Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raggae

Options
  • 25-07-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wonder if the admin/mods could set up a seperate Raggae thread on the main music page and if so, would there be any other regular visitors to it?! I, for one, would love to see one started! Rastafariiiii!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Thought it was spelt 'Reggae'? Doesn't matter though. Yeah, a reggae thread would be good. But they have a funk thread and there isn't much going on there. Plus, theres alot of indie rich-kids on this forum, the type who say they're big fans of African/carribean music, so they seem really 'multicultural', but in actual fact listen sh1t like snow patrol.

Lee 'scratch' Perry, now theres a man- I played some for my friends in College in Limerick (nice lads, but a bit too into their Pearl Jam, nothing wrong with the 'jam mind you). To say they didn't get it was an understatement, they were practically laughing at me. I even played them 'War in the Babylon', and they still didn't understand!

Reggae is everywhere, I hear it in music all the time- but I don't think most people understand it and so don't see the importance of it in modern music.

"Oh, time will tell, think you're in heaven but you're living in hell"- you would never have thought that was a reggae lyric would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Regaae/Raggae - whatever! Me no speaka de Patois/Creole Mon! Haha! Yeah Lee P is the man alrite, I've got **** loads of his old stuff on Trojan Rcords, more of a ska kinda feel to it, its great for unwinding to, fairly intense lyrics - a trait not known by many of the aforementioned "Yeah Bob Marleys my idol loiiike" closet Robbie Williams fans! As you mentioned, its such a broad genre it is entwined in most forms of modern music in one way or another. Dillinger is a current favourite of mine, he sounds so fresh- yet completely wasted at the same time, I've heard the lad could smoke any of the old boys out of it when he first came on the Trenchtown roots scene, they embaced him immediately! There's such rich heritage and history in the origins of REGGAE (I thing this spelling seems about right!) that it really deserves to be given more respect and attenton than it recieves in this part of the world. I can't play an instument to save my life but if I'm ever lucky enough to witness some Rasta boys having a Jam, I'm instantly mesmerised by how naturally talented and at ease with their own abilities that its just a pleasure to sit and enjoy every minute of it (whilst taking a toke or 2 from their ever-present spliff rotational policies!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You post here to request forums.
    ZakAttak this is a thread, a thread and a forum are not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Morrissey (that dull boring t0sser from the smiths) said he didn't understand or like reggae- that made me love reggae even more. i hate that cvnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭dasdog

More of a Dub fan (scientist etc.) but you are correct in saying Reggae has a rich heritage. The amount of songs lifted/altered and put in to TV commercials over the years is amazing. Some great song writing notably in the 60's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement