Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Feral Cat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Well the other alternative is working out a payment plan with the vet. If it were me I would have her spayed now. Usual litter can be anything from 3 to 5 kittens but for all you know she could have 7 or 8 so please think seriously about having an early spay.

If you cannot deal with this cat then contact a rescue in your area and ask could they take the cat if you trap it. You can always donate to them later when you can afford it.

If you cannot afford a spay now how are you going to afford vaccinating and health checking etc (if you can catch them) a number of kittens as well.
    I'm afraid there is no easy way to solve the problem you are having.

If you want to be involved with animal work esp rescue animal work you will have to come to terms with some of the difficult choices you will have to make. It's never easy rescue work wether on a small or large scale isn't easy.

Not having a go just speaking from experience I have in the past from a very young age (younger than you are now) dealt with these kind of issues and it's not easy esp. if you have little money and limited transport. So do take the help offered to you and meet people half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

:rolleyes:

And no, my cats are not left to fend for themselves, they are pet cats like everyother cat. Just because they prefer to be outside doesn't mean they are left there and forgotten about. They are all spayed, fed, and played with. What am I supposed to do, keep them locked in the house and let them be unhappy? :rolleyes:

If you leave the shed door open (to let "the mother stretch her legs") then you are leaving them to fend for themselves.

In this proposed situation you are leaving your cats free outside and leaving the door to the shed in which you intend this ex domestic cat to have her kittens wide open. You are not being responsible for your actions in this situation.
    If you take in the cat, you detain the cat, you force the cat to have her kittens in a place of your choosing and then you leave the door open with your other cats wandering free.

The point that I'm making is that the cats in this situation - both your own and this stray - have no choice. You have taken it away. Once you take control you are responsible for their safety. And you can't just leave a door open - you're responsible for them until they're weaned.
    I am not wasting people's time..I am not looking for numbers...I am looking for tips from people who have dealt with looking after strayn cats and their kittens please...I don't have the money for an emergency spay so that is not an option..I don't want your advice if you don't know anything about feral cats and their kittens please..thank you.

I have dealt with stray cats and kittens. I've fostered for different rescues, I've taken in and rehomed strays, waifs and cats that no one else wants. I have a cat with no eyes - her previous owner thought it was ok to let them breed and couldn't afford the vet care. A simple case of untreated cat flu has left Lily with no eyes. I have a cat with one eye - thrown in a bin at 5 weeks by her teenage "owners". Cat flu & complications meant that I had to provide 24 hour care for the first week and Mao still lost an eye despite our best efforts. I've had FIV+ cats. I've had FeLV cats. I've had elderly cats here in respite situations. I've got ex domestic strays and true ferals living outside on my property. I've caught ringworm. I've had to think about things like worming the people in this household as a preventative measure. I've been bitten by fleas. I've been bitten by the cats too :rolleyes:

I am not a cat rescue. I am a private individual who happens to like cats and who also fosters for cat rescues. I fund all of that out of my pocket (some of the rescues I've fostered for have offered to pay the bills but I've always preferred to do it myself as my contribution to their sterling work) and I work hard to make sure that I can afford to fund any choice I make.

Now that you understand some of my credentials -I have given you advice, both here and on Irishanimals. I really cannot stress how important it is that you contact the rescue and welfare people you've been given the numbers of. You need to do the sensible thing here and have this cat neutered NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I understand totally where you are all coming from..believe me I appreciate all the advice..I'll have a chat with my parents tomorrow and see what they want to do..I'll explain all the things you said and how there might be a way to get half the spay off..they wanted me to work and do jobs around the house to pay for the care of the kittens and her spay to teach me the value of money :rolleyes:.. in the end it all boils down to them.

I wouldn't like to give her to a shelter, too noisy and upsetting for her when I can deal with her well here. If it comes down to it that she has the kittens, I wasn't just going to leave the shed door open, I was going to let her go out while I supervise and it would be the chance to handle the kittens..and no they won't run amuk and interbreed :rolleyes:..I'll only give them to indoor or at least semi-indoor homes.

