Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Feral Cat

Options
  • 25-07-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

**PLEASE ONLY REPLY IF HAVE ALOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH FERALS**

There is this black & white feral cat that comes around our house one or twice a week to get fed. I wanted to get her neuteured last month after an old lady drowned her kittens but she went missing and has only started showing up again recently with a nice big belly full of kittens. She is about a month gone. I want to take her in around her last week of pregnancy, in about another four weeks. I am going to put her in our wooden shed, much less stressfull then a noisy house with six kids and a dog and much warmer then under a bush.

She is not at all tame though. When you get within a few feet she takes off, I have a way to catch her but I'm worried that it will all be too stressful and the kittens will either be born dead or she will eat them with stress, is this possible?

She also fights with my own two cats, they are, wait for it, outdoor cats :eek:, and no I can't start bringing inside as they have been outdoors all their life. I believe in keeping indoor cats indoors but they hate it so are outdoors, go crazy if kept inside.

So, I'm worried when they are born and I leave the shed door open, to stretch her legs, which I will have to do, that she will fight with my cats, run away, or try to move the kittens, is it possible she will go off and leave her kittens? Will my own cats do something to her kittens? I can supervise the kittens if she goes out for awhile against her moving them or my own going at them but can't stop her running away and not coming back.

I was told by someone else to get her an emergency spay but that isn't a possiblity as I have no money and never know when she is going to show up. I have dealt with tons of tame cats and kittens so know the basics on looking after mam & kittens.

I am, though, saving up for her to be spayed and released when they are grown up and rehomed to indoor homes only as I will tame them.

Any tips or advice from people who have dealt with feral cats & kittens and don't just think they know what to do would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I wanted to get her neuteured last month after an old lady drowned her kittens but she went missing and has only started showing up again recently with a nice big belly full of kittens.

What kind of heartless woman is she?

Secondly let nature work it's works why must you insist on getting it neutered if it isn't your cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Trap her - that's the first thing - and then ring a vet to get her in for an emergency spay.

Let's look it at from a purely financial point of view.

You don't have the money to spay her. A spay would cost in the region of €70.

But if you let the pregnancy proceed, you could be talking about an outlay of hundreds of euro.

Best case scenario, the birth goes well, momma does not reject the kittens. You will need a very high quality food for mum and kittens. Royal Canin for example, which is about €20 per 2kg.

The kittens will need to be wormed at six, eight, ten, twelve, fourteen and sixteen weeks old. Depending on the size of the litter, you might get away with one bottle of Parazole. Estimated cost - €5-€10.

The kittens cannot be rehomed any earlier than eight to nine weeks, and at that point, they need their first vaccination. Cost of bringing each kitten to a vet for first vax: approx €30 per kitten.

If you have not had any luck in finding indoor-only homes for the kittens at that point, then they need their booster vax at eleven weeks. That's another trip to the vets, and another approx. €30 per kitten. In my experience, it is a very difficult and slow process finding indoor-only homes. I have two beautiful twelve week old kittens here still waiting on indoor-only homes and they could be with me a while yet!

Now let's say the kittens are born unwell, or the mum has difficulty birthing. If you ring a vet out of hours (evenings/weekends) there's an out-of-hours fee of approx €60 plus the cost of medicines and treatment.

If the kittens develop cat flu for example, they will need a prolonged dose of antibiotics and also probably eye ointment. That'd easily be €50 in meds alone, and they'd need several trips to the vet for check ups.

If mum rejects the kittens, you'll have to hand-feed them every two hours. A carton of milk replacer is in the region of €30-€40.

Have you considered the possibility that being feral, this cat has a much higher chance of having FIV? In which case, there is every chance her kittens are also FIV positive and will therefore need indoor-only homes and a lifetime of close attention to their veterinary care. Let me tell you, it is no easy task to find the right homes for kittens with questionable FIV status. To test a cat for FIV and FeLV costs about €50.

I love cats, but personally I would trap her and spay her now. It's the humane thing to do. There's already more kittens being born in Ireland every year (an estimated 300,000) than can be placed in responsible, loving homes.

