Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewals 'Computer Firearms Section'

Options
  • 25-07-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of people who are heavily into this sport, in one way or another, I have invested in fairly good security for my home - safes, monitored alarm etc. I've also had the CPO up for a look see and taken his comments on board. All in all, I would feel with some confidence that I've done my bit to keep my firearms safe and secure.

Also, with security in mind, I like to be able to decide who I tell about my shooting interests and that I possess firearms. I like to make that decision, whether it's just someone at work or my next door neighbour !

Today that decision was taken out of my hands.

I received 3 renewals in the post (one missing). Luckily for me, my neighbour came knocking with the missing letter. "Oh he says I see you must do some shooting ?"

No, he did not open the envelope, he is not exactly Sherlock Homes but then again why would he need to be when every renewal letter has a return address for (Computer Firearms Section) stuck right on the front. I'm sure the local postman will also thread softly on our driveway from now on as well as he will see loads of these and now knows all the houses where there are guns (our postman is a good guy by the way - not implying anything against him just making the point).

Really, if they need a return address (they actually don't the Ceadunas 59number is a reference) then why not pick CFS or something that they would understand locally rather than telling everyone seeing the envelope that it relates to Firearms.

This is an dreadfully insecure way to send out renewals. It defies belie and actually makes a joke of being asked to provide secure accommodation especially for those living in towns and city areas where guns (at least legally held ones)are far more the exception and people get freaked out more easily if they know you have a firearm.

I shall be mentioning it at the Station when I bring in my cheque and a copy of one of the envelopes with my comments will hit the Minister's desk in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Very good point freddieot (renewed mine today)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fair point allright. There are numerous horror stories from the point of view of someone who's concerned about this sort of thing - people being required to bring firearms to the station for renewal, application forms that go missing, that sort of thing.
    Mind you, it's not just the Gardai, I've heard of rifles being shipped via An Post to people in the past and being left by the postman leaning up against the front door all day until the recipient came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

Sparks, agreed, I've also heard several stories about rifles being posted to individuals (including dealers) as you mention. In many cases, (not all) they are not declared as Firearms. An Post would consider them just as ordinary parcels. Firearms detected in the post without an obvious notice from the Gardai allowing movement are held for Garda inspection and firearms from abroad if detected in the system are handed to Customs.

No excuse of course, but not the same as sending out approximately 225,000 renewal letters without considering the security impact of the return address.

I've personally held firearms for over 15 years and my neighbours, until now, had no idea that I shoot. I would have expected more 'cop-on' from whomever is responsible for sending out these notices. They are quick enough to demand all sorts of often ludicrous security precautions when it suits their purpose. I've always believed that the 'basics' and common sense are more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This is the first year that they have used Computer Firearms Section on the envelopes. In previous years it just said Garda Headquarters. Still not rocket science to work out the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Didn't recieve mine yet, but so much for security, we have to be more than secure, and then they go and broadcast who are holding firearm's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Didnt get mine yet, but am going in to pay it anyhow (saturday being the only chance i get) and also handing in application for 2 new guns i bought yesterday:eek: (bsa hornet pcp air rifle, and u/o shottie).

i think ill make a tee-hee joke with them about the brown envelopes:pac:.

its not the gards fault after all, but i agree with that security thing, esp. for people living in city areas!

Advertisement