Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing kids to sailing in Dublin

• 25-07-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭

Having not sailed for about 20 years, I'm just back from crewing at Cork Week and have got the bug again. Would love to introduce the kids to sailing.

Can anyone suggest best option for getting a half-day sailing with them? Does anyone rent dinghys suitable for 2-3?

On a separate note, if I wanted to get crewing on a boat in Dun Laoghaire, whats the best way to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

homer911 wrote: »
    Having not sailed for about 20 years, I'm just back from crewing at Cork Week and have got the bug again. Would love to introduce the kids to sailing.

Can anyone suggest best option for getting a half-day sailing with them? Does anyone rent dinghys suitable for 2-3?

On a separate note, if I wanted to get crewing on a boat in Dun Laoghaire, whats the best way to go about it?

Not really sure about renting dingys in DL but there's all the clubs down there are good for learning in the summer. The INSS is fairly reasonable in price and a good place to start-also they have a junior club which sails for 3 hours on a Saturday which sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

There isnt anywhere that I know of that rents boats in DL.
    There are two sailing schools on the West Pier tho.
    Theres the INSS which provides week long courses, which cost €247. At the end, you are issued with an INSS certificate in sailing. Each week you do brings you up a level, so if you do three weeks in a row you are certified to level 3 (of their program).

Option 2 is the Irish Youth Sailing Club. This is a year round club. New members join in April, applications are taken from January.
    There is a membership fee of €285 for the year.
    The club operates all year round. In summer, they go sailing, fishing, Power boating, canoeing, camping, kite-boarding, model-boating, splashing, wind surfing, cat sailing and scuba diving.
    In winter they move indoors for fire training, first aid, water safety, navigation, boat maintenance, VHF, Presidents Award etc.
    The starting age is 10-12. It is a voulutarily run youth club, that is partly funded by the window shop at the start of the West Pier.
    All the courses in this club are ISA accredited and recognised anywhere the Irish Sailing Association is recognised worldwide
    www.iysc.net

PM me for more details on either club.

As for crewing in DL, check out the marina or the yacht clubs for people looking for crew for their boats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

homer911 wrote: »

In my experience, unless you know someone with a boat or who crews on a boat, then you're just another random name on a notice board etc. I would instead highly recommend http://www.sailingindublin.ie/

It's a fantastic way to sail throughout the year in a variety of boats. I went on to buy my own boat as a result of getting in some constant sailing with the club and they also have a great social side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭homer911

Thanks everyone for the replies Salingindublin looks really interesting for me.. will consider the courses for the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

if you want to try the other side of the bay then Sutton Dingy Club runs summercamps for kids. I can't get my two kids out of the water now!
    www.sdc.ie

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Ferris

OldGoat wrote: »
    if you want to try the other side of the bay then Sutton Dingy Club runs summercamps for kids. I can't get my two kids out of the water now!
    www.sdc.ie

SDC is great, I learned there when I was a nipper. Theres also Broadmeadows in Malahide, theres a sailing school there too and they have their own boats.

Advertisement