Why put the cat through all this stress, when you can spare her from it by acting now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Jakkass wrote: »

Secondly let nature work it's works why must you insist on getting it neutered if it isn't your cat?

are you crazy? she must be neutered for her sake and also the sake of other wildlife her offspring will be hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What kind of irresponsible person are you to oppose spaying of feral cats? Have you any idea of the level of predation on wildlife in this country as a result of feral cats? I don't know any animal rescue or protection group that would oppose spaying of cats or dogs before re-homing.

Not to mention the suffering of feral cats themselves, let's not forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I asked for only people who are experienced..and obviously you are not..go and educate yourself and then come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

As someone who has experience with domestic, ex-domestic and feral cats - that's not a feral cat. A feral cat is one that you glimpse out of the corner of your eye in the middle of the night, not knowing if you really did see something move. Feral cats are quiet, hidden and very wary of humans. This cat is a stray and doesn't quite trust you but isn't feral.

She's not too late to spay. You were given plenty of numbers to call to see if someone could arrange help with this, have you tried contacting them now that the cat is back?

Keeping her in a shed (with the door open) will most likely result in one of the following:

i)her moving the kittens at the first opportunity
    ii) the kittens being killed by one of your cats as you've brought a non resident cat in and left her and them to fend for themselves
    iii) the kittens being abandoned or killed by the mother because of the huge amounts of stress that you're putting her under

and that's assuming that the stress of being confined in a small shed so close to your cats (which you've said she doesn't get on with) doesn't result in such a stressful pregnancy/delivery that she miscarries or has trouble giving birth.

Taking in an ex domestic cat and keeping her while she raises her kittens is a stressful time for the first few weeks for both the person and the cat. Ideally, if you go ahead with this, you'll need a large crate or similar sized pen/cage to keep her in so that you can keep her safe and yourself safe. Just keeping her in a shed is not a good idea IMO.

She'll be driven to find somewhere safe, warm and secure to have her kittens. Away from possible threats like other cats, humans etc. She'll feel vulnerable when she's that heavily pregnant and that will make her more wary.

Thanks for that long post someone posted..lot's of really good info..but the thing is I don't have the money in my pocket right now..I have to save up to care for the kittens and get her spayed. I don't really have much choice but to let her have the kittens..I'll be able to offer a warm place, vet care and good food instead of under a bush or where they will be drowned and fed on scraps for bins..I have started to put aside money for when the little guys come along.

Ok so what you're saying is, you don't have €70 now, but you'll have the much bigger sum you will need for mum and kittens, by the time the kittens come along?

You say you're saving up. If you're saving up, why not borrow the relatively small amount of money needed to spay the cat, and then pay that back later?

Your argument makes no sense unless you're not being strictly truthful, and you actually want this cat to go ahead and have a litter of kittens.

If that's the case, then you don't have this cat's best interests at heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Maybe try contacting kittenadoption.ie Jan may have some advice for you. Good luck, that old woman must be a right evil witch to drown the poor kittens. :(

• Advertisement

Of course I have their best interests at heart..if I didn't then I wouldn't take them in...I'd prefer if she didn't have kittens..especially since they mightn't even be healthy...that's why I am leaving out really good food for the mother...you probably don't realise I'm fifteen lol...so that's why I don't have the money to do it right now and I am setting aside the money for spay and kittens..I know how to look after kittens and how they can cost alot..I found a sick kitten who had a really bad case of cat flu and most of his nose scratched off and he cost alot to fix up and now in a good home..that old woman is a cow..she said she would drown this cat too if she got her hands on her but I know she won't be able to catch her.. I'm doing jobs around the house and stuff to save up

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Maybe try contacting kittenadoption.ie Jan may have some advice for you. Good luck, that old woman must be a right evil witch to drown the poor kittens. :(

Thanks, will do, I know she is! :mad:

:rolleyes:
    hadook wrote: »
    ii) the kittens being killed by one of your cats as you've brought a non resident cat in and left her and them to fend for themselves.

And no, my cats are not left to fend for themselves, they are pet cats like everyother cat. Just because they prefer to be outside doesn't mean they are left there and forgotten about. They are all spayed, fed, and played with. What am I supposed to do, keep them locked in the house and let them be unhappy? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

:rolleyes:

And no, my cats are not left to fend for themselves, they are pet cats like everyother cat. Just because they prefer to be outside doesn't mean they are left there and forgotten about. They are all spayed, fed, and played with. What am I supposed to do, keep them locked in the house and let them be unhappy? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how well you take care of your cats. Cats are highly territorial- and will view the pregnant cat as a "stranger" to be fought off their territory. The fact that they are likely to attack the kittens is in no manner a reflection of the care you take of your cats- unfortunately its simply the way of the wild........

