Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Connect to Internet directly through the Modem

Options
  • 25-07-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

So the internet works fine when my desktop is connect via a router. However if I try to bypass the router and connect my desktop directly to the modem I get nothing :confused: any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it is indeed just a modem, then you'll need to set up a PPPoE connection on your desktop in order to be able to connect to the Internet.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283070

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Could you give details of your set up exactly? the modem may be a router which has been put into bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Perhaps you have custom settings put into your Local Area Connection's TCP/IP properties, such as the Default Gateway and Subnet Mask?

Other than that, you can try plugging in the modem, and repairing your connection. Or, you could disable the Local Area Connection and re-enable it again.

If none of that applies or works for you, then your problem is probably deeper and possibly resides within your modem as already suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

dub45 wrote: »
    Could you give details of your set up exactly? the modem may be a router which has been put into bridge mode?

Its a UPC setup. Modem is Scientic Atlanta and router is a Netgear WGR614. Usuall I connect the desktop via a Netgear USB wireless adapter. I tried hooking up the desktop straight to the modem to do a speed check and found that it wouldn't connect to the internet. It will connect if I hook up the modem to the router and the router to the desktop via wire.
    DECEiFER wrote: »
    Perhaps you have custom settings put into your Local Area Connection's TCP/IP properties, such as the Default Gateway and Subnet Mask?

Other than that, you can try plugging in the modem, and repairing your connection. Or, you could disable the Local Area Connection and re-enable it again.

If none of that applies or works for you, then your problem is probably deeper and possibly resides within your modem as already suggested.

I have port forwarded the router. I tried going back to obtain IP automatically but I kept getting an error message saying "could not obtain an IP address"

Alos I tried my old Motorola NTL modem and I couldn't get the internet working at all

Do UPC use MAC address filtering, i.e. if you change your router or PC you need to register the new MAC? I know it's the case on some cable networks.

Try spoofing the MAC of the WAN port on your router maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'm with upc aswell and had this problem but got it fixed by goin to properties on the lan and selectin auto for the ip and dns in tcp/ip settins

Advertisement