Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!!!

Options
  • 25-07-2008 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey..

Just joined this site in the hope I may get some info. I am currently searching to buy my first home and I have found a house I really like. However the house has single glazed upvc windows. Personally I didnt have the slightese clue what that meant and didnt realy pay much attention. A friend of mine told me that single glazed windows are useless, they let out all the heat. He stated that if I bought the house I would have to upgrade to double glazed windows. However he knows almost as little about these things as I do.

I would be really grateful for any advice...particularly is what my friend said true? And is it a big deal and a lot of expense to get the windows changed?

Thanks

Brenner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

your friend is basically right... you'd be looking roughly around the 10k mark for double glazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

miles teg wrote: »
    your friend is basically right... you'd be looking roughly around the 10k mark for double glazing

Unless it's a huge house, I'd say you're well over in your estimate. I'd allow an average of €4-600 per window.

Also you dont HAVE to upgrade. There is a certain heat saving with the double glazing as opposed to single glazing. The most important thing though is that the windows don't have draughts. Generally with uPVC, you should be OK in this area. Change them at your leisure at some stage in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

Hi Brenner. We have the same problem in the home we just bought and aren't able to invest in double-glazing just yet, so we're using a few temporary solutions in the meantime, from www.GreenDIY.ie

http://greendiy.ie/wiki/projects/misc/windows?s=window
    • Window shades, blinds, or shutters can control light penetration and significantly reduce heat loss or gain through windows. Using insulating window blinds or quilts may be an appropriate way to improve old single-paned windows, when window replacement can't be justified.
    • Let sunlight in through windows during the day to warm up a room, and close curtains just before nightfall to keep the heat in. The heavier to curtain, the more effective this technique will be.
    • Make sure you don't just heat the space between the curtains and the window by installing a radiator shelf to deflect convection currents past the curtains and into the room.
    Hope that helps! Good luck in your new home!
    CG

Advertisement