If you aren't able to afford to take charge of the pregnant cat- you really should try to trap her and bring her to one of the local Blue Cross Clinics. If you give them a ring on 01-416 3030 they can advise when they are in your area. Its a free service by fully qualified vets supported by the local council (and private donations) and is specifically to help people like yourself who might not be in a position to care financially for animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

U posted about this on another forum and u were gave advise, which if i recalled u totally ignored. Why are u wasting peoples time again looking for the same info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Try and borrow a humane cat trap, contact blue cross and see if they will do an emergency spay even if you have to have her spayed and re release her at least that will be one less cat having kittens. There are also rescues that will help with trap neuter return.

If after she is spayed you have somewhere safe for her to go then all well and good. If you have an empty shed then perhaps putting another temporary door on it so when you go into her you can close one door to prevent escape.

You would be better off phoning up and asking directly the people who may be able to help.

If the blue cross can do an early spay then when you do have the money you can always make a donation to them at a later date.

I am not wasting people's time..I am not looking for numbers...I am looking for tips from people who have dealt with looking after strayn cats and their kittens please...I don't have the money for an emergency spay so that is not an option..I don't want your advice if you don't know anything about feral cats and their kittens please..thank you.

By the way where exactly is the blue cross..I'm in Clare.

By the way where exactly is the blue cross..I'm in Clare.

Bluecross are based in Dublin and run a series of mobile clinics for pet owners who cannot afford to attend a regular vet (its staffed by fully qualified volunteer vets etc). I didn't know you are in Clare- sorry. They do have a few useful booklets which they happily send people free of charge- 2 of them in particular might be of interest to you- one entitled "Your adopted cat" another called "looking after kittens".

If you click on this link you can order the booklets (they're free).

I am not wasting people's time..I am not looking for numbers...I am looking for tips from people who have dealt with looking after strayn cats and their kittens please...I don't have the money for an emergency spay so that is not an option..I don't want your advice if you don't know anything about feral cats and their kittens please..thank you.

If i remember rightly last time when u asked this very same question people gave u very good advise. On how to catch the cat, lending u trap, people were going to help u pay for the spay, Im not giving u advise but other people who has had lots of experince with feral cats did, all im saying is why are u asking all this again when u were already given this advise.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that..the information booklets aren't much good to me though..I have looked after eleven (or more) kittens already ;).. Just want tips on how to deal with a feral mammy cat! Thank you though.. good info!

I wasn't given advice on looking after a semi-feral cat and her kittens though...just on trapping and spaying... I'm looking for tips off people on how to deal with her when the kittens are born.

I wasn't given advice on looking after a semi-feral cat and her kittens though...just on trapping and spaying... I'm looking for tips off people on how to deal with her when the kittens are born.

Oh right sorry. If u could get the money together would u get her spayed.

I wasn't given advice on looking after a semi-feral cat and her kittens though...just on trapping and spaying... I'm looking for tips off people on how to deal with her.

Cats, even "tame" cats, are highly territorial in nature. If you are insistent on keeping the stray and taking charge of her and her kittens- you will need somewhere to keep her away from your other cats. They will view the new cat as intruding on their territory and are quite liable to attack her and her kittens.

The big problem with the stray cat is she has probably been badly treated by humans in the past- which is why she is probably skittish around people. You can't build trust over night with any animal- its a process that takes time and effort.

You need to get a quiet secluded place for the cat where she can comfortable without the other cats annoying her. As suggested by another poster- possibly putting some sort of cat-flap on the shed might be a possibility. If you get her used to eating there- she will probably be quite happy to view it as her domain. You will have to try to figure how to exclude the other cats- so they don't attack the kittens when they are born.

Its not easy- I have seen similar happen previously where the kittens were killed (and ultimately eaten by the mother), sometimes there simply isn't a lot you can do in a situation like that- I know its hard, but its nature taking its course......

mary123 wrote: »
    Oh right sorry. If u could get the money together would u get her spayed.

