Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races

Options
  • 25-07-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Well nearly that time of year when Galway Skies will be filled with whirlies! Cant wait, races though...fcuk em i want to snap helicopters!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

And I may put up an atc feed,

Confirmation to follow!:D

Ill be working there so Ill have a birds eye view all day everyday!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Steyr wrote: »
    Well nearly that time of year when Galway Skies will be filled with whirlies! Cant wait, races though...fcuk em i want to snap helicopters!:)

Keep an eye out and see if the numbers this year are down.
    From what I have heard of late the number of helis operating around Galway have dropped in response to ar** falling out of the property devleopment game.

I am not allowed discuss …

Without going into too much detail, we are only recruiting 12 of the 20 we had last year, the people working with the heli's aren't recruiting as much either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

darragh-k wrote: »
    Without going into too much detail, we are only recruiting 12 of the 20 we had last year, the people working with the heli's aren't recruiting as much either...
    ?
    I think he meant the amount of heli's will be down and i must agree. I guess thats why they are pushing for 'family rides to the races'. Although i'm sure the wednesday and thursday will be as busy as ever.

and +1 for the atc feed! :)

• Advertisement

I think he meant the amount of heli's will be down

That what I meant too!
    I meant they aren't employing as many on the ground in the racecourse as they were last year so it's obviously not going to be as busy.

I have just read that in excess of 200,000 people are expected in this years event!
    Already Galway Tower is extremely busy with 3 ifr inbounds, 2 ifr departures(1 a private jet!:D) and 5 vfr items, 2 in circuit and 1 inbound and 2 lads going out to abbeyshrule, I can't wait until Monday. I'm just waiting for a reply from operations in the airport as to whether or not I can put up the feed, I said I would consult them as it is them that will be on the internet! He seemed to like the idea and just asked for a sample of the audio so I will let you all know..

which frequency do you intend to do? Galway tower or racecourse 'tower'?

I'm thinking Galway as the other one won't be managed by an atco.

eh?! Yes it would...!

• Advertisement

No, I was told it will be a FIS(Flight Information Service) type setup, not air traffic control, but not a million miles off what controllers do either, ie. the "controller" giving the FIS cannot tell the pilot what to do, only advise it of traffic in its area that may affect, pilots will advise when landing and the radio operator may give winds, but not clearance, it is not an atco. Its the service you would get in Connemara.

Also, the feed will be here: http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/eicm It will start at 10:30 tomorrow morning through to about 10 in the evening. It will serve 122.500(Galway Tower). I just have to buy a cable so it will reach the attic for better coverage of planes/heli's on the ground.

Also, as for the racecourse. There are 7 helipads I think all numbered in case you here that on frequency. ALL are at the South East of the race course

i understand but it will be the galway tower boys controlling, and they, obviously are atco's ;) a misunderstanding on both our parts!
    And there are 4 landing pads, alpha bravo charlie and delta from what i gather... ;):)

And there are 4 landing pads, alpha bravo charlie and delta from what i gather... ;):)

I stand corrected:)

Alright lads, due to technical difficulties the feed is being put off for a very short time. You will get atc from Galway don't worry!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

darragh-k wrote: »

Listening now. Cool. EDIT: Actually I can't understand anything there saying. Quality is really bad!!

How are you getting this feed onto the liveatc btw?

Scanner > PC > upload ??? Simple as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I had it on earlier. You could hear this woman giving directions to a pilot and next thing it turned to music:
    Lets call out his name
    Tommy k tommy k
    Tommy k the d.j.
    Tommy k tommy k

Very Funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Cant make out a single word they are saying so went onto www.liveatc.net and am now listening to Shannon.

Ha sorry lads, that would be my sister. I tuned in on the laptop earlier and I got it fine! could hear it perfectly. Ill take it down thenso until I get the right equipment, which I will be getting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

ahh put it back was fun

• Advertisement

amen wrote: »
    ahh put it back was fun

lol, Ill throw in a bit of the saw docs for ye as well!:p:D

Sure Ill try my best to get a good quality for ye, no point otherwise!

Advertisement