Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Feral Cat

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I wanted to get her spayed for ages and have been trying for a long time, all my being in a huff with my parents finally paid off, might not have been the best method but it got the job done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Glad to hear she's doing well she won't even miss what she didn't have just give her lots of fresh water(cool boiled is better). And peace and queit to recover. She'll be right as rain in no time.Well done for looking after her so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 2cute2worry

hey i have alot of experience with feral cats,

i know how you feel wanting to have hem spayed and provide the best way of life for the mother and unborn kittens,

females can be spayed even in the early stages of pregnacy vets dont like to carry out the procedure but i have seen loads more a less been aborted,

i dont think the cat will be ever be able to be a house cat or be handled in fact, i think she is way too old i have a kitten whos mother was feral and my kitten well 2 yr old cat now is still quite feral doesnt like been handled and is constantly fighting even tho she was spayed,

if you call dspca basically dont give a **** they will say can provide you with a cage to catch it if your intrested in neutering

its not the females all toms in the area showed be castrated i know the females get pregnant but these are the biggest problem they rape females in mating season,

your feral cat after has the kittens could be in risk of getting pregnant again all in the same season,

im delighted you share the same views as me in helping and protecting cats

Well, she won't be at risk now because she is spayed lol! No, she will never be tame and will be realeased once she is healed. Thers is a male cat here too, he's not feral, he will let you pet him and stuff but would never make a house cat. He gets alot of the females here preg though so really could do with being spayed but that has to wait for another day, I had enough trouble to get this one done. I counted SCAR in Clare and they told me I would have to get people in the community to put in the money to sort out the cats in the area, how do you go up to a farmer and ask them to give money to the ''scrawny diseased vermin'' or the ''flea-ridden rats'' lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I counted SCAR in Clare and they told me I would have to get people in the community to put in the money to sort out the cats in the area, how do you go up to a farmer and ask them to give money to the ''scrawny diseased vermin'' or the ''flea-ridden rats'' lol.

From what I understand you are quite young, so probably still at school/college? Maybe there is an appropriate subject area & teacher you could approach who would be sympathetic & would allow you to make a presentation to your fellow students based on your experiences over the Summer, with a view to rasing funds to trap, neuter & release a number of cats. You would have a few weeks to prepare something to show them how serious & committed you are to this. I would hope this would be something animal welfare agencies would also support - your local SPCA, possibly Kitten Adoption? Could be a very worthwhile project.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Very good idea LisaO- and it would be a very good civic minded project for animalcrazy.
    I really shouldn't be up to one person to take on the animal problems of a neighbourhood- regardless of how much they love animals in general- its simply not feasible.

Animalcrazy- I know how much it must hurt to have had the cat speyed, but sometimes you have to do this things to take the longterm interests of the animal at heart. You did the right thing. Your next port of call will naturally be to have the male cat speyed- which will minimise the future disruptions of this nature..........

Best wishes- Shane

Thanks everyone, ya I'd love to get something like that started, the only thing is I'm quite shy so I'd die if I had to make a presentation or anything, I suppose I'll have to get over that though. Ya that male badly needs to be done but jeez that will have to wait awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Glad she's spayed it will be worth it in the end for your parents they won't have half a dozen more cats running around and the cat won't have to go through litter after litter trying to feed them all and herself. So in the long run it works for everyone.

School wise you could ask to do a collection for rescue I organised one in the local school it's so easy and you would be amazed at how much stuff you can gather if every student in the school brings in one tin of food one toy or one bag of food or litter etc the school usually organises a day that suits them and they print out a letter for the parents all you have to do is give them some wording. Perhaps for the next world animal week or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 meptastic

Well done you! So thrilled to hear you got the needful done in the face of all adversity :D I know it is hard the first few times you help late spays to happen, and knowing those were real kitten lives ended, but the more you see of how hard the overpopulation and uncontrolled breeding makes it for these cats, and how relatively very few can realistically be helped, the more you come to understand what a good thing you are doing in these cases.

Also, just to clarify, it isn't actually impossible to domesticate such cats as your mammy one, it just takes an awful lot of dedication, and often a long time: there is a severe limit to how many such cats can be given this, and your situation right now obviously makes this impossible for you and her. I know a few wonderful souls who do such work, and this may be something to aspire to in the future.