Again, my cats are not left to fend for themselves, they don't want nor like to be inside, they come in for a few hours and then miaow at the door to be let out..they have been like this since we took them in and are all fed, spayed, vaccinated, and have clean, shiny coats and bright eyes..not what I call left to fend for themselves..we don't make them catch their own dinner or sleep under bushes.

I wanted to get her spayed but my parents said that you can't and no vet will do it, but I'll explain that they can and all the other advice you all gave me and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 meptastic

And as Mary has pointed out over and again, myself and another individual on another site between us offered you enough funds to get the spay done if you took up CAW's offer to have her done under their auspices, and therefore at their rescue rate. Your erratic and often offensive postings on the aforementioned site would make no difference to my offer to send that money to this vet to help that kitty.

So I am also convinced that you want these kittens born. Please get yourself out of your fluffy fairyland, and listen to Hadook's posts! She did not invent Lily and Mao!! They are living every day with the consequences of this kind of naivety, and the fact that they have excellent quality of life is a tribute to Hadook's care and dedication, and nothing else.

Hadooks do not come along every day you know, and there are only so many kitties that can fit in their homes, so there is NO replacement for prevention in cases like this. You wanted very experienced opinions, well there are few more so than Hadook, so you can trust her assessment of what is likely to happen in the scenario you are proposing.

So take the help that has been offered, get her trapped and emergency spayed, or else just stop telling us all how dedicated you are to animal welfare. Ok, you are 15, and whatever you say you are inexperienced, so please just pay some attention to the advice you asked for and stop saying how it is no use for all kinds of fabricated reasons.

Fact is, you could get her neutered now, you have been offered the means to do it on all sides. So just come out and admit you just don't want to. It is tiresome watching you close your ears to what you don't want to hear, and pretend you want the very best for her, but are oh, so helpless :confused:

ETA: ok, posted across you there, let's hope you will do it so.

Read last post
    I haven't been in the world of rescue as long as any of you, and don't automatically know what to do in every situation, I know alot more then most the people my age, ask my friends anything about animal welfare and all you'll get is this :confused: even my parents all you'll get is this :confused:..I am learning bit by bit..you have to realise that my parents are the ones who say ''don't take money from those strangers on the internet'' and ''don't ring them, they won't want to know'', ''the vet won't spay her when she is that pregnant'', ''if you want to get her spayed you'' have to earn the money yourself''.

• Advertisement

Oh, and here is a pic of her.

cats002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I've read all of this post and I have to say calm down and remember you are talking to an experienced young girl, please remember hormones and emotions play a big part at this age. I started rescuing when I was 13yrs old and like you's all I knew nothing and had to start from scratch. I work every day and hour to pay for the animals I rescue I'm already about 6k in since the start of the year, and remember the clan, if you weren't part of the rich wifes club or family or friends to those who run a lot of these groups you got no help what so ever, you couldn't even volunteer in this country at one stage if you weren't somebodies sister or cousin. So lets not hand this same road to someone who will be just like us in the future.

Animalcrazy I will help you as much as possible tomorrow as I've just had a long day and need sleep.

But to start with please do not feed her any liver whats so ever or any type of shell fish.

All dough some of those words written are harsh it's only because everyone is working so hard to keep going and get the massage across that spaying is needed, they are giving you good advise so please don't ignore it and I will try to help you soon. Just very sleepy right now.

I understand spaying is important and that these people know what they are talking about..I want to get her spayed now but I don't think my parents will let me..if not then she will be spayed after.. I'm going to try and convince my parents tomorrow though..I'm writing an essay on why she should be spayed now and things

I understand where my parents are coming from too though by making me save up..we are not a rich family..the celtic tiger seems to have passed us out lol..we are on a few different welfares and such so my parents don't have the money to dish out and won't take money or donations from strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Perhaps you should tell your parents that we're not doing this to help you or them. We do things like this for the cat and the unborn kittens (both hers and the kittens her kittens could have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

It will only cost you with the help of the ispca €30 -€35. Your parents won'y listen now but when you find yourselves with 6 or more adults cats running around the place and the neighbours complaining then you will have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

If it comes down to it that she has the kittens, I wasn't just going to leave the shed door open, I was going to let her go out while I supervise and it would be the chance to handle the kittens...

