Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caislean na hAbhann Castletroy Limerick

• 25-07-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Im thinking about buying one of the new houses in Caislean na hAbhann Castletroy. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about these houses or about the area. I have 2 small children who go to school in Raheen area, what's the traffic like in the mornings etc. When their older is there a bus route into town etc.

As this is gona be a new area for us to move to I Would like all the info i can get. I've been around the area and checked out all that I can but there is nothing better than word of mouth.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Traffic could be fairly bad due to being the main link between the Dublin and Tipp roads and also providing access to UL.

The area has a shop and stuff, which is pretty basic stuff, but lots of places don't. I seem to recall something about a bus route for that road, but none exists at the moment. The 308 goes from the main Dublin road at TK Maxx though or the Euro Bus stops on the roundabout by the shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

A good few of that development are wooden framed houses which a lot of people dont like. Also remember when I was buying my house 4 years ago that the houses in that region did not increase in value along with the rest of the city even before the down turn.

Most of the estates along that road are devoted to UL housing so bear in mind in a few years time you culd be living in the new elm park

Traffic wise your elected to raheen just drop out onto the ring road and your their.

The main road linking B&Q to castletroy is going to get alot busier if they close the southill link road exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

sioda wrote: »
    Most of the estates along that road are devoted to UL housing so bear in mind in a few years time you culd be living in the new elm park

I don't think so tbh, its quite a distance to the college from there, and you've College Court, Elm Park, Briarfield, Oaklawns, Brookfield, Groody, Courtyard, CurraBrain (sp?) and the 5 on-campus villages. In Bru Na Grudan, its mostly working people. I doubt it if many students would find themselves down that far away unless they are quiet enough people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

One of my friends like there, and the houses look fine to me. The traffic can be avoided in the morning going out to Raheen, if you go "cross-country" across by Ballysheedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

sioda wrote: »
    A good few of that development are wooden framed houses which a lot of people don't like......CHOP

Hi - I don't want to appear to be posting just to contradict Sioda or anything - But we were quite uncertain about buying a timber-frame house in Dooradoyle a few years back & I just wanted to add an opinion.

This method of construction is easy to heat beyond belief; for example one Sun. morning in Jan. we flew into a freezing winter storm Shannon after a 2 week break in Lanzarote - the house was toasty ~30 mins after arriving in the front door which I couldn't believe at the time.... Wouldn't go for anything else at this point - especially with what's coming re. fuel/heating costs.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Raiser no probs just some people just dont like them I know they are easy to heat and the walls often come pre-insulated. Personally I like the idea but have heard from people who have been and still are that they would prefer a brick house. Yes I live in a stone house.

On the utter stupidity side one person did once mention that it would burn down quicker takes all types to make up the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tadhgc

I was one of the first to buy one of these houses.....the 4 bed semi detached houses are 1,580 sq feet.......and they are now selling for €275k Go about a mile and a bit up the road to Newtown road just beyond Monaleen (next year a link road from the roundabout at the entrance to Caislean na hAbhann will join up to the Golf Links Road & The Monaleen Schoolhouse Road-where the Glantain estate is) and you will find a 4 bed semi-detached house will set you back anything between €325k & €350k and only measures up at 1,233 sq feet - 22% smaller.

Yes the houses are timber frame but are seriously easy to heat and often you won't even require use of the heating as the house seems to almost heat itself for much of the year! They are well insulated too so you are not going to be hearing anything from your neighbours.

The neighbourhood is nice.......it's very quite.......a few kids around alright - almost all owner occupiers so far as I can tell at the moment - plenty of families, plenty of first time buyers too. The estate is in the catchment area for Monaleen Primary School & also for Castletroy College ......very convenient as they will both be very easy to get to when the new road is opened and your kids are eligible to go there. Also a creche up the road as well.

The field in front of the estate is up for sale with planning permission for a boutique hotel, shop & pub. Whether the developer that purchases it builds those or not is another matter.

