Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodyboarders in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ordered a bodyboard. now what should I do about fins? all I need are fins right? Would tubes do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hey bro,

sorry meant to post back to ya about the board but totally forgot?? So what kind of board did you get yourself?

As for fins i would recommend churchill makapus. I use em myself and they are super comfy and give you a good burst when trying to catch the wave. I wold recommend that when buying that you wear a pair of thick sports socks when trying them on as you will be wearing fin socks in the winter and if your fins are too small and the water is cold hen it aint worth thinking about. I got mine in the surf company in fundoran. You can take a look at them here

http://www.waveblasters.com/finschurchill.html

Call a few surf shops around the country as i would usually buy local than of the net. So where do you surf? Im in sligo if your ever up this way for a few waves. Also try and get your hands on a few dvds as it will help you with positioning and some basic manouveres. Or check out here to get some pointers.....
    http://www.waveblasters.com/videos.html and check out a website called videojug as i think there are some tutorials on it from the portugese champion.

Heya,

I got a Circle one 42" Ultra Body Board, wasn't that dear, so shoudl do the job for now. I'm in Limerick and would go to either Lahinch or Brandon. I've been leaning more towards Brandon as it's not as crowded these days...
    I would have had some great fun on a bodyboard last Sunday.
    Is it hard to get into the swing of it. It looks like it could be pretty straight forward. I've been checking youtube.

I'll check tubes in Limk for some fins.

well ive been at it almost two yrs and still not got the hang of it. Having sed that i havn got out as much as i like so i cant get the practice in but i persevere. Make sure the fins are not rock solid either as my first pair were cheap ones and cut the bejaysus out of my feet. You will pay for comfort but well worth it in my view. Will give you a holla nxt time im down in lahinch for a few waves.

Laters

just got my board in the post and got a leash with it. The hole seems really small to fit the leash through. Seems there's a plug, is it something you screw off, put the leash through, and screw it on again?

• Advertisement

Thats sounds about right. Dont try and make the hole any bigger as you want the hole to be plugged so as water will not leak in. Once you push the plug through screw on the base and tighten it up so it is well flush with the board and tight against the slick side of the board.
    check this website out. all you will need to know about BB is here
    http://www.kernowbodyboarding.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2565

happy sponging bro

yeahm checked out the site. I have the plug in the board, but suppose I should screw it off and see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Kryx

Hey guys, just want to introduce myself here. Been on boards now for a while but didn't even think about looking for fellow bb's. I've been boarding now for a whle but living in Dublin and college doesn't leave that much time for a few waves. But seeming summer is coming up and free for a couple of months, I really want to start boarding regularly maybe even a few trips out west. Anyone have any advice for getting back into it whilst in Dublin?? e.g. know of any good spots, shops or anything at all

Peace

couple of good spots towards killiney i believe. Was living in dub myself for a while but i just came out west to sligo/donegal most weekends as the consistancy is much better. If your ever up around sligo/bundoran then give me a shout and il show you a few choice spots. Streedagh will be good this weekend aswell as tullan and rossnowlagh.

njoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bbkee

Hey, I am a new bodyboarder to west cork and never seen any others out so far. Will be going more often to long strand mostly but it would be cool to meet others in the area for a surf and see some new spots. It would be cool to surf with others out there as we are a rare breed. give me a shout if you are going sometime. kee

• Advertisement

Go to group CORK BODYBOARDING on Facebook, i created thia page for a way for bodyboarders from Cork and all over to share info and meet. Please take a look and spread the word!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Kryx

Cool idea bbkee, joined the group on facebook. And cheers Frag420 for the input, busy doing exams at the moment but as soon as those finish will head over west.
    Peace

is it just for cork spongers or can anyone join??

Funk it il join anyway......................if ye will have me. il look for ye now.

SWISH

cant find it on bacefook!!!

if anyine here can link me to it or look me up on bacefook.................frag fourtwenty( profile pic has me looking like gene simmons from kiss)

swish

Hi Kryx and Frag420.
    Kryx did you join yet? Yep Frag anyone can join, half the people on there are from cornwall at the mo, hopefully there will be a good mix of origins so we can all share info of breaks and find help of planning trips etc.

Mainly i started the facebook cos everyone seems to be on it and so i might see some other bodyboarders out in the lineup!

Anyway here is the link to cork bodyboarding page http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=73215532140

hopefully this site allows links, if not search my facebook: kieran walker (there are probably **** loads tho) and find the link or there is an email: corkbodyboarding@gmail.com if none of those work.

Cheers for spreading the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 glamourfish

Hey Boogers! What's up!?
    I hadn't been on a sponge in about 8 years until the weekend before last! Besides my back nearly breaking, it was amazing being back in the water and I am hooked again. I'd been boarding since I was about 11 -so i am loving being back in the water, but living out in Dublin doesn't make it easy!
    Anybody been to the flowrider in the NAC? I hear it's pretty small, but I wonder if it could be any good just for getting back into things...?
    I reckon we need to start a petion to get the NAC to install a 5 0r 10 Double Flowrider: http://waveloch.com/flowbarrel/10Double. This would be the perfect answer for all of out stuck in Dublin.
    Quick question. what are the best spots around Ireland for bodyboarding?

WOOOO!!! Just got a call from UPS - new board being delivered tomorrow! Can't wait to see it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fiachy

Ok so i dont actually bodyboard myself but ive seen a few people bodyboarding off a reef near mullaghmore in sligo... looks like a long enough paddle but i didnt see anyone there except for a load of bodyboarders so its probly not too bad...

But then again i only saw it like 2 times so i dont know wat swell it works in or anything like that...

Hope that helps ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

will i be warned for necro-posting ?

getting back to bodyboard this weekend... can't wait...

do you gius know if there will be many in lahinch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 partybarnacles

hey, me and a few mates bodyboard most weekends up in InnisEoghan (provided there is swell). only ever seen one other booger from strabane there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

cool cool - long drive from galway if i need to get back the same day

any cheap accommodation you would recommend ?

i'm thinking about going to kell this weekend anyways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 partybarnacles

tis a long journey indeed, never really venture down to south donegal although i should because there is a lot more reef breaks but these tend to attract crowds which i'm not used to at all in innishowen. not to sure about accommodation, i usually just bring a tent on long trips

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

Hey guys im also a bodyboarder and mostly surf Garretstown. You still surfing there??
    I never see any BBs. I surf Garretstown Inchydoney and Ownahincha. mostly Garretstown though. Inch strand and castlefreake if im working down in Kerry. will be working in Galway for a week soon so hopefully will get to surf Lahinch which i have never done.. why is everyone so into surfing way more fun on a BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

should i use normal wax on my board or bodyboard wax. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kevmc1180 wrote: »
    should i use normal wax on my board or bodyboard wax. ???
    I always used normal wax when I used bot BB, any soft ish wax will do, something likes sticky bumps is good

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

Im a biscuit boarder based in Galway. Anyone interested in car sharing get in touch. I've loads of free time at the mo so wanting to make the most of it. Have car, will travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I'm maybe heading to Doughmore Co Clare tomorrow, does anyone know if its any good for the bodyboarding ?

Could be, watch out for the currents and shifting sands. You'd want to know the safe spots to go in.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pedru_pereira

Hey boogies. I'm arrinving Dublin next January and i'm a bit addicted to BB. I've been doing it in Portugal almost dailly early in the morning.

Is there any chance to do it in the east coast?? Sorry i dont know anything abt surfing in Ireland.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Yes but only after a strong southerly wind you get wind swell, Killiney gets some ok waves for BB nothing like Portugal though, you really need to head west coast, welcome to the world of a weekend warrior - hope you like driving and the cold - if you do you'll score some amazing waves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pedru_pereira

Thanks! Yes i saw some videos abt Irish BIG swell on the west coast. It is amazing! However, i dont think i'll get enough oportunities to travel to west coast. And yes.. i'm really reluctant to enter those freezing waters, not that portuguese atlantic coast water is warm but... i believe i need a diving wetsuit :(

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post youtube links here but, there it goes:

Some of the best portuguese riders in irish waters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsCTgKN-zNw

At a portuguese beachbreak: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pp3Yki-ytU (something i would never do!)

Advertisement