

• Advertisement

I see lidl fought back today !

Found it quite funny...

"Cash savers" or "Trash saver".

They then discribed how there "jam" was 50% fruit as compared to the tesco "jam" as only 35% fruit. And that the tesco "jam" that was 50% was around 10-15c dearer than there "jam".

Like ? It is not even "100%" fruit on anyone's part, really had me laughing, can't wait too see tesco's response to this. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

msg11 wrote: »

Found it quite funny...

They then discribed how there "jam" was 50% fruit as compared to the tesco "jam" as only 35% fruit. And that the tesco "jam" that was 50% was around 10-15c dearer than there "jam".

Like ? It is not even "100%" fruit on anyone's part, really had me laughing, can't wait too see tesco's response to this. :pac:

No jam is 100% fruit, if it was, it would be.... fruit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

msg11 wrote: »

Found it quite funny...

I witnessed this in person, yes it was hilarious.

bmaxi wrote: »
    No jam is 100% fruit, if it was, it would be.... fruit.:)

Simple yet true!

Next they will be "warring" over who has more fig roll in there roll ... :P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Musha wrote: »
    The tale of two shops, Both Roxobro Limerick.

Aldi, New Clean, Well stocked, Fresh Produce, Cheap, Pleasant Staff
    Tesco, Old, Dirty, Out of date stock, Lack of Stock, Rotten Veg section, Unintrested Staff, Expensive.

Lidl Pottery road Dun Laoghaire: New Clean, Well stocked, Fresh Produce, Cheap, Pleasant Staff

Dunnes stores cournelscourt:Clean, Well stocked, Fresh Producen slashing prices due to new lidl that opened up the road, Pleasent staff, open 24hours with staff

Tesco Ballybrack shopping centre, Old, Dirty, Out of date stock, Lack of Stock, Rotten Veg section, Unintrested Staff, Expensive. open 24hrs with minimal staff, and usually only self checkout

I would rather pay more and shop elsewhere then shop in tesco. 2 of the 3 closest to me are dumps. Only bloomfields shopping center is slightly cleaner then average.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Carlow farmers market is far from cheap! small half stone bags of potatoes cost as much as 2kg bags in the supermarkets, in fact all their produce is overpriced unless you are looking for pots of rhubarb jam or duckeggs.

So the market is dearer even though they charge the same for 3Kg+ spuds as the supermarkets charge for 2Kg Spuds???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Farmers markets have plenty going for them but they are more expensive. You can argue that you get more (quality-wise) for your euro. It might not be true, but its an argument that can be made. But I would never recommend someone looking to save money to shop for groceries in farmers markets. I have found that they are more at the boutique end of the market and to be frank I've always been disappointed that even without the middle man the prices charged seem to be on the high side. (in both Dublin and down teh country) Farmers groups seem to complain that the supermarkets aren't giving them a fair price, yet they seem to decide their prices from supermarket receipts. (could this be construed as a more willing attitude to rip off the consumer??). I, for one, have stopped going.

Shelflife wrote: »
    kahless
    im not defending tesco as they are parasites too, there are very few irish products in aldi their meat comes from the north as does their milk.
    Read Aldi's website, their meat comes from AIBP - Irish meat factories here in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

i stand corrected, it must be a new development as the last time i was in their store it was all from the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lidl Pottery road Dun Laoghaire: New Clean, Well stocked, Fresh Produce, Cheap, Pleasant Staff

Dunnes stores cournelscourt:Clean, Well stocked, Fresh Producen slashing prices due to new lidl that opened up the road, Pleasent staff, open 24hours with staff

Tesco Ballybrack shopping centre, Old, Dirty, Out of date stock, Lack of Stock, Rotten Veg section, Unintrested Staff, Expensive. open 24hrs with minimal staff, and usually only self checkout

I would rather pay more and shop elsewhere then shop in tesco. 2 of the 3 closest to me are dumps. Only bloomfields shopping center is slightly cleaner then average.
    I have no probs with Tesco in Dunlaoghaire Shopping Ctr, staff helpfull, place clean & know exactly where everything is kept. You will find any 24H place understaffed as higher rates would apply to anyone working there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just curious if anyone has challenged Tesco on their price promise, ie. bought a product in Lidl and walked to Tesco customer service and said that they bought the product cheaper in another store and asked for the difference in price?

header1.gif
    Cashsavers - Over 1,000 everyday products at prices that will not be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

snubbleste wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone has challenged Tesco on their price promise, ie. bought a product in Lidl and walked to Tesco customer service and said that they bought the product cheaper in another store and asked for the difference in price?

header1.gif
    Cashsavers - Over 1,000 everyday products at prices that will not be beaten.

It wouldnt be the same brand tho would it, so am sure it wouldnt be honoured!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Musha wrote: »
    The tale of two shops, Both Roxobro Limerick.
    Aldi, New Clean, Well stocked, Fresh Produce, Cheap, Pleasant Staff
    Tesco, Old, Dirty, Out of date stock, Lack of Stock, Rotten Veg section, Unintrested Staff, Expensive.

:D Lol, it's so true. That Tesco is virtually empty some times, kinda spooky. It's as if everyone's gone to the Aldi across the road, or the Lidl up the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I have no probs with Tesco in Dunlaoghaire Shopping Ctr,

Tesco H.Q. is upstairs, I think. Surly that shop is a "flagship", and does not compare to the crap that we in Tralee, and I'm sure in most other country towns, have to endure. :mad:

tesco Carlow is like a war-zone after 8pm thay are lucky people have not been seriously injured falling over all the stock and rubbish left lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

dh0661 wrote: »
    Tesco H.Q. is upstairs, I think. Surly that shop is a "flagship", and does not compare to the crap that we in Tralee, and I'm sure in most other country towns, have to endure. :mad:

Haven't been in that tesco in dun laoghaire SC in about a year but it's a dump like virtually all Tesco stores.

tesco seem to be spending a fortune on advertising paltry reductions when they should be reducing prices across the board and forget the advertising, as lower prices will speak for themselves!

when people with two or three school-going children can get a weeks shopping more than €50 cheaper in aldi or lidl there is no way they will go back to tesco for their Cheap "value" products as similar items in aldi/lidl are much better quality and often are still cheaper than the tesco rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Donkey Kong

tesco are a joke. why dont they reduce their prices properly, at end of day they are only matching lidl and aldi. f))k em they are loosing my business.

tesco are a joke. why dont they reduce their prices properly, at end of day they are only matching lidl and aldi. f))k em they are loosing my business.
    thing is they might be matching on price but not on quality! the tesco "cheap" bread is only available in small quantities and is not good for freezing and does not stay fresh for long but the same priced bread in Lidl or Aldi if great for freezing and stays good and fresh for days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

foggy_lad wrote: »
    thing is they might be matching on price but not on quality! the tesco "cheap" bread is only available in small quantities and is not good for freezing and does not stay fresh for long but the same priced bread in Lidl or Aldi if great for freezing and stays good and fresh for days

I buy Mullhall's brown & white sliced pans in my local green grocers, 2 for €1-90, not the cheapest but it's good quality imo. and perfect bread suitable for freezing, and stay fresh for days. They tell me that it's made by Pat The Baker - same bread different wrapper.

Advertisement