It's ok..I'd have to think about it as I don't feel right doing it..I know they will cost alot when they arrived, need worming,vaccines,could be ill etc.. I feel bad taking money for people too, especially when they have their own rescues to look after and their own pets..she will be spayed though before she goes..I saw her two days ago..she comes eats, and goes.. I have ten euro put aside..whoop whoop! big start! :rolleyes: On the coming weeks I'll have more and my parents said they will help..a bit! She is only semi-feral, like I know she has never been indoors but she has started miaowing at me, which is a good sign...I try to sit with her while she is eating so she can get used to me and I'll give her loads of places to hide when in the shed..lots of dark boxes etc.

smccarrick wrote: »
    You can't build trust over night with any animal- its a process that takes time and effort.

I am making progress with her though..before she would run when she saw me..now she let's me get within a few feet of her and recently has started miaowing at me..this has taken a few months..I usually sit by her while she is eating..I'm pretty patient with animals so I understand it takes time.

It's ok..I'd have to think about it as I don't feel right doing it..I know they will cost alot when they arrived, need worming,vaccines,could be ill etc.. I feel bad taking money for people too, especially when they have their own rescues to look after and their own pets..she will be spayed though before she goes..I saw her two days ago..she comes eats, and goes.. I have ten euro put aside..whoop whoop! big start! :rolleyes: On the coming weeks I'll have more and my parents said they will help..a bit! She is only semi-feral, like I know she has never been indoors but she has started miaowing at me, which is a good sign...I try to sit with her while she is eating so she can get used to me and I'll give her loads of places to hide when in the shed..lots of dark boxes etc.

I know u mean well but if u cant afford 60-80e for the spay how are u going to afford all the rest of the money u need for the kittens and the spay u say u will get done on mummy eventually. Also who says u will be able to look after the kittens
    she could have them absolutely anywhere. How far preggars does she look? Might be to far gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mary123, I'm agreeing with you 100%.

Sounds like you have made up your mind to go ahead, and it has nothing to do with affordability of a spaying. Others have already offered to help with that and indeed most vets will drop the price considerably for spaying a stray.

I don't understand, you asked for expert advice, Hadook and others recommend you do not go ahead with housing the cat and offspring in your shed.You have already said that you would have to "save up" to afford a spaying alone which means you couldn't afford to provide for the kittens.

We went through a similar situation, a sray pregnant female in the back garden with a badly damaged eye which we had to bring to the vet. The eye was removed and we had to keep her indoors for 10 days to ensure we could get her back to get the stitches removed. We spoke with the vet about the situation. We made a concious decision to keep the cat from that day forward and to find homes for her kittens.We knew it would cost considerably, but we could afford.

We brought the mother cat indoors and gave her a secure room with a litter tray. She was not disturbed and the room was hers. We were prepared with a vet nearby, and money in the bank to pay for the vet if we needed to!! Little Polly took to that room like a duck to water and she snuggled up in the little crate we put in there for her. She is an adoreable cat, chocolate brown with some marmalade. I still have the Polly and one of the kittens, both are doing very well.
    The other kitten was wormed, flea-ed and vaxed and found a wonderful home.
    Unless you intend to provide for the cat then forget it. What do you intend to do with her after she has the kittens?? Let them all run amuk and interbreed? If you cannot afford spaying one cat, then don't make the wrong decision!! There are plenty of people out there that can help you.
    I wouldn't take on this situation without some professional advise.

Animalcrazy is very young and i really dont think it matters what advise she is giving she has got this idea in her head that she wants to mind these lovely little kittens. Not matter what she is been told about what is best she cant see past the romantic idea of looking after and babing these kittens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Have you tried contacting the Limerick Animal Welfare or Clare Animal Welfare? They might be able to help. You can also get a discount from your local ispca where they will pay half for spaying.

I have a 10 cats all spayed and neutered. Their mammy was wild and pregnant when i decided to finally try and get her spayed. I got a sedative tablet from the vet and put it in her food, this made her drowsey and it took me 2 hours to get her into the cage. She was in doors aswell.

Now she is part of the 10 cats and is tame and happy in herself. :)

Advertisement