Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directional POI's

• 25-07-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭

Does anybody know how to set up Garmin or TomTom POI's so that they are directional i.e say if i'm driving north on the motorway, i would like to get notified of any speed traps that i'm approaching & not to be notified of any speed traps south bound on the motorway. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I seem to remember seeing something a while ago when manually messing around with some POI files that there was an angle or direction field and you just needed to put in 0 or 180 in a particular column, or a relatively close angle to which way the road was going. I never actually changed any of those fields though and cannot remember exactly where I found the details for it on the web anymore.

I'm certain it is possible with the Garmin format though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

On TT's you can opt to be alerted of upcoming POI's only if on your route .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't believe it's possible with Garmin POIs. In Mapsource there is a 'proximity' parameter you can set for each waypoint which is going to be stored as a speed camera POI but you can't give a directional parameter to indicate that you only want to be alerted when approaching from one direction so all you can do is throw a circle around the speed trap and you'll get the warning when coming at it from either direction.

In some cases this isn't a bad thing as the Gardai do speed checks on both sides of the N11 near UCD but I can understand that with static Gatso cameras they're only pointing in one direction but the way things are you have to get the warning when coming at the camera from either direction.

Advertisement