This is ridiculous- you CANNOT handle kittens unless the mother is OK with it. If she comes back to find you have been handling her kittens against her wishes she could reject them. Then you will be hand feeding them expensive formula every 2-3 hours. I have been there. It is no fun.

And as for your parents wanting the cat to have the kittens and for you to save up for the spay to "teach you the value of money"- that is ridiculous. We are talking about animal's lives here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

Animalcrazy

You need to be realistic here . You are 15 and will be going back to school in 5 weeks time. The kittens are due in a month.
    Who will mind them when you're at school?
    You have nowhere secure to keep both Mum and kittens... ie your shed is not secure enough, you also have two cats and a dog, who are all a threat to the kittens

How are you going to find indoor only homes and do homechecks. You can't drive and don't have a phone :confused:

Why are you doing this ?

Why are you not following advice given by people with oodles of experience with ferlas, why not contact a rescue that operate a TNR policy?

What are you getting from letting this cat have the kittens, 2-3 weeks of trying to look after them ( if you can find them ) , then where will they end up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I've read all of this post and I have to say calm down and remember you are talking to an experienced young girl, please remember hormones and emotions play a big part at this age.

Most of the people who have responded to the OP are aware of the above, and if there is a mood of impatience, it is because the OP already asked for advice on two other boards, and ignored the good advice given there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

At the end of the day this is not Animalcrazy cat. Is there anyone that could trap the cat and get her spayed. If not in a few weeks times we are going to get more posts looking for help with these kittens which will be ignored as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Can understand your parents being wary and they should be.
    How about giving your parents the phone numbers you have been given and have them phone perhaps give them a number you have for someone to just simply collect the cat and take it into rescue.

That would take the cat and kittens out of your way and someone else who has the money etc to have her spayed etc.

Time is getting every day there is new posts but this really could be cleared up so quickly and you are very lucky to be offered so much help. As rescues and other involved with rescue work are very busy, have limited funds and cannot always offer this kind of help. So just take it.
    Honestly this has gone on long enough going round in circles these posts while everyone is posting the cat becoming bigger and bigger.

I won't be posting on how to look after kittens..I have cared for at least 11 kittens before..most taken off the road..that's a good idea guineapigrescue..not too sure CAW will be able to help when they are turning away cats..gave their number to a woman how wanted to get rid of her neuteured male cat and she was turned away..funds must be low..will try anyway..hope my parents will ring!!..they are soo difficult :mad:

boomerang wrote: »
    Most of the people who have responded to the OP are aware of the above, and if there is a mood of impatience, it is because the OP already asked for advice on two other boards, and ignored the good advice given there also.

I do understand what you's are trying to get through to her but when I was her age I couldn't bare to think of aborting kittens. I only do it now depending on how far along the cat is or other medical reasons I'm tired of telling people to neuter and sometimes feel like I may as well bang my head against a wall. I don't know any of her other posts but sounds to me like a teenager, who wants to be involved in the world of animals she's just not old enough to work or take control of the situations.

I stopped in the middle of a main road in Wexford earlier to take a 8-9 week old kitten of it, it ran into a field and while I was searching it two teenage girls stopped and asked if the could help I informed them that it was a kitten I was looking for and they shrugged their shoulders at me and said, a sure there's loads of them around here your bound to find one and said good luck and walked on, into the farmers house, sick of hearing let nature take it's course as well.

At leased she's looking for help she may have to learn the hard way but at leasted she'll learn with help from those of us with more experience.
    I agree with neutering her now if possible or giving her to a rescue. If it's not possible then she has a lot of hard work ahead of her and will need help to get through it. Unlike the girls I met earlier we have a chance to teach the next generation.

Oh and I caught the kitten she's a real beaut. She's no.12 on the list looking for a home.

How are things going with your parents ?

I'm glad to hear you rescue kittens and good on you for doing it but taking mammy and babies under your wing may not be so easy, if anything happens mammy during the delievery taking care of new borns is a very demanding and time consumming job and lots can go wrong even old hands at this will tell you it isnt always plain sailing. If she is going to stay with you and have the kittens I'll help you to do so but I still think you need to try and get her to a rescue.