The traffice aint too bad either and with regard to the students.....you are as far away from them as the residents of the Golf Links road are......enough said.

All in all I'm very happy with the house, the builders and the location. While we would all like to buy a house at a better price I think Caislean Na hAbhann is definitely the best market value out there in Limerick at the moment for the size of the house & the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

If you are thinking of buying one of the new houses in the development then look for a house that faces away from the entrance of the estate i.e. front of the house facing towards the groody. I reason for this is that if you intend of getting sky tv the back of your house would be facing the right direction and installation would be cheaper. Otherwise you will need a very large pole to be placed at the back or side of your house which is an eyesore and expensive to do. The builders there are extremely strict with what they will allow happen in there which is a good thing but it is a very badly laid out place in my opinion and is caught in area of high traffic at peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

steveon wrote: »
    If you are thinking of buying one of the new houses in the development then look for a house that faces away from the entrance of the estate i.e. front of the house facing towards the groody. I reason for this is that if you intend of getting sky tv the back of your house would be facing the right direction and installation would be cheaper. Otherwise you will need a very large pole to be placed at the back or side of your house which is an eyesore and expensive to do. The builders there are extremely strict with what they will allow happen in there which is a good thing but it is a very badly laid out place in my opinion and is caught in area of high traffic at peak times.

yea thats a very important reason when purchasing a house:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

the 4 bed semi detached houses are 1,580 sq feet....... and you will find a 4 bed semi-detached house will set you back anything between €325k & €350k and only measures up at 1,233 sq feet - 22% smaller.
    I do not know the houses or the layouts but is 1,233 sq feet a bit small for a 4 bed semi-detached house ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arethosemyfeett

Has the price of the houses droppped at all or is it likely to in the climate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

yes they've dropped, and yes they'll continue to drop, even moreso now that dell and co are out of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

zuroph wrote: »
    yes they've dropped, and yes they'll continue to drop, even moreso now that dell and co are out of here.

Possibly a good thing to come out of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I don't think so tbh, its quite a distance to the college from there, and you've College Court, Elm Park, Briarfield, Oaklawns, Brookfield, Groody, Courtyard, CurraBrain

Yea I think the houses in some of these estates are now empty all year around finally. the students are using the accommodation assigned to them. at least I hope they are because they are destroying castletroy. It used to be full of familys,kids and dogs. now its full of buckfast, smashed glass, students lying on the footpaths drunk, shouting abuse at people and speeding their cars all over the place.

Where is Caislean na hAbhann? passed groody is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah passed groody, and past Brookefield apts i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭trentf

TheLoc wrote: »
    Yea I think the houses in some of these estates are now empty all year around finally. the students are using the accommodation assigned to them. at least I hope they are because they are destroying castletroy. It used to be full of familys,kids and dogs. now its full of buckfast, smashed glass, students lying on the footpaths drunk, shouting abuse at people and speeding their cars all over the place.

Yeah im getting sick of the damage these clowns are doing to castletroy used to be a nice place. Irish people have got to be one of the most dirtiest disrespectful people when it comest to keeping their environment clean i mean i know its student ville down there and all that but it looks like iraq sometimes down there with all the litter and bottles thrown there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Funkstard

TheLoc wrote: »

trentf wrote: »
    Yeah im getting sick of the damage these clowns are doing to castletroy used to be a nice place. Irish people have got to be one of the most dirtiest disrespectful people when it comest to keeping their environment clean i mean i know its student ville down there and all that but it looks like iraq sometimes down there with all the litter and bottles thrown there.

Am currently lying on the footpath, drunk, shouting at people and also have a penchant for vileness. Jesus Christ!

I know a few students living in the aforementioned estate, surprised they haven't razed houses in a rampage of alcohol fuelled destruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Raiser wrote: »
    Hi - I don't want to appear to be posting just to contradict Sioda or anything - But we were quite uncertain about buying a timber-frame house in Dooradoyle a few years back & I just wanted to add an opinion.

