Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accident last eve on the canal walk..

Options
  • 25-07-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Walking the canal last night around half seven there were guards and fireman trying to rescue a girl up from the canal bank..anyone know what happened? didnt want to stand around gawping but did see the girl as i walked past,i think a kayaker had come to her assistance..
    frightening thing to see, whether she fell or not Im not here to speculate but i sincerly hope she is alright. was on my mind last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

People don't realise how dangerous the canal is. It's VERY hard to get out of, the only thing to cling on to is a chain (missing in some parts). To make things worse, while it may look shallow, the canal bed is weedy/mucky - you're feet will just sink through this and you won't be able to get out hence why it's so easy to drown

Who knows what happened her, hope she's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

JohnCleary wrote: »
    People don't realise how dangerous the canal is. It's VERY hard to get out of, the only thing to cling on to is a chain (missing in some parts). To make things worse, while it may look shallow, the canal bed is weedy/mucky - you're feet will just sink through this and you won't be able to get out hence why it's so easy to drown

The area around dominic st is lethal although it has been done up well recently. It looks shallow enough when you look into it but could be as deep as 10 ft in places. Hope the girl was ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If its the same incident, it actually happened in the main river below the Salmon Weir bridge. I've heard a couple of secondhand accounts, there seem to be conflicting stories. She apparently made her own way into the water and sat down for a few minutes, then flipped herself over and started floating downstream. Two anglers who happened to be fishing below the bridge pulled her out. One story I heard was that she kicking and screaming, the other was that she had to be resuscitated. Obviously very conflicting accounts!
    She later made allegations to the gardai that she had been pushed in by her boyfriend, but a security guard for the Arts Festival saw her enter the water and was able to tell the gardai what happened. It turns out they had a row about 3 hours beforehand. Read into that what you like...
    Whatever way it happened, she was very lucky there were people there to pull her out. The river below the bridge isn't fished that much and its seldom enough there would be guys in the water.

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    The area around dominic st is lethal although it has been done up well recently. It looks shallow enough when you look into it but could be as deep as 10 ft in places. Hope the girl was ok
    You can drown in less than 2ft of water, it's not all about the Depth really. But yeah, below Domnick Street is deadly, god knows what's at the bottom there between sharp objects/rocks etc...
    Interesting.
    It sure is
    Zzippy wrote: »
    If its the same incident, it actually happened in the main river below the Salmon Weir bridge. I've heard a couple of secondhand accounts, there seem to be conflicting stories. She apparently made her own way into the water and sat down for a few minutes, then flipped herself over and started floating downstream. Two anglers who happened to be fishing below the bridge pulled her out. One story I heard was that she kicking and screaming, the other was that she had to be resuscitated. Obviously very conflicting accounts!
    She later made allegations to the gardai that she had been pushed in by her boyfriend, but a security guard for the Arts Festival saw her enter the water and was able to tell the gardai what happened. It turns out they had a row about 3 hours beforehand. Read into that what you like...
    Whatever way it happened, she was very lucky there were people there to pull her out. The river below the bridge isn't fished that much and its seldom enough there would be guys in the water.
    People just don't appreciate the power of the water South of the Weir :( Enter the water there at the wrong tide/amount of weir gates open and you're fecked (I know you're aware of this Z but there's plenty that seem to think it's a swimming area!)

Another incident happened down the docks last night but out of respect to the person involved i'm saying nothing... timing lads, tis all about the timing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I heard conflicting reports also,the emergency services just kicked into action fair play to them.there were kayakers out and i know one of them was with her as the emergency services lowered themselves down to her. i really wish people who respect the power and danger of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

People just don't appreciate the power of the water South of the Weir :( Enter the water there at the wrong tide/amount of weir gates open and you're fecked (I know you're aware of this Z but there's plenty that seem to think it's a swimming area!)

Its very powerful alright, even with only one gate open. I wade it frequently when fishing and it can be very difficult to keep your footing. I went for a dip one time, lost my balance and went under, I was 10 yards downstream in seconds and took me another 10 yards to get my feet on the bottom again.
    Another incident happened down the docks last night but out of respect to the person involved i'm saying nothing... timing lads, tis all about the timing!

Ah go on, you can't hint and then not tell us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 belfast boy

he was my brother hes a security guard in the quays!

hes from belfast

and he also jumped from the bridge into the water to save her!

she was drunk and tryn to commit sucide!

Its very powerful alright, even with only one gate open. I wade it frequently when fishing and it can be very difficult to keep your footing. I went for a dip one time, lost my balance and went under, I was 10 yards downstream in seconds and took me another 10 yards to get my feet on the bottom again.

Ah go on, you can't hint and then not tell us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Jesus, that kills any sympathy I'd have for her. If the security guard hadn't seen it to contradict her, that could've seriously landed the boyfriend in ages of a legal nightmare with no good reason. Well no good reason besides having sh*t taste in women. The crazies are never worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Jumping in and looking for sympathy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote: »

I know of one individual who wades into the river and then starts screaming for help. Last time he attempted "suicide" the water was up to his waist.

I know of one individual who wades into the river and then starts screaming for help. Last time he attempted "suicide" the water was up to his waist.

Pr1cks like that the world could do without. Waste of police/volunteer/abulance/etc. resources that could be spending their time saving lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

DRakE wrote: »

Clearly has mental health issues. I wouldn't be too hard on the girl. Could be any one of our sisters/cousins/friends some day.

I'm glad she was saved and hopefully she can get the physiological treatment that she appears to need. Everybody deserves a second chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnthom

my brother happened to come across this forum and i feel its my duty 2 put ppl straight on the events of that evening ...... i wont go into 2 much detail as under law im not allowed to say and any1 with half a brain can appreciate that ..... i was one of 2 security guards who jumped into the river after this lady ..... she jumped in under the bridge ....... she was unconscious when we got her and yes 1 fisherman held her leg otherwise she would have floated further down stream ...... my colleague and i carried her up stream where i performed mouth 2 mouth and cpr on her, the girl responded and a life was saved ..... yes the girl may have had issues regardless it was someones daughter and i wasnt letting her die ...... how things get so twisted or eye witness accounts are so different im puzzled ........ and how we survived a 25 foot drop onto rocks and water i dont no but we did it ..... are prayers etc r with the girl and her family ........ end of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thank you Johnanthom for that, it is amazing to see how the thread started out with well wishes and got twisted as it went on..I certainly hope that should me or any of my friends of family are in trouble we would come across people like you. You should be very proud of yourself. I hope she is doing alright and receiving the help she needs. Well done JOhnathom and thanks for clarifying the story.

Where exactly did the girl enter the water? (you mention she was plucked out from under a bridge, but what bridge? (I'm guessing the Salmon Weir bridge?))

If it was south of the weir (ie. main river, not canal) then she's lucky. Had more gates been open, the chances of surviving there would be slim (also the eel nets would probably get you at the Salmon Weir bridge)

Fairplay to the security guards who went beyond their port of call to save a life. I don't know WTF it is about the Corrib but people just seem to leap into it

Advertisement