Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the rectus abdominus muscle seperated into 6 segments?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is posted in the right place but I was just wondering why the abs are seperated into 6 segments rather than being one large flat muscle (I know its one muscle but why the 6 parts!?). Is there a benefit in flexibility or what is it? Also what is it that seperates them cartilage or ligaments or something else?

Thanks in advance. I know strange questions but I'm a strange person :-).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Don't know if this is posted in the right place but I was just wondering why the abs are seperated into 6 segments rather than being one large flat muscle (I know its one muscle but why the 6 parts!?). Is there a benefit in flexibility or what is it? Also what is it that seperates them cartilage or ligaments or something else?

Thanks in advance. I know strange questions but I'm a strange person :-).

6 Segments?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Rectus_abdominis.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Wasn't aware of the 2 at the top but arn't the bottom two known as the abdominus transversalis?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Wasn't aware of the 2 at the top but arn't the bottom two known as the abdominus transversalis?

Still the abs!

Yeah fair enough but why the seperation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

At a guess, I'd say the six different section's work in conjuction each other to aid movement as opposed to one singular large muscle.

My second guess is, I'd look stupid with a one pack:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

The fibrous bands that run horizontally through the rectus abdominis help transmit the hoop forces generated by transverse abdominis and the internal and external obliques. Without these bands, the force generated by those muscles would tear rectus abdominis apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Real question is Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

Since we are on this topic i have a question..........

........ Why is the sky blue?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

light going through nitrogen particles or was that fishfingers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The rectus abdominus is actually split into ten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BJohnson wrote: »
    The fibrous bands that run horizontally through the rectus abdominis help transmit the hoop forces generated by transverse abdominis and the internal and external obliques. Without these bands, the force generated by those muscles would tear rectus abdominis apart.

Dr Supercell says a big brush paints over small details.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

Supercell wrote: »
    Dr Supercell says a big brush paints over small details.

Sorry, maybe I can be more clear. It's an interesting question.

Rectus abdominis has fibres that run up and down. The obliques and transverse abdominis have fibres that run horizontally, generating force in a circle around the abdomen. Where these muscles attach into rectus abdominis, they pull outwards on the muscle. Having fibrous bands that run through rectus abdominis in the same direction as the muscular forces being produced by the obliques and transverse abdominis allow rectus abdominis to withstand more pressure from the surrounding muscles. If those fibrous bands were absent, a strong contraction by the obliques and transverse abdominis could pull rectus abdominis outwards with enough force to rip it apart.

As with a lot of things in anatomy, it's not a question of "why" is it like that, since animals didn't make a decision to develop in any particular way. The question is more one of what advantage could that structure provide in an evolutionary sense.

Does that make more sense?

Yeah thats great pretty much answers my question thanks alot :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Superdub2 wrote: »
    Since we are on this topic i have a question..........

........ Why is the sky blue?? :D

Simple answer. Light shines through nitrogen particles as said before.

complicated answer
    http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Muscles tend to suit the bones that are moved by them, in this case think spine!
    the spine moves at every vertabrae so needs a different muscle type than say the tricep for extending your arm! 1 long normal muscle would just make you move funny! crap explanation but i hope you get it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

God made the world in a week, an ab per day for 6 and took Sunday off. If he hadn't been so lazy we'd all have 7 packs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

Simple answer. Light shines through nitrogen particles as said before.

complicated answer
    http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html

So its not because of the reflection off the worlds oceans?? oh no thats why the oceans are blue!:confused:

Advertisement