This method of construction is easy to heat beyond belief; for example one Sun. morning in Jan. we flew into a freezing winter storm Shannon after a 2 week break in Lanzarote - the house was toasty ~30 mins after arriving in the front door which I couldn't believe at the time.... Wouldn't go for anything else at this point - especially with what's coming re. fuel/heating costs.....

Although an enormously important consideration these times no doubt fuel and heating costs are not the only concern. I am sure that concrete built houses have come along way also in recent years and the cost of heating a well constructed and insulated concrete home would be somewhat comparable or at least not far off the mark.

I always got the impression timber frame houses were tinny and cheap...accommmodation for the masses. Although a previous poster pointed it out as a silly notion a fire hazard would seem like a real treat to me....without being an overly cautious person. At least with a well constructed house there would be a much better chance of containing a fire better for longer I would be thinking. Would flood damage totally destroy the internal walls of a timber frame house? Is our damp and windy Irish climate really suitable for such houses? Would rot or wood-worm be a concern down the line. As I believe timber frame houses are a relatively recent phenomon in Ireland I think it will be a some years yet before we can tell.

Original Poster are you still in the market for a house? Do you perhaps have any DAFT or myhome links to the property you mentioned. I also am looking at getting on the property ladder (not at todays prices though) and have Castletroy in my head as working there. Also have the prices dropped for these houses since your original post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Hi lads. This is really important for me. I've heard rumours that there is a monaleen bus that leaves from monaleen credit union into town. Is this true? I really need to know because I could be moving out around monaleen very soon but my girlfriend works in town. I dont think it would suite her to walk 40 minutes down to the 302/308 bus stops in the rain. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

trentf wrote: »

As a final year U.L student who has lived in 1)Courtyard student village, 2)Brookfield student village and 3)Bru na Gruadan (current address) all in the area of caisleann na habhann, i have to argue that it is a very small percent of students who are "wrecking castletroy", and most of these students are living in the cheaper accom. in elm park/milford grange/college court. As a serious students, i can count the number of nights i have been out in my 3rd and 4th yrs on one hand! and i keep my house and garden tidy/respect our neighbours etc. The most trouble we have in our end of bru na gruadan is the amount of foreign nationals and their kids (often quite young and unattended cycling around, running around) this is a nightmare driving in and out, and it is a miracle that there hasnt been a child knocked down yet. There are also a number of families from rougher estates being rehoused in the area. However, caisleann na habhann is away from the built up hub of that road, and is much more private. One complaint i would have is that the developers/council are not very good to maintain the green areas....last summer the grass was waist high...it was like a jungle. also alot of grafitti has appeared (IN POLISH) around. but i love living here! just dont tar all students with the same brush!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bettie

amybabes wrote: »
    As a final year U.L student who has lived in 1)Courtyard student village, 2)Brookfield student village and 3)Bru na Gruadan (current address) all in the area of caisleann na habhann, i have to argue that it is a very small percent of students who are "wrecking castletroy", and most of these students are living in the cheaper accom. in elm park/milford grange/college court. As a serious students, i can count the number of nights i have been out in my 3rd and 4th yrs on one hand! and i keep my house and garden tidy/respect our neighbours etc. The most trouble we have in our end of bru na gruadan is the amount of foreign nationals and their kids (often quite young and unattended cycling around, running around) this is a nightmare driving in and out, and it is a miracle that there hasnt been a child knocked down yet. There are also a number of families from rougher estates being rehoused in the area. However, caisleann na habhann is away from the built up hub of that road, and is much more private. One complaint i would have is that the developers/council are not very good to maintain the green areas....last summer the grass was waist high...it was like a jungle. also alot of grafitti has appeared (IN POLISH) around. but i love living here! just dont tar all students with the same brush!!

<snip>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Zombie thread, stupidly bumped. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement