Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unoriginal Irish Companies

• 25-07-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

I find it very disheartening, the lack of originality I see from Irish companies.

Ireland's got a rich culture, and long history. Irish people are regarded as the friendliest and funniest in the world. People travel from all over the world, to visit Ireland.

So, why is it, that so many things produced in Ireland, are just poor imitations of things done, much more succesfully in other countries?

For example, there's a gap in the market for an Irish clothing wear company aimed at young people. There's a whole world of opportunity to create something new, interesting and uniquely Irish, and what do we get?

Farrell and Brown, a shop which couldn't be any more of a rip off of Abercrombie and Fitch.

Same goes for just about anything RTE has produced in the last 10 years.

Don't feed the Gondolas - Whose line is it anyway
    Naked Camera - Candid Camera (And countless similar shows)
    You're a Star - Pop Idol

A huge amount of new architecture, found around Ireland, too is Dull and derivative.

Chartbusters - Blockbusters.

Eddie Rockets - Johnny Rockets

Now, I'm not advocating a return to Oirish Cliches. Thing's can be Irish while still being innovative and modern.
    Higher end restaurants are one example. There's a lot of places which are good, modern and have an unmistakable Irish quality to them.

Some bars too. Places like the Porterhouse, which is modern, innovative, and yet keeps much of the same atmosphere of a traditional Irish Pub.

So, why is it, that there's so few Irish Businesses willing to try something diffferent nowadays? In this globalised world, it's imperative that places, create a sense of place. There's no point in travelling somewhere, if it's going to be the same as everywhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I would say the main reason for doing these things is there is more money to be made relatively easily by copying an already successful idea.

This is not an Irish thing this is a world thing you mention the Irish pub appeal of the porterhouse, but this is not a new idea this is in fact an idea that has been done around the world and done to death.
    I would rather a nicely designed laid out bar than a mock oldey irish style pub.

With the TV shows how many other countries have copied big brother
    america copied pop idol and so on.

In summation
    Successful ideas will always be copied, i dont see this as an Irish thing but a world wide thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I don't think this is the case in Ireland only. It's like this everywhere you go really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Donkeys R'Us Plc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Irish innovation? How about Steorn? I don't recall any American companies managing to drum up support by violating the Laws of Thermodynamics.
    Blisterman wrote:
    For example, there's a gap in the market for an Irish clothing wear company aimed at young people. There's a whole world of opportunity to create something new, interesting and uniquely Irish, and what do we get?
    There's no gap in the market. Do you seriously think 16-24 year olds are waiting for a line of "uniquely Irish" clothing?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

28064212 wrote: »

There's no gap in the market. Do you seriously think 16-24 year olds are waiting for a line of "uniquely Irish" clothing?

Only on 17th March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Blisterman wrote: »
    Chartbusters - Blockbusters.

i believe they might be the same company. I'm open to correction on that though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i believe they might be the same company. I'm open to correction on that though

Blockbusters own Xtravision.

Chartbusters is owned by the bloke that used to Xtravision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Blisterman wrote: »
    I find it very disheartening, the lack of originality I see from Irish companies.

So, why is it, that so many things produced in Ireland, are just poor imitations of things done, much more succesfully in other countries?

Do you mean the Irish Film Board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

All the damn money went into the damn property gold rush and now we have no damn businesses and a lot of damn debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Irish fashion ??!!, wtf, do you mean Aran Jumpers and suchlike, yep that'll catch on in Milan, New York and London...

Now never force me to unleash the powah of double !!'s!! again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement