Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Lease - Notice Period?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

As the title alludes to, our lease expired in June 2008 and we didn't write up a new one - i'm moving out and just wondering what minimum notice I have to give?

The original lease required a month.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends on how long you have been in the house.

Less than 6 months = 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to a year = 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years = 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years = 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years = 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 years or more = 16 weeks (112 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

smccarrick wrote: »
    It depends on how long you have been in the house.

Less than 6 months = 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to a year = 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years = 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years = 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years = 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 years or more = 16 weeks (112 days)

Groan - thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its laid down in the Residential Tenancies Act, at just more than a year I think its 42 days - however you can agree a shorter time with your landlord, if he agrees. If you want, argue the one month period with you landlord, but they might not agree.

http://www.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Terminating_Tenancy.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Most landlords will accept 30 days if you offer it. Ask them if its acceptable to them...if they respond favourably then it will overrule the Acts minimum notice period. If they dont agree then you will have to give them the full notice period.

Advertisement