And absolutely, if you could get a few friends onside to give you courage, I think an animal education/fundraising programme in your school should be well in your reach if you are up for it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

The local primary schools in my area hold a fund raiser at the end of each term. All the kids are asked to bring in a euro or two and have a no uniform day or get something in return ie a badge or pen. Unless you have a reg. charity no. as proof you are doing this you my find it very difficult to get them to help, best bet is to get the likes of SPCA backing and use them as the treasurer holders or find out if you can reg. on a temporary basis. The laws are also tricky the one I'm raising funds for has to sell something in order to gain profit which is not taxed they can't just simple go and shack buckets for change this also entails public liability insurance which I think is in and around 1 k. If you have a community center or even a community organization for your area they my let you under there terms and conditions allow you to use their insurance which your parents may be paying into every year to hold a fund raises after all it's there community to and there responsibility to take care of the area. You could hold a sports day and get the local papers involved and then ring around local TD's and ask them to come along and show there support, their always willing to get there heads into the papers. And you could ask them to help you see if you can't get a council grant to carry out the neutering they love good press with all the bad press they get and don't forget the local radio stations either. You might get the support from a few schools then with out having to reg. I did it to raise funds for equipment for the youth club and the TD's turned up thinking the papers would be there and the papers turned up thinking the TD's would be there good thing they all showed up. Don't forget to have adult races and throw the TD's into the three legget races they'll love you for it after wards when the papers say TD's tuck full part in the day and even won the three legget races then ask them to help with the concil grant and tell them you'd love them to come along to the next event your having some times you have to play games with them but best to leave that to someone with experience who can convince anyone of any thing.

Sorry this is so long, and I stand to be corrected on the final details of all this if anyone has more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 nite11owl

Back to first page Jakkass by name Jakkass by nature.....
    Thats why there are threads like this people have a stray think it is great to feed it, then it comes back with kittens they think their cute then those kitens have kittens and then its not so cute, then its ring up and demand some one does somthing as "Their not my cats" by defualt their yours because you have feed them so they become dependant on you.....

this is aimed at Jakkass by the way... not all those with good advice etc in the post so dont give out to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cats are definitely tameable - even quite feral cats can come around. We currently have three cats, all rescues. All adopted at six months of age. We've got two more kittens coming to us in early November, after they've been neutered, wormed, vaccinated and flea-treated.

The cat we have with the most personality was born to a feral mom, captured wild and skinny at four months of age, in a shelter until six months of age. He was hardly handled up to that point. When we got him, he was petrified, so I provided him with a cardboad box and a cushion in the laundry, where the litter, food and water all were, and he hid in it for four weeks, even while the others were out and around the whole house.

He's now 21 months old. He's a constant talker and burbler. He's bright and quite intelligent. He loves cat treats, and will sit on command in exchange for a treat. He loves attention, but won't let anyone other than me and my husband touch him (and he's only warmed to hubbie in the last six months). He always wants to be around people, but he has a very long memory for misdemeanours and slights on his person.

Someone we live with tried to push him during the first few weeks after he ventured out of his cardboard box. He was sitting on a chair, and she went to pet him. He took off, but she caught hold of him and held him up, trying to get him to calm down. He went completely spaz and scratched the two wrists off her - and he still won't let her touch him.

With strays and feral cats, you HAVE to let them come to you. Soothing voice, treats, never get pushy, lots of praise, and get down to their level - sit on the floor, for instance. The first headbutt you get feels like a breakthrough. You can try an exchange programme - if the cat allows you to touch them, they get a treat, but never grab at a feral or nervous cat you're trying to tame. (Obviously this doesn't apply if you're trying to rescue them and you have to grab them!)

These days, Eric the cat is a handsome, charming devil and he was well worth all the effort that had to go into him for the first few months. He lives as a full-time indoor boy, at least until we move house in November and put a cat-proof fence around the garden. He's already returned our investment 10-fold, and hopefully he'll continue to do it for years to come. Here's a couple of pictures of him - living proof that stray and feral can come good.

Oh ya I forgot all about this thread, well to update I released her awhile back and she took off running and I haven't seen her since :rolleyes:. That's the thanks I get lol.

Advertisement