Your education should come first and sleepless nights wont help I wish I could turn back the clock and study harder to become a vet but by your age I was already working to pay the vet. Not only will you have to study up for the delievery but on hand rearing as well and to teach some one else to do it while your at school. You will see mammy again when she is neutered and released even if she has her kittens at a rescue you can ask for her to be released back at your place so you can keep an eye on her and most rescue's like to know someone is looking out for them so it shoulden't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

www.limerickanimalwelfare.com send them an email and explain your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I cannot believe I'm reading this.......again. :(

You were offered very good advice & funds from experienced people over on Irishanimals & you chose to ignore it. Mabey you will listen to the same advice here.

Ok, so now you are on here, asking for advice people who have dealt with feral cats & kittens and don't just think they know what to do.

I've trapped & neutered over 100 cats, 70 being from one colony since december. I've had pregnant cats give birth in my house that have been too far gone to spay, have had many, many kittens come in & out of my home, have been fostering young/old/healthy/decrepid cats for years, you get the drift.
    I'm dealing with abandoned cats & kittens on a daily basis. It's a constant battle to try to find spaces & money for them.
    I've seen the cruelty that people bestow on cats. Cats in bottlebanks, cats being drowned, burnt, used as footballs etc.

I must have had a fair idea of what I was doing as one of the most experienced cat people in the country asked me to take over their rescue due to ill health.

So, now you know that I know what I'm talking about, please please listen for once & for all & get the cat spayed.

300,000 kittens will be born in Ireland this year, two fifths will die within the first week of life & a third more will die before 4 months of age
    That is 180,000 kittens dying within 4 months of birth in Ireland this year alone. Please don't bring anymore into the world if it's not absolutely unavoidable.

Edited to add: If your parents want to discuss this, please don't hesitate to contact us on www.kittenadoption.org

Sorry haven't replied it has been a stressful few days. Anywho, the cat is at the vet as we speak. After all my winging and moaning at my parents they finally agreed to get her spayed. She gave such a fight I hope they can handle her at the vets. We have a cosy spot ready for her in the shed when she comes back and then she can be realeased again.

I know it was the right thing to do but I can't help having this awful guilt, I killed her kittens, I feel awful but I suppose it is something I have to get used to if I want to help in future. Well it's done now and that's that finished.

My parents are broke now for the week. I couldn't accept funds from anyone because my parents wouldn't let me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Thats great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Fair play to you and your parents.

Sending good wishes to little kitty for a speedy recovery from her op.

Hopefully it will go well, and she won't be too stressed out. Collecting her tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

A hard decisio to make but the right one. Well done for persisting - as I'm sure you know only too well, us parents can only take so much before we give in ...:)

I don't feel good about doing it though, feel sick more then anything! :(

I use to feel bad as well at first but experience has thought me that it's the right thing to do. But take heed in the fact mammy is only feeding for her self now and will look better than ever with rest and proper food. Make sure she is kept warm when you bring her home I'd bring her in doors if possible, I find most ferrells have no problem using litter trays she'll be groggy for about 48 hrs and need to be kept an eye on ask the vet when best to start feeding her. She will escape the shed first chance she gets and it's not good for her to be on her own for at leased 48 hrs. Tell your parents fair play to them and they'll get get it back ten fold in good luck for helping her. Maybe that old hag will have more respect for her when she sees her looking so good and not as a scavenging flea ridden cat.

Best of luck keep us filled in on how she's doing.Well done !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Well done to you & your parents.
    I know you feel awful right now but you've done the right thing. You should be very, very proud of yourself.:)

Well kitty is at home now, she is in a closed cardboard box with a cat size hole she can go in and out of, she has food and water with her and a litter tray close by, she had a bit of food but her appetite isn't great yet. She is just looking pretty done up at the moment and looking at me with those pitiful eyes. :(

She had three kittens in her altogether, RIP little kitties :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

animalCrazy, fair play - I don't blame you for feeling down about the whole thing, but you did the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

Great that the cat is finally Neutered!

Advertisement